Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

For Corner Stone to Southern Charms with Gem Stones [AA's hub strategy]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For Corner Stone to Southern Charms with Gem Stones [AA's hub strategy]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
6th busiest in the world according to aircraft movements...
Aircraft movements is a particularly poor gauge of airport size and revenue potential. It ignores average gauge and adds in private (and military) aircraft movements.

Revenue Passenger Miles is a better metric since it takes distance into account, too.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Revenue Passenger Miles is a better metric since it takes distance into account, too.
I would disagree. Why does distance matter?

I would go by # of seats.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Aircraft movements is a particularly poor gauge of airport size and revenue potential. It ignores average gauge and adds in private (and military) aircraft movements.

By passenger miles CLT is busier than Miami by a few million and 10th busiest in the US. Any way you cut it CLT is AA's second hub and I guess that's the real point.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
It needs more international flights but we probably wont see that until the 2024 runway completes and the 787 deliveries are satisfied. That'll mean they can use the lowest cost enplanement in the US for nonstop international travel to 85% of the globe.
If more international flights are added without a commensurate improvement to the miserable international arrivals experience, I'll continue to avoid CLT for my international travel.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I mean...maybe? The reason DFW has 900+ flights/day is not because of DFW-based origin or DFW destination traffic. It's because DFW is in a perfect spot: a large city hub that connects major East-to-West (almost any point on one coast to almost any point on the other coast), Southeast & mid-Atlantic-to-Asia, Midwest-to-Asia, Midwest-to-Europe, west of the Mississippi-to-South America, etc. traffic flows all year round, with no competition, and with a cost structure that makes it extremely profitable, and where the revenue growth for adding flights can be at or above the cost.

I'm not sure DFW is the best example. There are certain markets that, by virtue of sheer size can sustain a decent number of flights whose sole purpose is to carry passengers originating there and terminating there. LAX and NYC are two of those markets...and even then, it depends on the other market served. JFK-LHR, a huge percentage of people will be originating in New York and terminating in London or connecting on BA. JFK-EDI? Not enough people going solely between them to sustain a flight, and insufficient connecting flows into JFK to make it profitable.
its both. DFW has excellent geography AND can maintain healthy O&D traffic numbers. This allows business travelers to get more destinations and pay a premium for the nonstop (higher yield) while also being able to fill the rest of the plane with connections.

if it was purely geographic, STL would still be a hub. Excellent location, not nearly big enough to support a hub from O&D.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm confused as to why so much hate for CLT. Yes it is crowded, but I actually like the main concourse and dont have a ton of issues there.

compared to ORD or LAX or PHL, CLT is far better. Not to the level of DFW or JFK T8, IMO, but on par with PHX, MIA.
GTITAN and BarrenLucidity like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm confused as to why so much hate for CLT. Yes it is crowded, but I actually like the main concourse and dont have a ton of issues there.

compared to ORD or LAX or PHL, CLT is far better. Not to the level of DFW or JFK T8, IMO, but on par with PHX, MIA.
Oh, there are some folks that may have been LAA here that don't care for CLT or see why it is a Hub for reconstituted AA. Such is the way of things. Personally, I like my home airport. YMMV

Safe Travels
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
People LOVE to complain on these boards. Some people think they are to good for a certain airport, etc.

I have been through Charlotte many, many times in my travels. No problem with the airport at all. Geez.....
GTITAN and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
The LAA hubs are in much larger cities and have higher O&D traffic (DFW, MIA, NYC, LAX, ORD) than LUS ones (PHL, CLT, PHX). DCA by virtue of design, rules and location is built for O&D. as a result, it wouldn't surprise me if AA is routing lower yield connecting pax to LUS hubs while pricing the LAA hubs more towards O&D traffic.
Which of course largely continues pmAA's and pmUS's strategies. pmAA's hubs are better suited to O&D traffic (higher costs but also higher revenue potential for O&D traffic), so pmAA focused on maximizing revenue out of those hubs with the cornerstone strategy, prioritizing O&D traffic more than pmUS did. pmUS's hubs are, by and large, better suited to connecting traffic: smaller markets with less revenue potential but lower costs, so pmUS focused more on connecting traffic than pmAA did. Though the merger certainly leads to some mixing and matching, the pmUS and pmAA hubs retain their different strengths and therefore the differing strategies that are most effective.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Oh, there are some folks that may have been LAA here that don't care for CLT or see why it is a Hub for reconstituted AA. Such is the way of things. Personally, I like my home airport. YMMV

Safe Travels
Haha.

