Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat swap thread?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've been asked to swap 3 or 4 times and I've pretty much always said yes. Once the FA gave me something for doing it; I think it was a $25 voucher. I'm pretty sure I've asked to trade too. Yes, if I was asked to swap to a significantly worse seat I'd probably say no, especially if it was a long flight. I'm pretty sure that one of the times I was asked to swap for for a couple going to Bermuda for their honeymoon (I was going to Bermuda on business). I doubt there's that much difference of one MCE seat from another. Anyway, unless I think I'm asking the person to trade their much better seat for my much worse one, I wouldn't feel I was being a DYKWIA just for asking.

The thread did make me think though that there should be an FT button, lapel pin, etc. that would let us recognize one another.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
I've been asked to swap 3 or 4 times and I've pretty much always said yes.
Same here. A couple times I've given up an aisle seat for a middle or window seat on a trans Atlantic flight. No, I didn't want to. Yes, I survived!

In both of these cases, I was traveling alone. The person requesting the trade wasn't. I would hope that someone would do the same for me should the situation arise.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remedy
[left]I HATE seat swaps, but...
Will hypocritically be asking for one. Mrs. Remedy 3A/me 3E. Hoping for a 3E -> 3B (aisle-to-aisle, Same row) switch on board so we can sit (sleep?) together to GLA.
In this situation, if 3B doesn't want to move (for whatever reason, maybe they sleep on their right side and like to face the aisle), then you still have the opportunity to ask 3F to move over to 3A and you and the Mrs. can have 3E/F.
It would be unusual for BOTH passengers to refuse a like-for-like seat, just on the opposite side of the aisle, but maybe 3A really likes being on the North side of the plane where it's usually darker for longer....
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
If you agree to swap seats, ask to see the other person's boarding pass to be sure they do indeed have the seat they want to exchange with you. I once agreed to swap my aisle seat for someone else's. Like for like, right? I got settled in the new seat, only to have the rightful owner come along and say, "Sir, you're sitting in my seat."
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
In this situation, if 3B doesn't want to move (for whatever reason, maybe they sleep on their right side and like to face the aisle), then you still have the opportunity to ask 3F to move over to 3A and you and the Mrs. can have 3E/F.
It would be unusual for BOTH passengers to refuse a like-for-like seat, just on the opposite side of the aisle, but maybe 3A really likes being on the North side of the plane where it's usually darker for longer....
3B switched happily - nice guy! 3A -> 3F was plan B. Plan A was intended to have a marginally higher chance of all meal choice options; which we ended up having.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:46 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Sometimes GAs can act as "middlemen": when you get to gate present your issue to GA who may page a pax and request a swap. I've been in the reverse situation, a GA paged me and asked if I'd be willing to make do a swap, since I ONLY like window seats, I noted this to GA when I refused.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Navig8R
A DYKWIA will deny the seat swap regardless of the medium (in a forum or in person).
I thought this was an urban legend until I witnessed it earlier this year on Norwegian OSL-LAX. We were flying premium (5A, 5C) and an older American couple was separated with 2 aisle seats (4C and 5D). During boarding they asked the British man in the center seat 5E to swap with the aisle 4C. Config is 2-3-2, so clearly an upgrade swap. He declined, saying he preferred the middle seat, then closed his eyes, clearly not interested in discussing further. He seemed very put out just being asked (the ask was very polite and not at all expecting the swap). After takeoff, he apologized to the couple for being rude, and they swapped seats. People are weird.
wrp96 and Navig8R like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by remedy
I HATE seat swaps, but...
Will hypocritically be asking for one. Mrs. Remedy 3A/me 3E. Hoping for a 3E -> 3B (aisle-to-aisle, Same row) switch on board so we can sit (sleep?) together to GLA. Tried with the EXP desk - no dice. Might try @ the gate. I was called to he desk once to change seats for a honeymoon couple. Maybe I need a good story!
What did you ask the EXP desk? They shouldn't be changing the assignments of other pax just because you want to change
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just a shot in the dark but I'm wondering if any of you are interested in arranging seat swaps ahead of time. Of course this can be done via PM as well in case folks don't want to share their travel plans publicly with AA lurking. For example, my wife and I have a flight coming up where 8B and 9A (MCE on a 738) are available but neither 8AB or 9AB are available together. Of course we'd like two seats together so I'm wondering if the passenger in 8A would be willing to take 9A. I hate asking during the boarding process as you never know what kind of reaction you'll get. Anyway if you all think this is stupid please feel free to ignore :-D
In all honesty many seats will open up as EXP and Plat Pro get upgraded so keep checking the map after 24 before departure. Since you are in MCE you should be able to change your seats in the app to another MCE seat.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
4. They read this thread.
5. They want to swap.. I think a large percentage of people on this thread have reasons for choosing where they sit.
I had this debate with myself last night trying to decide if I wanted the exit row window (14A) or bulkhead aisle on a 738 (AA1070 RSW-DFW)
They were both showing middle seat vacant. I like being on the aisle, but I like how exit row prevents children and pets.
Do to out of control ESAs, most of which I believe are simply pets, I have decided I am going to prefer exit row.
Of course, on RSW-DFW, the flight filled, and both middles were used. I was in an otherwise empty exit row on the outbound Friday night.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Seat swaps are 99.99% of the time super annoying. Don't ask me. Period.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottsam66
Seat swaps are 99.99% of the time super annoying. Don't ask me. Period.
Do you put a sign up? How are we to know?
Because as you've just read, many people are fine being asked, though, yes, there are some who interpret a request as a demand. I suppose it's a matter of tone. Similarly, when you refuse, it can come across as a simple refusal or as extremely DYKWIA . A matter of tone.
That's what I thought the OP was referring to about asking on board.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
Do you put a sign up? How are we to know?
Because as you've just read, many people are fine being asked, though, yes, there are some who interpret a request as a demand. I suppose it's a matter of tone. Similarly, when you refuse, it can come across as a simple refusal or as extremely DYKWIA . A matter of tone.
That's what I thought the OP was referring to about asking on board.
Yup. Very well said. I've also accepted and declined seat swap requests for various reasons. Seems to happen much more on flights to/from India/Asia. One time I was even able to swap a middle for an aisle which of course I was fine with.

