FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Buy back EP / Executive Platinum at year end? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1926662-buy-back-ep-executive-platinum-year-end.html)

mollyluise Aug 22, 2018 10:22 am

Buy back EP / Executive Platinum at year end?

I’m losing EPL at the end of the year as I was on Maternity leave and did not fly Jan-May. I’m a weekly (domestic) traveler so the idea of spending all next year building my status back up pains me :( I’ve heard that sometimes you get an offer to buy back your status but I’m not finding much about that. Can anyone confirm or share details?

OskiBear Aug 22, 2018 10:28 am

Here's the thread to read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

I think it happens every year

WiscAZ Aug 22, 2018 12:35 pm

I've seen posts here and there from people who have lost status due to a life event and sent a note to AA explaining the situation and asked them to extend status and it was approved. I think it was a few years back so these days could be a long (very) shot. I'd probably wait unitl a little later in the year where you have some history built up. Perhaps if AA sees your travel patterns returned following a pretty clear break they will make an exception. Or more than likely they say your are SOL and can buy back but it doesn't hurt to try!

Aroeder Aug 22, 2018 1:41 pm

My wife and I are in the same boat due to her pregnancy. I asked the social media team to freeze/extend status like BA does to no avail.

JonNYC Aug 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Aroeder (Post 30116624)
My wife and I are in the same boat due to her pregnancy. I asked the social media team to freeze/extend status like BA does to no avail.

They won't do either of those things, but they do occasionally offer a re-up challenge in cases like the OP's, usually more if something like military service was involved, but depending on member profitability, on Helix ranking and, really, just kinda hit and miss in some cases, I've gotten it for friends on occasion.

WiscAZ Aug 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 30116654)
They won't do either of those things, but they do occasionally offer a re-up challenge in cases like the OP's, usually more if something like military service was involved, but depending on member profitability, on Helix ranking and, really, just kinda hit and miss in some cases, I've gotten it for friends on occasion.

Good info. It very well could have been military service related. Again, it was probably 3 or 4 years ago, could have been pre-merger. Trying to think back I think one time it was for an illness but a very serious one I believe (not by any means taking away from maternity leave).

deeruck Aug 23, 2018 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by mollyluise (Post 30115701)
I’m losing EPL at the end of the year as I was on Maternity leave and did not fly Jan-May. I’m a weekly (domestic) traveler so the idea of spending all next year building my status back up pains me :( I’ve heard that sometimes you get an offer to buy back your status but I’m not finding much about that. Can anyone confirm or share details?

Expect to require a minimum of 85,000 EQM for an offer of around $2,499 to be made to you. Decreased from there in past years, depending on how much EQM/EQD you had.

What will you finish 2018 at?

SS255 Aug 23, 2018 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by mollyluise (Post 30115701)

Congratulations on your little one!

If you have a corporate travel department, see if they can intervene on your behalf. It seems like a challenge to regain EXP early in the year may be achievable if you fly weekly.

nrr Aug 23, 2018 3:34 pm

In 2017 I had flights booked to definitely requalify (and I did:)). When they sent me an email I was 400 eqm short but they wanted me to pay over $1,000, not a good deal IMHO. NOW there are 2 components EQM AND EQD, I wonder how generous:rolleyes: they will be in allowing pax to buy-up.

deeruck Aug 24, 2018 11:15 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 30121908)
In 2017 I had flights booked to definitely requalify (and I did:)). When they sent me an email I was 400 eqm short but they wanted me to pay over $1,000, not a good deal IMHO. NOW there are 2 components EQM AND EQD, I wonder how generous:rolleyes: they will be in allowing pax to buy-up.

This was the case in 2017, and the anecdotal evidence from the offers posted here seemed to be almost 1:1 payment required to make up the EQD you were short, but as you observed, much more punitive rates on missing EQM.

asf-07 Aug 24, 2018 11:21 am

How close to 100k will you be? Might be worth a late-year mileage run.

autdi Aug 24, 2018 11:28 am

Originally Posted by SS255 (Post 30121825)
If you have a corporate travel department, see if they can intervene on your behalf. It seems like a challenge to regain EXP early in the year may be achievable if you fly weekly.

The issue will be the flights being domestic. I fly every other week, domestic. Based on the travel policy, I get to the end of the year at ~100 segments, and barely over $6k spend,. Double up the flights to weekly, and you get to the $12 spend, and likely 170-200 segments, unless located in a hub city.

mollyluise Aug 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Thank you all so much, lots of food for thought. If it’s 2500, I may have to take my lumps and start from scratch sadly. I was thinking if it was in the neighborhood of $1000 it may be worthwhile... I guess time will tell how close I get towards year end. The drag is my company discontinued my international responsibilities which sure helped booking a few business class intl trips, which I won’t have in my back pocket this coming year. We do have a corporate travel department (I work for a large pharma co) and I was able to get A List secured for 2019, so I may just migrate back to SWA due to all my flights being domestic now :( I’d really miss AA and I’ve certainly grown to love the frequent upgrades... but I doubt I’d get much next year regardless as my rolling totals are pretty much shot. Plus my commute is only PHX to SFO with the occasional DCA so my miles totals aren’t even anything to brag about anymore either. I’m going to try all your suggestions though, so thanks again and fingers crossed!!