Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much has EQD thinned EXP ranks?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I know all about that-- you'll notice I'm quoted in the article.
Lol, yes I know.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Science Goy
It may not be in any way relevant.
Which is the basic assumption of this entire thread, IMO.
jcatman likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I've been EXP for about 8 years, about $17-$18K I would guess rolling dollar spend. I'd say 8 years ago my UG % was about 95% - 100% (I think I had a 12 months 100% streak going at one point). Now it's probably 75% - 80%. But I've been surprised at how high I've been on the list, even with what I consider so-so spend . I was flying EWR>ORD on a Thursday evening a few weeks back, and F was sold out a few days before. I was still #5 on the UG list of about 50 people. What's hurt me more is CK. ?I've had a number of times I'm #1 , all of sudden bumped to #2 by A CK doing same day flight change and going onto the upgrade list. Even had a interesting pull up from coach a few months back. CK was #1 , I was #2 ,both cleared after boarding. I overhead the CK asking the GA what FC seats MIGHT become available ( he wanted an aisle). So when both cleared, he made sure to ask what seat I had, since "he was first on the list". They were both bulkhead windows.
my bold
Very similar to your situation had happened to me 3 times this year. Each time I was bumped downward on the UG list while waiting at gate for boarding.
My rolling EQD is about $18.7K. UG % dropped compared to last year. Success rate this year is less than 70%.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by andresmdn
Semi frequently I find that my name has NOT automatically been added to the airport upgrade list. Usually during same day changes or IROPS. So I've learned to always check the app, and then ask at the airport if I don't see my name.

So it's still useful to have positive confirmation there hasn't been a glitch, even if the name ends up being pushed down the stack by the CKs and high spend EXPs. No such confirmation possible if they cut it off after 20.
Twitter is great for this. I've had a few similar instances where for a variety of reasons I wasn't on the list. I just sent a message to AA on twitter and within a couple of minutes they had me added. Communicating with AA is about the only reason I have a Twitter.
andresmdn likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Twitter is great for this. I've had a few similar instances where for a variety of reasons I wasn't on the list. I just sent a message to AA on twitter and within a couple of minutes they had me added. Communicating with AA is about the only reason I have a Twitter.
And the AA twitter team can add names directly to the airport upgrade list, as shown on the app T-4 hours? That's fantastic to know. The EXP phone agents have always directed me to ask at the airport.

Do you just send them a direct message? The one time I signed up for twitter to communicate with AA while in-flight, I didn't hear back from them for a good 8 hours. Maybe that was a one off. Have they been consistently responsive for you?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:26 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

And the AA twitter team can add names directly to the airport upgrade list, as shown on the app T-4 hours? That's fantastic to know. The EXP phone agents have always directed me to ask at the airport.

Do you just send them a direct message? The one time I signed up for twitter to communicate with AA while in-flight, I didn't hear back from them for a good 8 hours. Maybe that was a one off. Have they been consistently responsive for you?
IME within the hour. It’s better to tweet them first then they will tell you to DM if this is something they can help.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I was just wondering this week how may EXP have "given up" on upgrades and just buy premium cabin seats outright and just are happy to bank the extra miles and bonuses. I know I've been pretty happy with the growth of my account balance for the last two years as an EXP. Will cross over to EXP on Monday as I'm off to MIA in paid J.
I've had decent luck with upgrades for work travel (where we can't do anything other than Y domestically), but for my personal travel I've been purchasing J (mainly MIA-DEN returns) to avoid the upgrade hassle, though most were clearing 72- to 100-hours out. I hit the EQDs well before I hit the EQMs so I don't know if EQDs really made that much of a difference for qualification, though I think the new rolling EQD criteria has changed the upgrade landscape. Now if I buy a last-minute expensive Y fare I still have a chance to get moved up.

That said, I've transferred all of my domestic paid premium cabin travel to DL after this week's final AA flights. No longer see the ROI for paying for premium on domestic AA so that's one more open seat up front for y'all!

Last edited by zpaul; Aug 28, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive

Yes, they can add names directly to the list if you aren't on it for whatever reason. I always just send them a direct message and typically its been within 30 minutes that I get a response back. I know one time it took over an hour but if I remember right there was some weather causing delays. They are very helpful with really any issue and if they can't help they will at least let you know.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:59 pm

I notice that on some flights when they call for CK there are as many as 5 people going up. Sometimes and I dont understand why I see them going to economy seat when I'm as an EXP sit in upgraded J / F.

This summer I was on LGA - DCA flight where I cleared an upgrade 100+ hours before the flight. On my way to airport I get a call from AA and they tell me that the flight is fully sold out and if I want to voluntarily downgrade myself to main cabin and offered me $$$. I happily accepted this offer since it is ~45 min flight and not much difference between FC & MC on this route. The flight ended up being delayed due to weather in another city and I rebooked myself onto another flight. There was a grandma that was on original flight and I saw her going to new gate to be rebooked on my flight. She ended up being CK and I wonder if it was her who tried to get on my original flight and AA offered me $$$ to get her on the plane On the flight back I was also upgraded in advance but on the way to airport noticed that I lost my upgrade. I called AA and told them that it would only be fair if they offer me same $$$ for this flight and they agreed but I ended up being upgraded again at the gate. I would prefer $$$ since combined amount could mean 2 RT tickets for one of the routes I typically take.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I know for a fact (told by a corporate traveler) that he had EXP from his company - not from earning it. Large companies with corporate contract get a number of CKs and EXPs to give out to their travelers. It is done by the corporate traveler manager. Not something granted by another employee or friend or family member, nor another CK.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by cova
I know for a fact (told by a corporate traveler) that he had EXP from his company - not from earning it. Large companies with corporate contract get a number of CKs and EXPs to give out to their travelers. It is done by the corporate traveler manager. Not something granted by another employee or friend or family member, nor another CK.
Funny how these mythical "granted EXPs" are always random connections, never people who actually post here.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
Funny how these mythical "granted EXPs" are always random connections, never people who actually post here.
The fact that this was someone sitting next to me in F on a CLT-LAX flight, then headed to Asia later that day. We discussed miles and how he used them for his family trips, but also that he did not travel much. Just the large company he works for based out of CLT has a corporate contract and he was EXP through that even though he doesn't travel much. He was on a last minute paid J ticket costing $10K . No reason for him to be inaccurate.

Most travelers don't even know about FT, and the few I have met that do know about FT, never post.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
The fact that this was someone sitting next to me in F on a CLT-LAX flight, then headed to Asia later that day. We discussed miles and how he used them for his family trips, but also that he did not travel much. Just the large company he works for based out of CLT has a corporate contract and he was EXP through that even though he doesn't travel much. He was on a last minute paid J ticket costing $10K . No reason for him to be inaccurate.

Most travelers don't even know about FT, and the few I have met that do know about FT, never post.
I often chat with FAs on my flights. Surprisingly, not one has told me s/he was aware of FT.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
It seems that no amount of MQD has affected the number of Delta elites, it seems many business commuters preferring DL will shift travel and not really care about the mileage games. I think AA has a higher proportion of leisure fliers or elites with discretionary spend so EQD has affected the ranks differently.
zpaul likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; B6 Mosaic
100% upgrade rate* this year ex NYC. Fly weekly ex LGA and monthly ex JFK. ~$20k rolling annual spend--almost all in "lowest available" (non-basic) economy. Occasional discount J for international or transcon.

*On multiple class of service flights. I've had ~4 flights this year on the E14Xs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.