Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One-way award for two people from two Aadvantage accounts, but one record locator?

One-way award for two people from two Aadvantage accounts, but one record locator?

Old Aug 23, 18, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: more than I care to list...

I am looking to book two award tickets - one for me, one for my wife (both one way). We only have enough miles in our separate Aadvantage accounts. I know it's possible to have a reservation split and paid for from two accounts. But does doing that completely split the reservation in terms of record locator? This is a trip that is tentative for now, but I'd prefer to book now while the space is there. My understanding is that if you cancel an AA award, it's $150 for the first ticket and only $25 each from there - but think they have to be under the same record locator, otherwise it'd be $150 each. Is that right? Or if I cancel both at the same time (even if they're separate records), I can still do it for $175 total rather than $300?
Old Aug 23, 18, 12:44 am

In the past I never had an issue booking two people under one record locator but taking the miles for each person from two accounts. But during my most recent bookings, multiple agents said they must split the record locator if taking miles from separate accounts. I tried HUCA again but it didnít work.

Regarding cancellation fees, they charge the higher first fee based on each account getting refunded. So if they have to refund to multiple accounts they will charge you multiple fees at the higher rate. Now you may come across an AAgent that doesnít charge you properly and you end up with one high and one low fee but thatís hit or miss.
Old Aug 23, 18, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr View Post
In the past I never had an issue booking two people under one record locator but taking the miles for each person from two accounts. But during my most recent bookings, multiple agents said they must split the record locator if taking miles from separate accounts. I tried HUCA again but it didnít work.

Regarding cancellation fees, they charge the higher first fee based on each account getting refunded. So if they have to refund to multiple accounts they will charge you multiple fees at the higher rate. Now you may come across an AAgent that doesnít charge you properly and you end up with one high and one low fee but thatís hit or miss.
That's what I was afraid of, but it's better to know. Thanks for the reply!
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:08 am

I would pay the fee to transfer miles into one account and book from there - you avoid the hassle and get a single PNR which would minimize cancellation fees and help in case of IRROPS.
Old Aug 23, 18, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkY123 View Post
I would pay the fee to transfer miles into one account and book from there - you avoid the hassle and get a single PNR which would minimize cancellation fees and help in case of IRROPS.
Yikes, no way!
It costs ~$330 to transfer 25,000 miles.
Even for redeeming a one-way 12.5k domestic coach award, that would cost $178 up front, for the "chance" to save $125 on the cancellation.
Old Aug 23, 18, 10:02 am
Original Poster

I agree, IROPS would be another great reason to have them linked, but I'd generally say the cost to transfer miles is not worth it. Especially since this is an international business award. Would cost nearly $1k to transfer the 70k miles.
Old Aug 23, 18, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
It would not minimize cancellation fees, if the miles are out of 2 different accounts. The fee applies per account the miles are going back to.
In any case, they would pay $175 if only one mileage account, $300 if two. Transferring the miles is going to cost more than that $125 difference
Old Aug 23, 18, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Deleted