FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   How can I get cheap/free checked bags on a transatlantic basic economy flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1926945-how-can-i-get-cheap-free-checked-bags-transatlantic-basic-economy-flight.html)

audifanatic2510 Aug 23, 2018 3:10 pm

How can I get cheap/free checked bags on a transatlantic basic economy flight?

I recently booked a couple of basic economy flights to EDI from JFK and from DUB to LGA on AA, not realizing it had no checked bags. A fellow travelhacker suggested I change my Frequent Flyer number to Qatar via the following method. Since he has Platinum status with Qatar, changing the number should, in theory get me free checked bags. But it seems like Finnair closed part of the loophole, it won't let me use a Qatar FF#, but it will let me use my his AA Gold#, which should also give me free bags. But the change doesn't seem to be hitting AA or BA's site. One interesting thing though is when I try to book a seat through the Finnair site, it'll let me choose my seat from LHR-EDI for $10 rather than $35 doing it direct through AA or BA. But it won't let me choose my seats for any other segment. And the checked bags bit is still a mystery.

Wondering if there's any other hacks out there that may help out here before I stoop down and apply for an AA card (the annual fee is still cheaper than checking luggage to the UK).

My flight in particular is:

To:
9/6/2018
AA 6212 (JFK -> LHR)
BA 1442 (LHR->EDI)

Return:
9/16/2018
AA 725 (DUB -> CLT)
AA 2068 (CLT -> LGA)

firemandan9 Aug 23, 2018 3:24 pm

The person with One World Ruby or higher will need to be traveling on the same ticket, is this the case?

audifanatic2510 Aug 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by firemandan9 (Post 30121856)
The person with One World Ruby or higer will need to be traveling on the same ticket, is this the case?

Sadly no, traveling solo. I almost had Ruby after a long trip in Australia in 2017, but I lost my status points. This was before I was into the points game. So I have a ton of Qantas points and no status 😭

GNRMatt Aug 23, 2018 3:32 pm

Trying to use someone else's Frequent Flier number is a direct violation of the airline's policies. Chances are, you couldn't do this even if you tried as the names won't match. If you do somehow get it in there, both you and the person's number you are borrowing can lose all of their miles, elite status, etc.

Uncle Nonny Aug 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Flying basic gives you little wiggle room. Had the same experience on Rouge last year. You get what you pay for. Which is , in this case, a lesson learned.

MADPhil Aug 23, 2018 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by audifanatic2510 (Post 30121801)
Wondering if there's any other hacks out there that may help out here before I stoop down and apply for an AA card (the annual fee is still cheaper than checking luggage to the UK).

The credit card only gets a free checked bag on domestic flights and I'm not sure that it does even that for BE (status does).

samwise6222 Aug 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Not that I suggest it, but here's a way to do it - since you have two weeks until your flight.

IF YOU ARE A BRITISH:

1) Make your name change deed poll
2) enroll your deed pool at the Royal Courts of Justice
3) make an emergency passport
4) send that over to AA to change your ticket to your new name
5) attach your travel hacker's FF details
6) free checked bag
7) profit

IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN:

1) tomorrow at 8:30AM, go to your local court and file a name change petition. Some locations will be able to schedule you with a judge on the same day
2) on monday, publish your name change details on a local newspaper, and take that to the judge on Friday
3) go to your local passport agency and get a same day passport
6) free checked bag
7) profit

Good luck!

FlyerWx Aug 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 30122096)
Not that I suggest it, but here's a way to do it - since you have two weeks until your flight.

[...[
IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN:

1) tomorrow at 8:30AM, go to your local court and file a name change petition. Some locations will be able to schedule you with a judge on the same day
2) on monday, publish your name change details on a local newspaper, and take that to the judge on Friday
6) free checked bag
7) profit

Good luck!

Haha :D

I know you are joking, but the same day passport and associated fees should be ~$200, compared to just coughing up $60 each way for a checked bag.

As it has already been mentioned, AA makes Basic Economy purchases fairly obvious, and you get what you pay for.

mvoight Aug 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil (Post 30122090)
The credit card only gets a free checked bag on domestic flights and I'm not sure that it does even that for BE (status does).

It does.

mvoight Aug 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 30122096)

IF YOU ARE A BRITISH:

1) Make your name change deed poll
2) enroll your deed pool at the Royal Courts of Justice
3) make an emergency passport
6) free checked bag
7) profit

IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN:

6) free checked bag
7) profit

Good luck!

Great, how do you change the date of birth which AA has from the AAdvantage elite member?

ijgordon Aug 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 30122214)
Great, how do you change the date of birth which AA has from the AAdvantage elite member?

That's step 6A - "????"

Uncle Nonny Aug 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Don't these shenanigans cost more than na check bag?

reeg2 Aug 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 30122386)
Don't these shenanigans cost more than na check bag?

It was a joke.

Uncle Nonny Aug 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by reeg2 (Post 30122748)
It was a joke.

You didn't end it with the universal sign of humor: :):):). My ambien and Voodoo Ranger are having their way with me.

Collierkr Aug 24, 2018 7:01 am

Best way to get a free bag... Pay more for your ticket.