Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA made a change to my reservation/How long do I have ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MSC Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, RCCL Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite

AA made a change to my reservation. We are flying out on Nov 30th and returning Dec 10th. Both legs have flight changes. How long do I have to accept or make a change without penalty? We may want to come back earlier now but will not know for awhile. We are flying Business class.

Thanks a million,
Kyle
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there's any limit, unless you received an email from them saying there was.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Harmoncove
Both legs have flight changes. How long do I have to accept or make a change without penalty?
Are the changes of a nature that give you a free change?

How much earlier? Days? They're not obligated to offer that.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
There's not really a time limit.

If the changes are very minor - like a 95 minute connection that's now 88 minutes - you might not get any accommodation.

If you want to change the date of your return, you'll have to at least be able to argue that the new routing is undesirable enough to warrant it. For example, suppose you were supposed to leave at 9AM, connect, and arrive at 10PM, and they changed the departure to 7AM, but there is a nonstop leaving at 10AM and arriving at 9PM. They would almost surely let you change to the nonstop that leaves later and arrives earlier, but not necessarily change the date.

It's pretty much up to the reservations agent.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, depending on the extent of the flight changes, OP could be eligible for a complete refund, and then they could rebook, potentially on another airline. (Obviously waiting until too close to departure would result in a higher fare). If there is no or a minimal fare difference, there’s no reason AA couldn’t just waive the change fee and rebook the OP for whatever he wants — especially since he only wants to change the return, the itinerary doesn’t need to be re-priced/re-fared and the only potential issue would be whether the same booking class is available on the new return flight.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

My flights are direct EWR>MIA non-stop r/t. They change the departure time by 1 hour on the first leg and the same with the return flight. I am ok with the change on the first leg but the second leg require us to get up earlier and deal with morning traffic, something I am trying to get away from living here in the NYC area. There is a Sunday flight (1 day earlier) that actually fits our schedule. I just may not know what I want to do, therefore putting it off and hoping not to lose that chance to make the change.

Last edited by Harmoncove; Aug 20, 2018 at 7:32 pm Reason: .
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just call AA and tell them what you want and hope they listen
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
At one hour you are not entitled to anything. But, AA tends to be very flexible about requests which are reasonable. Yours is. You should have the exact flights ready for the agent and understand that the answer may be negative.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
At one hour you are not entitled to anything. But, AA tends to be very flexible about requests which are reasonable. Yours is. You should have the exact flights ready for the agent and understand that the answer may be negative.
I'll have to explain to them that I am coming off a cruise ship and the one hour earlier departure I will miss.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:13 am

I'll have to explain to them that I am coming off a cruise ship and the one hour earlier departure I will miss.
But you will not miss the one day earlier departure?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Often1
I had two itineraries recently where connections were cut really short (30-40 minutes under new schedule) where they had been about 90 minutes previously. I called and had no problem in getting the AA agent to change them to longer connections that I preferred.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
The important thing is you don't get a second change, so make sure you know what you want when you call!
ijgordon and JDiver like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I got the following email from AA 3 days ago: "We made a change to your flight, and this is your updated itinerary. Flight changes may include updates to departure/arrival times, flight numbers, seat assignments, aircraft type, operating airline or class of service.". They had discontinued the non-stop LAX-RDU, so rebooked us on a red eye a day earlier. I called and told them my 80 year old mother doesn't really do red eyes, so the agent canceled and refunded the itin and the MCE charges with no problem. I rebooked it the same day in F (one leg on a 789) with a connection for cheaper than the original flight in Y. Thanks AA !
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
But you will not miss the one day earlier departure?
That's a reason why I wanted to wait to make the change. We have the cruise booked but not paid in full, so I can cancel . We will just tour Miami instead and leave a day earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.