Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA route changes announced 21 Aug 2018, inc cutting ORD-PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA route changes announced 21 Aug 2018, inc cutting ORD-PVG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I was at LGA This AM near that weird gate D9 and was surprised by some of the flights AA has: BGR, DAY, ORF........had no idea they flew to these smaller cities from LGA.

I would not call DAY a smaller city. Its the fourth largest market in Ohio. Plus DAY draws from the Cincinnati suburbs as CVG is inconveniently located across the river in KY
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I would not call DAY a smaller city. Its the fourth largest market in Ohio. Plus DAY draws from the Cincinnati suburbs as CVG is inconveniently located across the river in KY
i guess it’s all relative when you live in the largest city in the country and consider Cincinnati a medium sized city lol.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
This business traveler definitely prefers LGA. At peak traffic times, JFK can be 90 minutes or more from Midtown, while LGA is 45 minutes. When arriving late night from a business trip, LGA is usually under 30 minutes while JFK can range from 45 minutes 75-90 minutes. LGA is just more convenient and always will be.
JFK also reliably gets you to midtown in 75 minutes on public transportation, about the same as LGA (especially for terminal C/D). And at night time, I can always get from midtown to JFK in 45 minutes. Early mornings 25 to 30 minutes. I think the distance of JFK gets overstated sometimes.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Score8
I agree. Even though I hate the up the escalator, down the escalator between the 8 terminal sections, JFK has far more premium options and is far less crowded in the terminal versus CLT or PHL. In CLT and PHL I have to dodge tons of people and they always feel chaotic.
I agree, I've found connections through PHL to be disappointing (Terminal H/bus gate anyone?)

Originally Posted by tphuang
JFK also reliably gets you to midtown in 75 minutes on public transportation, about the same as LGA (especially for terminal C/D).
Let's not use "reliably" in any sentence related to MTA
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
Maybe, but its one of the least healthy economic regions in the USA. DAY airport is well north of town, and my understanding from talking to locals there is that folks south often drive to CVG rather than fly out of DAY.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by deeruck
I agree, I've found connections through PHL to be disappointing (Terminal H/bus gate anyone?)...............
Possibly because you're always in circular mode searching for Terminal "H".
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Surprised that they left the ORD-HNL return, coming this December, out of this announcement. But I guess it was already announced a couple of months back, but at least that answers what they'll do with one the extra widebodies in ORD.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by deeruck

Let's not use "reliably" in any sentence related to MTA
I frequently use either the F/E train from midtown to LIRR Jamaica to access the JFK Air Train, or the LIRR from Penn for late afternoon flights out of JFK. It has never been a problem - when the LIRR has problems, the subway is nearly always working, albeit more crowded.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:41 am

I've taken the subway three times to/from Penn Station to get to JFK - always take the "E" train from Penn station to Sutphin Blvd. and transfer to the Air Train.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
JFK also reliably gets you to midtown in 75 minutes on public transportation
On Long Island RR, its 45 mns gate to Penn Station.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I've taken the subway three times to/from Penn Station to get to JFK - always take the "E" train from Penn station to Sutphin Blvd. and transfer to the Air Train.
Why would you take the subway to get to Penn station from JFK, LIRR is so much faster, and only $15?
rossmacd and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Why would you take the subway to get to Penn station from JFK, LIRR is so much faster, and only $15?
First time there was track work in the LIRR so I opted for the subway. Second time was a post midnight arrival and the subway was arriving in 3 minutes versus 22 minutes for the LIRR. Third time, because I was already use to the subway.

Not opposed to the LIRR for any reason.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
First time there was track work in the LIRR so I opted for the subway. Second time was a post midnight arrival and the subway was arriving in 3 minutes versus 22 minutes for the LIRR. Third time, because I was already use to the subway.

Not opposed to the LIRR for any reason.
When I used to live downtown taking the E when it was running express in Queens could be quicker than transferring to the LIRR at Penn Station.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JFK also reliably gets you to midtown in 75 minutes on public transportation, about the same as LGA (especially for terminal C/D). And at night time, I can always get from midtown to JFK in 45 minutes. Early mornings 25 to 30 minutes. I think the distance of JFK gets overstated sometimes.
I'd venture to say that many business travelers won't take public transportation, when their employers are paying for a taxi or car service, where they can generally be more productive, even if sometimes the public transport route can be faster.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'd venture to say that many business travelers won't take public transportation, when their employers are paying for a taxi or car service, where they can generally be more productive, even if sometimes the public transport route can be faster.
When I lived in NYC my employer would not allow car services or cabs to any of the airports (unless paid out of pocket personally). I remember one time taking the subway and getting stuck for over an hour. I missed my flight to LAS and accordingly had to overnight at an LAX hotel. Employer had to pay change fee, additional fare to LAX and night's stay in LA. You'd be surprised at how cheap some companies can be when it comes to business travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.