Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much has EQD thinned EXP ranks?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: free agent
Back at EXP (thru Jan 2020) thanks to the easy status challenge AA ran this year. Admittedly I deliberately don't fly on road-warrior heavy days/times, but I've been surprised this year at how easily accessible the front cabin has been ... on two occasions there have been empty F seats, and a companion and I cleared an upgrade as golds (!!!), PHL-SFO on an equipment change A332 to B762.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I was just wondering this week how may EXP have "given up" on upgrades and just buy premium cabin seats outright and just are happy to bank the extra miles and bonuses. I know I've been pretty happy with the growth of my account balance for the last two years as an EXP. Will cross over to EXP on Monday as I'm off to MIA in paid J.
It may be because I am DFW based, but it seems like since the merger there are way more EXP’s now than ever before. I have been EXP for almost 10 years but I have thrown in the towel on trying for upgrades the last 2 years. Unless I’m flying within Texas, I always just buy 1st/biz now. It is amazing how quickly one can requalify for EXP when buying premium cabin tickets but it’s also amazing how quickly EXP becomes useless to you when you’re doing that.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Poor man's first class

Originally Posted by enviroian
This has to be the best explanation. I'll never complain about not getting an F seat. If I get a good coach seat I'm getting what I paid for. WFBF yes indeed--however I would never pay an additional $200 or $300 whatever to get 2 more inches of legroom and warm nuts if I'm lucky. I have better uses for my money.

YMMV.
Exit row aisle = poor mans's first class. Free drink(s) + snack. Works for us.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Doubt there's been a significant impact. The EQD thresholds just aren't that difficult to attain.

(and I never buy anything higher than PEY, and rarely even that).
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bse118
(and I never buy anything higher than PEY, and rarely even that).
I would most likely splurge for this on the DFW-LHR flights I take a few times a year to see family. Then again I'm not sure what the hardened fast rules are for EXP's and Premium Economy--are they complimentary or not? If not what is the delta between PEY and Y anyway?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
EXP with TTM EQD between $15-18k. 87% UPG out of DFW so far in 2018. It all depends on where you're flying and when your flights are.
GTITAN and E55 like this.

Last edited by asf-07; Aug 26, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
There may be fewer EXPs than a year ago, I have no no idea. But even if there are fewer other changes have more than offset the effect.

There are certainly more EXPs than before the merger, and they are chasing not that many more F seats. I think there are fewer flights between AUS and DFW than before the merger, with a combined LAA and LUS elite pool chasing the fewer F seats. Yes, total seats available may be up, as most flights that used to be MD-80s are now A321s, but each plane still has 16 F seats. Tighter revenue management, one month less of eligibility, and more people buying premium tickets outright mean fewer opportunities to use the smaller number of SWUs we're granted. I certainly have buying more front cabin tickets than in the past. Long hold times for the EXP desk were very rare before the merger, but both the quantity and quality of agents have since diminished.

If pre-merger AA policies and practices were still in place, an EQD requirement would have reduced EXP numbers and there would likely have been a discernible net positive for the EXPs who still qualified. But it's impossible to tease out any real effect from EQDs in the context of everything else that has happened to the system, which has been negative overall.

I say this as I have an AUS-DFW-SFO roundtrip this week for which two segments have cleared and F is full on the other two.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Stripe
There may be fewer EXPs than a year ago, I have no no idea. But even if there are fewer other changes have more than offset the effect.

There are certainly more EXPs than before the merger, and they are chasing not that many more F seats. I think there are fewer flights between AUS and DFW than before the merger, with a combined LAA and LUS elite pool chasing the fewer F seats. Yes, total seats available may be up, as most flights that used to be MD-80s are now A321s, but each plane still has 16 F seats. Tighter revenue management, one month less of eligibility, and more people buying premium tickets outright mean fewer opportunities to use the smaller number of SWUs we're granted. I certainly have buying more front cabin tickets than in the past. Long hold times for the EXP desk were very rare before the merger, but both the quantity and quality of agents have since diminished.

If pre-merger AA policies and practices were still in place, an EQD requirement would have reduced EXP numbers and there would likely have been a discernible net positive for the EXPs who still qualified. But it's impossible to tease out any real effect from EQDs in the context of everything else that has happened to the system, which has been negative overall.

I say this as I have an AUS-DFW-SFO roundtrip this week for which two segments have cleared and F is full on the other two.
Makes me miss NWA each and every day my friend.

Safe Travels
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
I fly out of Memphis. There are a number of routes where Y is full but F is close ti empty especially on the CRJ900s. I may very well be an anamily because the Delta gates seem to have long upgrade lists so this may be a hub holdover situation
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by Stripe

I know that there will be at least one less EXP next year, not due to EQD but ORD. Or, more specifically the route closures just announced there along with other general derogatory developments in the program and airline in general which were causing me to waiver. Lifetime Plat is more than enough for the odd AA/OW flight I have to get on. Don't fly enough domestically (especially long distance) to make it mean anything anymore in terms of the last remaining major perk in terms of upgrade status. Internationally, access to the OW F clubs is also not worth the investment in time and frustration of spending/wasting more time in PHL/DFW/NRT.

There are other places those dollars will be going the rest of the year...will finish with 60K EQM or so at the moment, but that will be it...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
My rolling EQD is $25k and my upgrade waitlist is usually top 2; but my husband's rolling EQD is at the minimum $12k and it's very normal to see his waitlist down to #15 or lower on the busy routes, aka SFO/SJC-PHX or SFO/SJC-LAX. We are both EXP.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:49 am

What I've wondered is why they bother showing your place on the upgrade list when you have no chance of clearing. 16F seats, showing past 20 is mathematically pointless. DFW-AUS I've seen myself in the 60s, what's worse, there were folks in the 80s behind me on the list. To me that tells me I'm not going to ever clear on that route, and reinforces that the upgrade value to me is zero.
IAHtraveler, TSparky and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:51 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I would be more frustrated in not knowing my place in the world, no matter how low!
Spiff and catcher1 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
I had about $27k EQD last year and so far $16k this year but the year is not over. I had 100% upgrade this year including JFK - SFO route, JFK - MIA, etc. I have no complaints

Update - Just cleared for upgrade for Friday's flight

Last edited by Fine Art Landscape Photographer; Aug 27, 2018 at 10:18 am Reason: update
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:30 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Gold with about $8000 spend in the past 12 months. On a recent trip booked 3 weeks ago, was upgraded ex-ORD on a mainline < 500 mile flight at my 24 hour window. Shocking, considering the upgrade list at the gate was several pages long.

Also get a fair number of upgrades clearing out of PHL, some with certs others also <500 mile trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.