I am LAA as well, but still don't get the venom for CLT. I understand not wanting to fly on a LUS a320 with no power or IFE, but that isn't the fault of CLT.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
its both. DFW has excellent geography AND can maintain healthy O&D traffic numbers. This allows business travelers to get more destinations and pay a premium for the nonstop (higher yield) while also being able to fill the rest of the plane with connections.

If it was purely geographic, STL would still be a hub. Excellent location, not nearly big enough to support a hub from O&D.
Or MCI -- TWA's original mid-US strategic cross-country hub.

When it comes to DFW as an -international- superhub -- I think the O&D traffic is key.

The metroplex is something like the 4th largest metro, 4th largest economy, and 1st fastest growing population in the country now. However, if you dig up the rankings, DFW is only ~15th for O&D traffic (according to the data that the bond rating agencies use -- I grabbed this from a Forbes article from last Feb). But the reason it ranks as low as 15th is mostly due to relative weakness in domestic O&D -- DAL sucks a ton of domestic O&D traffic from the metroplex but barely serves any international O&D. A comparison to make here is DEN -- an airport only a bit smaller in total passenger traffic than DFW and has all the same geographical benefits as DFW (and also sits on a ton of acreage) and has a very healthy O&D market all in all. But, it connects to HALF as many international destinations as DFW. At the end of the day, Denver is also half the size as the Dallas-Fort-Worth metroplex in terms of population and GDP. And that is a big disadvantage when you have 300 seats to fill a day to a place like Shanghai.

When it comes to making an international hub -- it makes sense to do so where you have a base of international O&D traffic, which DFW has. The O&D passengers are the ones that the airline has an advantage to capture because they offer a direct route whereas their competitors don't. Thus, I am skeptical that it makes a ton of sense to grow CLTs international operations all that much even if CLTs geography is well suited as a hub for domestic N/S traffic.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by GTITAN

Safe Travels
I have a love-hate relationship with CLT, I've flown through there since the US days and continue to do so today. The only two downsides to it I personally have are since it's so banked/busy that if weather hits the operation turns to hell. Now you can say this happens at all airports, and it certainly does, but CLT at the moment lacks gate space/room to handle the extra aircraft/passengers. The second thing I dislike is the terrible & rude concessions employees. I've had some wonderful airline employees there both mainline & Eagle however I've never encountered a pleasant concessions employee at CLT. They either aren't very smart, never smile, or are just downright unpleasant to you. On the flip side I have no complaints with the concessions people at ATL, JFK, LGA etc.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:18 pm

I can speak from the experience from a few small firms based in the southeast - CLT was consistently rated far below DFW, ATL, .etc for connections. There were a number of reasons, but notably I recall that people didn't like the trudge at CLT, especially when mainline-eagle or vice-versa is involved, where-as say DFW's SkyTrain makes connecting to opposite sides of the airport far easier. US Airways also liked to offer very short connections there, which I think exacerbated the problem. (IIRC, there were FAR more misconnects there than anywhere else.)

I recall several people saying the rocking chairs at CLT were a nice touch though, so I guess that's something.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by nall
I can speak from the experience from a few small firms based in the southeast - CLT was consistently rated far below DFW, ATL, .etc for connections. There were a number of reasons, but notably I recall that people didn't like the trudge at CLT, especially when mainline-eagle or vice-versa is involved, where-as say DFW's SkyTrain makes connecting to opposite sides of the airport far easier. US Airways also liked to offer very short connections there, which I think exacerbated the problem. (IIRC, there were FAR more misconnects there than anywhere else.)

I recall several people saying the rocking chairs at CLT were a nice touch though, so I guess that's something.
I've connected at CLT many times over the years. I think the connections now are timed closer than they were in the past. Compared with PHL, the mainline to express (or the other way around) trudge is about equal.

And PHL also has rocking chairs, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention them. It is usually easier to actually get one at PHL (and there could be outlets nearby too). I don't think I've ever seen a vacant rocking chair at CLT.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The biggest challenge with CLT is the congestion of the B and C concourses when everybody's trying to make a connection, flights are boarding, and everybody is spilling into the aisles. It makes a 45 minute connection from high-C to high-B really annoying. ORD doesn't have that problem, but it has the problem of no moving walkways at all, and they could really use one at least between G1 and L1. Fortunately, I start/end at ORD so I don't have to worry about it, but it makes MCT a real challenge for those who do connect.

But the other challenge with ORD is that Chicago is a hub for three airlines (UA, AA, WN) and big enough to attract significant amounts of LCC traffic. I price a lot of stuff out from ORD, MDW and RDU, and unless it's a city on I-95, it's almost always cheaper to my destinations out of Chicago. Add in the horrible situation of landing at Terminal 5 and trying to connect, and it's not a great situation for American.
platbrownguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.