Very enlightening to see the posts in this thread. Happy flying everyone!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Just a shot in the dark but I'm wondering if any of you are interested in arranging seat swaps ahead of time. Of course this can be done via PM as well in case folks don't want to share their travel plans publicly with AA lurking. For example, my wife and I have a flight coming up where 8B and 9A (MCE on a 738) are available but neither 8AB or 9AB are available together. Of course we'd like two seats together so I'm wondering if the passenger in 8A would be willing to take 9A. I hate asking during the boarding process as you never know what kind of reaction you'll get. Anyway if you all think this is stupid please feel free to ignore :-D
Do you really need to sit together that so badly that you would bother another passenger about it?
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Hahaha you're kidding right? The whole reason I posted this in the first place was that I don't want to come across as a DYKWIA on board. But apparently I'm wrong for even asking. I never expect anything from anyone these days - people are generally the worst versions of themselves when traveling. But 8A and 9A are identical seats on the 738 so it would be nice if someone would swap, is all I'm saying.
So someone who declines your request is "the worst version of themselves"? Seats are theirs to retain and not yours to demand because you think you cannot be apart from your spouse for a few hours. Newsflash...that's nobody's problem but yours.

YOU are the presumptuous one here. YOU are the one who thinks your wants..and they are just that wants, not needs...are to be granted or the person is somehow terrible.

Common courtesy is not imposing yourself upon others for selfish reasons...not granting each and every selfish request.
ESPECIALROB and AAMillionaire like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.