Wiki Posts
Search

Seat swap thread?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Seat swap thread?

Just a shot in the dark but I'm wondering if any of you are interested in arranging seat swaps ahead of time. Of course this can be done via PM as well in case folks don't want to share their travel plans publicly with AA lurking. For example, my wife and I have a flight coming up where 8B and 9A (MCE on a 738) are available but neither 8AB or 9AB are available together. Of course we'd like two seats together so I'm wondering if the passenger in 8A would be willing to take 9A. I hate asking during the boarding process as you never know what kind of reaction you'll get. Anyway if you all think this is stupid please feel free to ignore :-D
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just a shot in the dark but I'm wondering if any of you are interested in arranging seat swaps ahead of time. Of course this can be done via PM as well in case folks don't want to share their travel plans publicly with AA lurking. For example, my wife and I have a flight coming up where 8B and 9A (MCE on a 738) are available but neither 8AB or 9AB are available together. Of course we'd like two seats together so I'm wondering if the passenger in 8A would be willing to take 9A. I hate asking during the boarding process as you never know what kind of reaction you'll get. Anyway if you all think this is stupid please feel free to ignore :-D
The odds that the passenger in either 8A or 9B meet all of the following criteria, you have better chance to be struck by lightning;

1) They are members of FT
2) They are on your exact flight
3) They occupy the seats you are interested in

Also, not sure how you expect anyone on FT (assuming they met the above criteria) to seat swap with you if the specific flight info isn't shared publicly. There is no reason why one of those two passengers wouldn't be willing to switch rows if the seat type and fare class remain the same. Just ask during boarding
JonNYC, ijgordon, Antarius and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Navig8R
The odds that the passenger in either 8A or 9B meet all of the following criteria, you have better chance to be struck by lightning;

Also, not sure how you expect anyone on FT (assuming they met the above criteria) to seat swap with you if the specific flight info isn't shared publicly. There is no reason why one of those two passengers wouldn't be willing to switch rows if the seat type and fare class remain the same. Just ask during boarding
Haha figured I'd get a response like this. Worth a shot I guess.

I'm happy to ask during boarding but you never know what kind of DYKWIA is having a bad day and will make a scene over nothing. Have seen it too many times of late. Mods feel free to close this thread.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

The passengers on 8A/9B are already meeting #2 and #3 . Really, they need to be members of FT, and actually be active in the AA forum/see this post. That's very unlikely, IMO.

There is no reason why one of those two passengers wouldn't be willing to switch rows if the seat type and fare class remain the same. Just ask during boarding
We had this recently on a last-minute trip where we were scattered across the aisle and asked people to swap with us. It was a hassle because they were also trying to swap to sit closer together. So moving up/back a row to seats that appear the same, it's not always easy to make happen.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
I HATE seat swaps, but...
Will hypocritically be asking for one. Mrs. Remedy 3A/me 3E. Hoping for a 3E -> 3B (aisle-to-aisle, Same row) switch on board so we can sit (sleep?) together to GLA. Tried with the EXP desk - no dice. Might try @ the gate. I was called to he desk once to change seats for a honeymoon couple. Maybe I need a good story!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Alright, I'll play. Let's take this a step further; AA should integrate a seat swap capability into their seat map's. For example, while you're in the seat map, AA should give you the ability to click on the occupied seat(s) that you're interested in, which will launch a pop-up window. Within that pop-up window, you can provide a dollar value for how much you'd pay for that seat. After you hit submit, AA will automatically send an email to the passenger occupying that seat, stating that another passenger would like to purchase your seat. Said passenger has the ability to accept, counter or decline the offer all together. Lets say they accept, said passenger will receive the dollar value entered in the window, AA takes 2% to cover the transaction, everybody wins.

I'm happy to ask during boarding but you never know what kind of DYKWIA is having a bad day and will make a scene over nothing. Have seen it too many times of late. Mods feel free to close this thread.
A DYKWIA will deny the seat swap regardless of the medium (in a forum or in person).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
The passengers on 8A/9B are already meeting #2 and #3 . Really, they need to be members of FT, and actually be active in the AA forum/see this post. That's very unlikely, IMO.

We had this recently on a last-minute trip where we were scattered across the aisle and asked people to swap with us. It was a hassle because they were also trying to swap to sit closer together. So moving up/back a row to seats that appear the same, it's not always easy to make happen.
Exactly. I'm guessing we'll just settle for non MCE seats and move on with life. Or maybe some upgrades will clear and we'll get lucky.

But my bad for asking I guess.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan

If you expect someone to trade seats with you, you are the DYKWIA.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:48 pm

Just check the seat maps at the various elite upgrade times 100/72/48/24 hours before the flights. I often have good luck getting seats together after being in various seats in MCE.

Rule is to never offer someone a worse seat than your own, but you know that.
Navig8R likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
My wife and I always book window + aisle, and we've survived so far! We don't ask to swap seats, but I've had the middle person offer to take my aisle, to which I always politely decline. But the reason I'm sharing this is because if you can get 9AC or something, 9B is probably more likely to be willing to swap. And worst case of no swap, neither of you are in a middle!

And the advice of frequently checking the seat map helps too; on a last minute booking for a funeral we were in middle seats in separate rows, but I checked frequently w/ the smartphone app and eventually managed to get us our preferred window + aisle.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
If you expect someone to trade seats with you, you are the DYKWIA.
Hahaha you're kidding right? The whole reason I posted this in the first place was that I don't want to come across as a DYKWIA on board. But apparently I'm wrong for even asking. I never expect anything from anyone these days - people are generally the worst versions of themselves when traveling. But 8A and 9A are identical seats on the 738 so it would be nice if someone would swap, is all I'm saying.
rickg523 and Elixia like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neilk
Just check the seat maps at the various elite upgrade times 100/72/48/24 hours before the flights. I often have good luck getting seats together after being in various seats in MCE.

Rule is to never offer someone a worse seat than your own, but you know that.
Yup that's exactly what I'll do. First world problem to be sure.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:09 pm

3) They occupy the seats you are interested in.
4. They read this thread.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Hahaha you're kidding right? The whole reason I posted this in the first place was that I don't want to come across as a DYKWIA on board. But apparently I'm wrong for even asking. I never expect anything from anyone these days - people are generally the worst versions of themselves when traveling. But 8A and 9A are identical seats on the 738 so it would be nice if someone would swap, is all I'm saying.
No, I'm not kidding. You come across as a DYKWIA if you expect something to which you feel entitled but is not yours. You have no idea why someone chose a particular seat and it doesn't matter. Row 8 is not row 9. Period.

Yes, it would be nice to swap. But don't claim that someone is wrong or rude or insensitive if they do not. That's DYKWIA behavior.
wrp96 and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

people are generally the worst versions of themselves when traveling.
Not at all my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.