Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

CX 888 (YVR-JFK) with connecting AA flight- delay protection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX 888 (YVR-JFK) with connecting AA flight- delay protection?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Apologies if I missed this elsewhere, but I am confused why it matters whether these separate tickets are one single PNR or not. Doesn't the same interline agreement apply regardless if they are one PNR or multiple PNR's?
OW no longer requires that, and each OW carrier has its own policy now.

See here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2016-a-39.html
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Query ... a couple of weeks ago, my QR flight arrived late and I missed my AA flight. They were on separate tickets. I went to the AA counter and they put me on standby for the next day (I think they were supposed to confirm me but I could see the flight was super empty so I didn't push the issue). Should I have gone to QR instead?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I still don't understand why OP does not simply book this as one ticket given that CX and AA have an interline ticketing agreement. If the connection is below MCT and therefore not bookable, it is then way below SCT (Sensible Connection Time). Just seems to be asking for trouble given that it would mean a 3-1/2 wait for the next flight and 5 hours after that if the next one lacks availability.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I still don't understand why OP does not simply book this as one ticket given that CX and AA have an interline ticketing agreement. If the connection is below MCT and therefore not bookable, it is then way below SCT (Sensible Connection Time). Just seems to be asking for trouble given that it would mean a 3-1/2 wait for the next flight and 5 hours after that if the next one lacks availability.
There is no way to purchase the tix on either AA or CX websites. (AA simply gives 2-3 stops options while CX errors out, seems like comparing whose IT department is worse).

I think the better way to go is a competent TA.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
There is no way to purchase the tix on either AA or CX websites. (AA simply gives 2-3 stops options while CX errors out, seems like comparing whose IT department is worse).

I think the better way to go is a competent TA.
CX does not offer fares from YVR-RDU
AA's routing rules for YVR-RDU do not permit travel via New York

If wanting to do that routing, it will need to be 2 separate fares of Vancouver to New York and New York to Raleigh/Durham

If the fare rules for both CX and AA permit end-on-end travel, it may be possible to issue it as a single ticketed itinerary , but a call to CX to make the booking may well be needed

Trying to price such a journey out on ITA gives "no flights available" , so I suspect that combining the fares is not possible
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
CX does not offer fares from YVR-RDU
AA's routing rules for YVR-RDU do not permit travel via New York

If wanting to do that routing, it will need to be 2 separate fares of Vancouver to New York and New York to Raleigh/Durham

If the fare rules for both CX and AA permit end-on-end travel, it may be possible to issue it as a single ticketed itinerary , but a call to CX to make the booking may well be needed
CX multi city tools usually allow OW partners routes, but this will allow you to go until the last step when it errors out (so no way to do so on CX website, have to call).

Most likely due to system incompatibility. CX booking BA (such as LHR - BSL, CX also does not offer fares to) usually won't have this problem.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
CX multi city tools usually allow OW partners routes, but this will allow you to go until the last step when it errors out (so no way to do so on CX website, have to call).

Most likely due to system incompatibility. CX booking BA (such as LHR - BSL, CX also does not offer fares to) usually won't have this problem.
Based on not being able to price on ITA, I think that the reason that it is erroring out , is not due to any incompatibility but that there is no valid fare combination for the desired journey

no harm phoning CX and checking though of course
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

OK so based on the last couple of posts, is this implying that it's not possible to marry 2 separate tickets into 1 PNR, even through a corporate travel agency?
I've put in the request to see what they can come up with.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by dave_261
OK so based on the last couple of posts, is this implying that it's not possible to marry 2 separate tickets into 1 PNR, even through a corporate travel agency?
I've put in the request to see what they can come up with.
Where both fares permit end-on-end ticketing and where the airline isn't offering a through fare for that journey, then it is possible to combine 2 fares to create a single ticketed itinerary

In this case, it would seem that there is no fares that can be combined to create a through itinerary and would need to be booked as 2 separate itineraries with the drawbacks that will have

It will also, I suspect, be more expensive than just booking a simple YVR-RDU ticket on an airline offering a fare

A travel agency would not be able to override this
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

So based on feedback from our corporate travel agent, as well as another call to the CK desk, I have to purchase 2 separate tickets and there is no way for 1 PNR. These will be 2 separate itineraries with no linkage (I didn't ask about interline bags, which is irrelevant since I won't be checking any, and would have to pick up at JFK immigration anyway).

So in a nutshell, I'm on my own for any potential misconnection.

Now the next question... both the 7am and noon JFK-RDU flights are only about $100. If I book both, would AA's systems flag this? Or should I play the 'don't put your AAdvantage number' on one of them game?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dave_261
So based on feedback from our corporate travel agent, as well as another call to the CK desk, I have to purchase 2 separate tickets and there is no way for 1 PNR. These will be 2 separate itineraries with no linkage (I didn't ask about interline bags, which is irrelevant since I won't be checking any, and would have to pick up at JFK immigration anyway).

So in a nutshell, I'm on my own for any potential misconnection.

Now the next question... both the 7am and noon JFK-RDU flights are only about $100. If I book both, would AA's systems flag this? Or should I play the 'don't put your AAdvantage number' on one of them game?
Why wouldn't you just standby? If you're a CK, you'll be top priority.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
Since there is no preclear in YVR, would not the MCT 1.45 which means an 85 minute connection is illegal . If that is the case, no one will protect for a misconnect due to an illegal routing. Does anyone else see it that way? Also, I think 85 minutes is tight if you need to clear immigration JFK. Rule of thumb is passenger assumes risk for connection in this situation and it might be the reason it is not pricing

Last edited by GNVFlyer; Aug 23, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I thought CK has free same day flight change? So if the flight from YVR departs excessively late you can just change that to a later flight? Or worst case there are no E availability you can always standby for a later flight, which for a CK, you should be on the very top of the list?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shd9
I thought CK has free same day flight change? So if the flight from YVR departs excessively late you can just change that to a later flight? Or worst case there are no E availability you can always standby for a later flight, which for a CK, you should be on the very top of the list?
$100 extra for a confirmed seat on both options is really for piece of mind. Being #1 on the standby list does not guarantee a seat.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
AA is not going to leave you high and dry at JFK should your CX flight be late. I've misconnected several times on separate tickets and in all cases the AA agents have generally been very helpful in getting you to your final destination, regardless of the # of tickets, or which flight was late on what carrier, etc.

Also, we're talking about JFK-RDU here, you can typically buy a walk up fare for $200-$300 depending on the day. Worst case scenario and AA told you to go pound sand (which won't happen), it's not like you're out thousands of dollars having to buy a walk up long haul flight, or anything like that.

That said, if you must have the peace of mind, I'd just book an award ticket for the later flight as a backup. As soon as you land at JFK on time just cancel and redeposit the later flight for free. As long as you ticket both flights (don't leave one on hold) then there's no risk of AA's computers cancelling it for duplication.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.