Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA route changes announced 21 Aug 2018, inc cutting ORD-PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA route changes announced 21 Aug 2018, inc cutting ORD-PVG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k
Berlin and Bologna nonstop from PHL is happy news for me.
It's pretty wild that AA will soon offer non-stop service to four destinations in Italy--including BLQ, a short train ride from VCE--but nothing to BRU.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by northernlights1
Good question. I know that 747 BA uses on this route is such an old tired dog its time they got some competition. But will the 777-200 product be an upgrade to the 747? That BA route seems like it is always packed...
It's not supposed to be competition since AA and BA have a revenue-sharing joint venture. But the 772 is a definite upgrade to the 747. At this point, I'd say all of the AA business class offerings are superior to Club World on any aircraft, with the possible exception of AA's 75L.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:04 pm

Good question. I know that 747 BA uses on this route is such an old tired dog its time they got some competition. But will the 777-200 product be an upgrade to the 747? That BA route seems like it is always packed...
Those 747s BA use are getting a moderate refresh incidentally: Mid-J 747 Cabin Refresh
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
As a Glaswegian native it's disappointing to see the loss of PHL-GLA, shame as all TATL will likely move to DL now with JFk-GLA.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stewlevine
Anyone else surprised no announced changes to DFW-KEF?
Albeit anecdotal, but the flights seems to be pretty full for the most part. I am not surprised to see it return.

DFW-KEF isn't designed to be a money maker. its to ensure FI and WW aren't either.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
The PHX Sky Harbor airport press release (linked above) states that BA will continue their daily service, augmented with AA's seasonal daily service for a total of 14 weekly flights next summer. So, it appears that BA's extra 3X weekly seasonal flights will not return next summer.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wetrat0
It's 3x week, which is appropriate for a leisure locale. The video accompanying the press release explained that they have used the data from their JV with BA to look at where people were connecting to in London. That is where they came up with the new routes (in addition to previous adds PRG and BUD). If enough people are double-connecting XXX-PHL/JFK/ORD-LHR-DBV they can provide a more attractive and more cost-effective connection XXX-PHL-DBV.
PRG & BUD can get some Biz traffic and both are the Capital Citys of each country, which isnt the case with DBV

There maybe a cruise here and there that starts in DBV but most start from VCE

If they cant make FRA or MUC work, I just dont see how DBV will work absent the beef= biz travel .

Just cause a US carrier can make $$$ on a Buffalo routing (Niagra Falls) doesnt mean a foreign carrier can make $$ flying non-stop from Europe to Buffalo, which is AA is doing by flying to DBV
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
All leisure for me but as a West Coast based flyer, I don’t find PHL attractive as a connection- mostly crappy planes LAX-PHL (true iof most trans cons besides JFK) and it adds so much to the flight time vs a direct TATL ; I prefer to transfer at LHR if I can snag the 77W lax-lhr.

Given LAX-JFK frequencies, never a tight connection there if one doesn’t want it.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
All leisure for me but as a West Coast based flyer, I don’t find PHL attractive as a connection- mostly crappy planes LAX-PHL (true iof most trans cons besides JFK) and it adds so much to the flight time vs a direct TATL ; I prefer to transfer at LHR if I can snag the 77W lax-lhr.

Given LAX-JFK frequencies, never a tight connection there if one doesn’t want it.
LAX is an outlier for what AA is going after with these PHL flights - cutting a connection for those US cities that don't have a Europe flight or may only have 1-2 that makes AA through PHL viable option.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Isn't AA first nonstop from PHL-BLQ/DBV? They never flown to US before. I am pretty sure about this. If this route will done very well.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by jsieds
I was a XXX-MAD-DBV connection in July. Surely this change was made with me in mind.
And AA doesn't know it, but a year ago July I flew XXX-FRA-DBV in J on LH (which was so disloyal of me ).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jmr50
(or even.. sigh.. going back to United.
OK - let's not get carried away...
beltway and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:54 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Smile

It seems clear that PHL is becoming a major TA hub for AA. My guess is that it provides optimal connections from the West and South, but also lets them focus their JFK slots on profitable flights for the NYC market. I wouldn't be shocked to see them widdle JFK down to just LAX, SFO and LHR at the rate they're going.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
There are now no OW nonstops from ORD to anywhere in China, except for HKG of course. The other alliances (in particular *A with multiple airlines) now own the ORD-China market.
and hk isnt china.
china is just full of freeloaders and cannot afford the better price. Only 2 posts talk about those flight in a non discriptive of facts way shows how little demand there is

Last edited by kaka; Aug 21, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:23 pm

I appreciate that PHL fliers might appreciate this option but the broad *A service to all of Croatia's major airports is far better than a single TATL flight on a janky old 767. I'd much rather fly to FRA, MUC, or VIE and connect on to DBV. From a OneWorld perspective, however, this would be nice as the BA flights to DBV usually go via LGW vs LHR. I visit Croatia at least 2x a year to see family and have completely given up on OW - Star Alliance is far more convenient. Interestingly, my family in Dalmatia isn't too excited about 3 flights a week of Ma and Pa Kettles gearing up for their Game of Thrones Tour in "Kings Landing". My advice - skip Dubrovnik and head south to Montenegro - it's a short drive. And please, no matter what, don't visit Mljet or any of the other islands. They are awful, horrible places... promise... you really won't like them
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.