Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA route changes announced 21 Aug 2018, inc cutting ORD-PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA route changes announced 21 Aug 2018, inc cutting ORD-PVG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:29 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow. Sad to see DFW-PBC go. I have business down there that sees me visiting 2 or 3 times a year. Will have to fly those on UA now for those trips.

Have flown PHL-MUC a couple times since I work for a company based in SZG. Never liked the timing with a 4:30 departure, but guess it doesn't matter now.

What will be left at JFK in a couple years? That is really sad to see it all just getting dismantled.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Is there a master list of all the routes with planes? I am sure this is a long shot, but as a newer frequent traveler this would be great to have. Especially if it has aircraft type since I am chasing a few.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by AAguy1979
I appreciate that PHL fliers might appreciate this option but the broad *A service to all of Croatia's major airports is far better than a single TATL flight on a janky old 767. I'd much rather fly to FRA, MUC, or VIE and connect on to DBV. From a OneWorld perspective, however, this would be nice as the BA flights to DBV usually go via LGW vs LHR. I visit Croatia at least 2x a year to see family and have completely given up on OW - Star Alliance is far more convenient. Interestingly, my family in Dalmatia isn't too excited about 3 flights a week of Ma and Pa Kettles gearing up for their Game of Thrones Tour in "Kings Landing". My advice - skip Dubrovnik and head south to Montenegro - it's a short drive. And please, no matter what, don't visit Mljet or any of the other islands. They are awful, horrible places... promise... you really won't like them
I dunno.... last year recently connected over FRA on *A to go to Croatia. FRA-SPU on LH was fine, although Euro J leaves a lot to be desired. However, DBV-FRA on OU was disgusting. Like maybe the plane hadn't been cleaned ever; gross food; some weird grainy video playing the whole time. I would take a janky old AA 767 every day of the week (metaphorically speaking, I know it's only 3w) over that experience.
beltway likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by atbPy
Is there a master list of all the routes with planes? I am sure this is a long shot, but as a newer frequent traveler this would be great to have. Especially if it has aircraft type since I am chasing a few.
Yes, it's in the first post of this thread.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by craz
PRG & BUD can get some Biz traffic and both are the Capital Citys of each country, which isnt the case with DBV

There maybe a cruise here and there that starts in DBV but most start from VCE

If they cant make FRA or MUC work, I just dont see how DBV will work absent the beef= biz travel .

Just cause a US carrier can make $$$ on a Buffalo routing (Niagra Falls) doesnt mean a foreign carrier can make $$ flying non-stop from Europe to Buffalo, which is AA is doing by flying to DBV
We're talking a 3x/week 763 for 15 weeks during peak tourist season. That's only about 10,000 total seats each way over the course of a year, concentrated in the high fare season. This is not a lot of capacity. And Croatia is a hot destination right now... I wouldn't exactly call it the "Buffalo" of Europe. Last year the advance purchase coach fares from US east coast to Croatia in July were in the $2000 range R/T. Compare that to the ORD-PVG flights that AA just pulled, where reports upthread of routinely available $700 last minute R/T.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
It seems clear that PHL is becoming a major TA hub for AA. My guess is that it provides optimal connections from the West and South, but also lets them focus their JFK slots on profitable flights for the NYC market. I wouldn't be shocked to see them widdle JFK down to just LAX, SFO and LHR at the rate they're going.
This makes the pretty bad assumption that people (like me!) who fly to LAX, SFO and LHR don't want to fly anywhere else.

AA's already lost the vast majority of my LAX and SFO flying to DL, and this move makes me further inclined to focus on DL as a primary carrier with AA as a backup whereas I'd been doing the opposite for the past two years.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Yes, it's in the first post of this thread.
Those are just the changes. I am looking for all routes flown.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Do we think this change.org petition had anything to do with the ORD-ATH route? The leader is taking credit and I'm pretty sure it's a lucky coincidence. Thoughts?

Link: https://www.change.org/p/13286196/u/23170134
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
With all these routings ex PHL on TATL, AA had better get moving on a proper Flagship Lounge at PHL....
C17PSGR, wrp96 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Agreed as I sit in the Flagship Lounge LAX. PHL is a pretty suck airport, and needs some help. Having flown JFK/ZRH all last year, only to have the service cancelled, I humbly suggest AA upgrade PHL for European connections. CLT and PHL are pretty horrible airports.
C17PSGR and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rowingman
Agreed as I sit in the Flagship Lounge LAX. PHL is a pretty suck airport, and needs some help. Having flown JFK/ZRH all last year, only to have the service cancelled, I humbly suggest AA upgrade PHL for European connections. CLT and PHL are pretty horrible airports.
+1. Plus upgrade the lounges.

Will miss ORD-PVG
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by AAdamE
Do we think this change.org petition had anything to do with the ORD-ATH route? The leader is taking credit and I'm pretty sure it's a lucky coincidence. Thoughts?

The movement to get ORD-ATH on the schedule, has been going on for quite a while, and in various ways. The irony of this, is that the petition wasn't even submitted to anyone yet....just put online. It wasn't submitted to AA. In reality, it should have been UA's to begin with, as it was some of their employees that started the Facebook page, as well as submitting information to headquarters, detailing why they should do it. But of course, UA does whatever it feels like doing, regardless to what employees(or flyers) tell them.

In recent weeks, the momentum was going towards AA, not only with UA's complacency, but the fact that some AA employees(mostly flight attendants) were trying to push things on their end. There is, of course, the petition drive. But also, the EU just recently determined that Greece "was now out of the financial crisis"....which may have been what "pulled the trigger", at AA. It seemed, with that in mind, like AA actually had a plan in the works...….while UA was still stuck in the "Greece is about low-yield vacationers during the summer, that are mostly from New York" mentality.

But who knows? Some or all the factors have figured in. The bottom line is that it is on, and we are glad it's on.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
It's pretty wild that AA will soon offer non-stop service to four destinations in Italy--including BLQ, a short train ride from VCE--but nothing to BRU.
And it's really mind-boggling that they chose BLQ, over the likes of PMO, BRI, etc.
beltway likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by AAdamE

Yes, they sure did. They sign the petition about ORD-ATH nonstop. I'm pretty sure about this guy who sign the petition.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:37 pm

Am I wrong that the short version of these changes is: We're getting our clock cleaned internationally in Chicago. And New York. And Most of the German market. But look at all of the shiny international seasonal destinations you can fly to for a few months out of the year! Enjoy your LHR and NRT connections, business travelers!

AA's year round long haul international portfolio out of ORD in particular is now a bad joke. London and Tokyo (3 times a week). With partners serving Madrid and Hong Kong. That's it on a year round basis. Star and United are whomping AA at ORD, and it isn't even close. I feel like there are at least 5 European destinations AA/OW should be able to make work year round from Chicago: London, Madrid, Manchester, Paris, and Dublin. They only do so on two of them. I'm going to hold out hope that maybe in the next few years the 321neo might be a game changer and better able to serve PHL/ORD-BRU/MAN/DUB/CDG/FRA/MUC/HEL/AMS in a way that AA can't clearly do now with the 757/767 clunker fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.