Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy back EP / Executive Platinum at year end?

Old Aug 22, 18, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, SWA CompanionPass, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver

Iím losing EPL at the end of the year as I was on Maternity leave and did not fly Jan-May. Iím a weekly (domestic) traveler so the idea of spending all next year building my status back up pains me Iíve heard that sometimes you get an offer to buy back your status but Iím not finding much about that. Can anyone confirm or share details?
Old Aug 22, 18, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Here's the thread to read: Program Year 2018 Elite Status Buy back / Buyback / Renew / Boost (master thd) .

I think it happens every year
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 22, 18, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I've seen posts here and there from people who have lost status due to a life event and sent a note to AA explaining the situation and asked them to extend status and it was approved. I think it was a few years back so these days could be a long (very) shot. I'd probably wait unitl a little later in the year where you have some history built up. Perhaps if AA sees your travel patterns returned following a pretty clear break they will make an exception. Or more than likely they say your are SOL and can buy back but it doesn't hurt to try!
Old Aug 22, 18, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
My wife and I are in the same boat due to her pregnancy. I asked the social media team to freeze/extend status like BA does to no avail.
Old Aug 22, 18, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aroeder View Post
My wife and I are in the same boat due to her pregnancy. I asked the social media team to freeze/extend status like BA does to no avail.
They won't do either of those things, but they do occasionally offer a re-up challenge in cases like the OP's, usually more if something like military service was involved, but depending on member profitability, on Helix ranking and, really, just kinda hit and miss in some cases, I've gotten it for friends on occasion.
GTITAN, WiscAZ and JDiver like this.
Old Aug 22, 18, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
They won't do either of those things, but they do occasionally offer a re-up challenge in cases like the OP's, usually more if something like military service was involved, but depending on member profitability, on Helix ranking and, really, just kinda hit and miss in some cases, I've gotten it for friends on occasion.
Good info. It very well could have been military service related. Again, it was probably 3 or 4 years ago, could have been pre-merger. Trying to think back I think one time it was for an illness but a very serious one I believe (not by any means taking away from maternity leave).
Old Aug 23, 18, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Originally Posted by mollyluise View Post
Iím losing EPL at the end of the year as I was on Maternity leave and did not fly Jan-May. Iím a weekly (domestic) traveler so the idea of spending all next year building my status back up pains me Iíve heard that sometimes you get an offer to buy back your status but Iím not finding much about that. Can anyone confirm or share details?
Expect to require a minimum of 85,000 EQM for an offer of around $2,499 to be made to you. Decreased from there in past years, depending on how much EQM/EQD you had.

What will you finish 2018 at?
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by mollyluise View Post
Congratulations on your little one!

If you have a corporate travel department, see if they can intervene on your behalf. It seems like a challenge to regain EXP early in the year may be achievable if you fly weekly.
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:34 pm
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In 2017 I had flights booked to definitely requalify (and I did). When they sent me an email I was 400 eqm short but they wanted me to pay over $1,000, not a good deal IMHO. NOW there are 2 components EQM AND EQD, I wonder how generous they will be in allowing pax to buy-up.
Old Aug 24, 18, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
In 2017 I had flights booked to definitely requalify (and I did). When they sent me an email I was 400 eqm short but they wanted me to pay over $1,000, not a good deal IMHO. NOW there are 2 components EQM AND EQD, I wonder how generous they will be in allowing pax to buy-up.
This was the case in 2017, and the anecdotal evidence from the offers posted here seemed to be almost 1:1 payment required to make up the EQD you were short, but as you observed, much more punitive rates on missing EQM.
Old Aug 24, 18, 11:21 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
How close to 100k will you be? Might be worth a late-year mileage run.
Old Aug 24, 18, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
If you have a corporate travel department, see if they can intervene on your behalf. It seems like a challenge to regain EXP early in the year may be achievable if you fly weekly.
The issue will be the flights being domestic. I fly every other week, domestic. Based on the travel policy, I get to the end of the year at ~100 segments, and barely over $6k spend,. Double up the flights to weekly, and you get to the $12 spend, and likely 170-200 segments, unless located in a hub city.
Old Aug 28, 18, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, SWA CompanionPass, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Thank you all so much, lots of food for thought. If itís 2500, I may have to take my lumps and start from scratch sadly. I was thinking if it was in the neighborhood of $1000 it may be worthwhile... I guess time will tell how close I get towards year end. The drag is my company discontinued my international responsibilities which sure helped booking a few business class intl trips, which I wonít have in my back pocket this coming year. We do have a corporate travel department (I work for a large pharma co) and I was able to get A List secured for 2019, so I may just migrate back to SWA due to all my flights being domestic now Iíd really miss AA and Iíve certainly grown to love the frequent upgrades... but I doubt Iíd get much next year regardless as my rolling totals are pretty much shot. Plus my commute is only PHX to SFO with the occasional DCA so my miles totals arenít even anything to brag about anymore either. Iím going to try all your suggestions though, so thanks again and fingers crossed!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: