Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much has EQD thinned EXP ranks?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
On SFO-ORD route upto 10 days out, often there is <$200 difference between Y and confirmed Yup, I have paid $796 RT for confirmed seat in F many times this year, with the bonus EQM, that has been a no brainer. All my travel is booked by me but reimbursed.
I have good luck with upgrades out of SFO (around 24k rolling EQD), but haven't cleared an ORD upgrade in probably 1.5 yrs. I've been buying J outright lately give how small the difference is. I can sometimes get as low as a $630 R/T J fare.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
EQD at $15K YTD and i'm batting about 35% on upgrades.
Same....batting 33% on 48 flights, $10K EQD YTD...EXP basically worthless out of DFW.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
phx is an easy place to upgrade out of . I was at 90%+ when I lived there.
That has not been my experience. I live here and the last few years my upgrade % has been going down. Its worse Oct through April for sure. Any flight to DFW, ORD or DCA is impossible for me to get upgraded on these days out of PHX. I will grant that places like MSP, DTW and SEA have good %s.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I'm showing around 55% at $15k EQDs for the year plus whatever the remainder would be for rolling 12 months so I'd estimate around $20K EQDs. I'd say I'm down a bit but I have been doing a few more PHX-ORD-PHX which seems impossible as well as a few more 319s which only has the 8F seats. I'm down from 2017 but contribute that to change in flight patterns. Overall, I'm probably not seeing a ton of impact from the change.
Totally agree about ORD. Also the A319 to PIT are really hard to upgrade on just because there are no seats given the capacity in Y
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by potus18
I have good luck with upgrades out of SFO (around 24k rolling EQD), but haven't cleared an ORD upgrade in probably 1.5 yrs. I've been buying J outright lately give how small the difference is. I can sometimes get as low as a $630 R/T J fare.

Betting that it's these kinda metrics that AA is monitoring (elites buying J and F fares) as they may rework the EQD requirement in the not so distant future... Talk about "devaluation" and the bubble effect (short term) that it may have with AA elites...
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I bailed out because while I'd probably be able to barely get the MQDs with some BA flights, I'd be at the bottom of the upgrade bin for EXP instead of at the top like I was when earliest purchase date was a tiebreaker. That was going to cut my upgrade percentage at least in half. So I bailed out all the way and went for the much easier BA Silver, and spend what I would have spent on mileage runs and Admirals Club access on buying up to F when reasonably priced. That also lets me diversify between AA, DL (was Plat, fell to Gold due to an illness, will get back to Plat in October), and ultra-short-haul stuff on WN like MDW-CVG or SMF-BUR. DL has much more C+ vs. AA's MCE, and it has some pretty easy upgrades on CR9s and E175s as well.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just a horribly wild guess but I'm guessing that the elite ranks have been thinned from top to bottom. .
That is what they wanted, with the same level of income from flights.
Some pax are continually moving from 1 ffp to another ffp, so a net change of zero.
The grass in not always greener on the other side
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just a horribly wild guess but I'm guessing that the elite ranks have been thinned from top to bottom. Gotten a few upgrades even as a lowly PLT when we did not expect to. Oh well next year we'll be GLD at best so better enjoy it while it lasts.
Am I the only PLT that gets upgrades more often than not?! I get them well over 75% of the time. Last year was right on 75%, but this year has been higher - only 2 I can think of off hand that haven't upgraded. The majority of my flights are booked 3-6 months in advance, but the dates *always* move 2-10 days when I get to ~14 days out. Mind you, I'm not flying out of a hub. Through them plenty, but not originating from them.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat Pro, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Am I the only PLT that gets upgrades more often than not?! I get them well over 75% of the time. Last year was right on 75%, but this year has been higher - only 2 I can think of off hand that haven't upgraded. The majority of my flights are booked 3-6 months in advance, but the dates *always* move 2-10 days when I get to ~14 days out. Mind you, I'm not flying out of a hub. Through them plenty, but not originating from them.
Would be curious to know your base and destination(s).
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by lds89
My upgrade percentage is also up - I'm also SF based and am batting 92% this year; compared to about 75% under the old system. Have about 26-27k rolling EQD and routinely get the upgrades 100 hours in advance now too, which is nice, even on the usually hard SFO-DFW-SFO routes. Also haven't missed a transcon upgrade yet this year. It's been a good 2018
Heh, I was 10th on the upgrade list for the 276 SFO JFK redeye this past week. At least 3 KEY in coach. 14k EQD rolling for me appx. Never been so low on an AA upg list, ever.

My upg rate rate dropped slightly from last year but it’s still about 75%. I suspect if my EQD figure were higher I’d be better off.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by potus18
Same here on the paid F/J. I'm 6'4", 280#, and Y is not a viable option for me. Fortunately, SAN, SNA, LGB, LAX and ONT are all within an hours drive, and with that much selection, I can usually find a F/J within a couple hundred dollars of a Y.

Last edited by jeffeverde; Aug 26, 2018 at 2:07 am
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
phx is an easy place to upgrade out of . I was at 90%+ when I lived there.
Well when did you live here? Because I’d say a few years back I was at 90% too.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
My upgrade rate has dropped to near zero as EXP. On one flight DFW-DCA - I was number 15 on the upgrade list out of 20 EXPs on the list - so I am still a good bit above the min. spend. Seems like for many flights I am around 8 on the list. I think you need to be in the $30K plus spend range to have a chance (but still below CK range).

More people are buying F (me included if I want F) because of the lower F prices. I have even had a RT price out to be cheaper for return in F (versus a cheap return in coach).

I suspect those experiencing upgrade grains are higher spend EXPs who buy tickets close in to departure date. And this bump up for them is do to list ordering by spend versus the previous time of ticketing.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
In my informal, non-scientific poll of people in first, more people are buying f/c tickets. Did it myself for a flight from CMH -> LAX given the duration of flight & price difference.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by remedy
In my informal, non-scientific poll of people in first, more people are buying f/c tickets. Did it myself for a flight from CMH -> LAX given the duration of flight & price difference.
This has to be the best explanation. I'll never complain about not getting an F seat. If I get a good coach seat I'm getting what I paid for. WFBF yes indeed--however I would never pay an additional $200 or $300 whatever to get 2 more inches of legroom and warm nuts if I'm lucky. I have better uses for my money.

YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.