Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA route changes announced 21 Aug 2018, inc cutting ORD-PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA route changes announced 21 Aug 2018, inc cutting ORD-PVG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
All things being equal, I'd rather connect through JFK than PHL. I like Terminal 8, I like the Flagship Lounge, and I like connecting at "JFK." I don't like the CLT or PHL airports.
I agree. Even though I hate the up the escalator, down the escalator between the 8 terminal sections, JFK has far more premium options and is far less crowded in the terminal versus CLT or PHL. In CLT and PHL I have to dodge tons of people and they always feel chaotic.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
out of the 3 core Midwest legacy hubs (AA ORD UA ORD DL DTW), this change will make AA by far the weakest own-metal offering for TPAC

even if you expand that definition to account for nearby hubs with with similar TPAC pax flow, namely DL MSP and AC YYZ, the same applies

It’s truly mind-boggling that if after DL begins MSP ICN next April, just counting own metal flights, even DL MSP will have 4.7x the number of flights as AA ORD, let alone their juggernaut TPAC operation out of DTW.

call me a pessimist, but I have little hope that AA ORD NRT will actually survive even in the medium term.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by tphuang
I think it's crazy they cut NRT to sub daily. They need to maintain at least one daily service to Asia on their own metal. But that's just me.
Totally agree! At least JAL can provide connecting traffic from NRT. Also, I thought the B788 would make any route, including thin routes, profitable.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Originally Posted by wetrat0
It's 3x week, which is appropriate for a leisure locale. The video accompanying the press release explained that they have used the data from their JV with BA to look at where people were connecting to in London. That is where they came up with the new routes (in addition to previous adds PRG and BUD). If enough people are double-connecting XXX-PHL/JFK/ORD-LHR-DBV they can provide a more attractive and more cost-effective connection XXX-PHL-DBV.
Originally Posted by jsieds
I was a XXX-MAD-DBV connection in July. Surely this change was made with me in mind.
Would be curious to see their data. There's no LHR-DBV flight, presumably it's people going through MAD on IB instead? Or transferring to the BA flight that's LGW-DBV?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL PL, B6 M3
When do we expect these new flights to be bookable? In particular some of the flights listed as canceled are still accepting reservations,
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Looks like a number of the new flights are now bookable. I saw SAAver J availability for PHL-DBV. ORD-ATH is also loaded but no SAAver in Y or J when I checked.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
Looks like a number of the new flights are now bookable. I saw SAAver J availability for PHL-DBV. ORD-ATH is also loaded but no SAAver in Y or J when I checked.
I’m not seeing SAAver J to DBV in the first few weeks of service, but there are 3 SAAver J seats on the maiden 6/6 flight to BLQ. Undoubtedly an error by AA, so smokebook ‘em while you got ‘em.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by DC Mike
Would be curious to see their data. There's no LHR-DBV flight, presumably it's people going through MAD on IB instead? Or transferring to the BA flight that's LGW-DBV?
I would guess it's primarily data about MAD transfers. But they might also have data about the number of people who searched for US-DBV flights and then balked (i.e., didn't complete the transaction). Presumably because they didn't want the surface sector LHR/LGW.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beltway
I’m not seeing SAAver J to DBV in the first few weeks of service, but there are 3 SAAver J seats on the maiden 6/6 flight to BLQ. Undoubtedly an error by AA, so smokebook ‘em while you got ‘em.
Intersting! I took another look and if you search PHL - DBV it shows no availability. If you check ORD - DBV there’s quite a bit routing through PHL.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Consider this sentence :

“we are Avianca Brazil and let’s move most of our long haul routes from São Paulo, where’s there’s too much competition, to Belo Horizonte, where we have the fortress hub to ourselves. Don’t you know there are people in Brazil who live outside of SP ??”

sounds ridiculous right ?

Now substitute O6 for AA, GRU for JFK, and CNF for PHL, and that’s the gist of the defense we’re hearing.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williambruno1975
Consider this sentence :

“we are Avianca Brazil and let’s move most of our long haul routes from São Paulo, where’s there’s too much competition, to Belo Horizonte, where we have the fortress hub to ourselves. Don’t you know there are people in Brazil who live outside of SP ??”

Now substitute O6 for AA, GRU for JFK, and CNF for PHL, and that’s the gist of the defense we’re hearing.
I imagine Avianca Brazil doesn’t have the long history of serving GRU that AA has had at JFK. Yes there’s a lot of competition but it’s sad (pathetic?) that AA couldn’t compete.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
The LHR-PHX route has been loaded as AA 194/195 and is considerably earlier in the day than the BA flights which makes sense to not compete with the BA rotations. It departs LHR at 9am and arrives at PHX at 12:30 and then leaves PHX at 15:00 and arrives at LHR at 09:00. Neither flight is great for jet lag but could be very useful for connections further east such as flights to India.

Also based on the schedule it looks like the aircraft will position with another flight to London (eg a JFK rotation) and not have a positioning flight to PHX within the US.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD

Intersting! I took another look and if you search PHL - DBV it shows no availability. If you check ORD - DBV there’s quite a bit routing through PHL.
This is very typical of AA for almost any European cities.
Several times a year, return is ticketed to ORD or CLT or DFW via PHL (with PHL-XXX portion thrown away)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:20 am

a) Moving MUC from PHL to CLT - they might have landed some corp contract
b) Surprised at PHL-BLQ (so close to VCE) wouldnt Milan have more demand?
c) cant see PHL-DBV lasting beyond one or two season trial balloon (there is no OW partner at DBV for further connection traffic)

Still no nordic countries? HEL may make sense with FinnAir connections Otherwise seasonal PHL-CPH-ARN-PHL make sense too

Wonder if PRG and BUD would make it in long run
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by williambruno1975
Consider this sentence :

Brazil is not the United States.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.