Search

KY youth group misses AA flight in CVG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
KY youth group misses AA flight in CVG

According to article, they were at airport 2 hours in advance. What should AA do?

Kentucky youth group kept off American Airlines flight over check-in delay | Fox News
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:49 pm

This is what happens when an Airline locks down the computer system so much that common sense overrides can not be completed by a customer service representative.
Nick0514 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Centurion
This is what happens when an Airline locks down the computer system so much that common sense overrides can not be completed by a customer service representative.
Sounds to me like something else was going on, this doesn't sound like an Easy Sabre issue. More likely, the pastor and the 39 other people had to wait in line before being served, and then it took a while to get through everyone's passports.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zrs70
What should AA do?
I don't think that there is enough information to make a determination

According to https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/arrival-times.jsp , AA recommends that passengers arrive 90 minutes before departure - it seems that they were more than 90 minutes before departure

It is unknown whether they had to queue , and if so for how long, before they reached the check in desk

Once the passengers had boarding passes, did they all wait at check in desk or did most of them make their way throug security - if the former , then not waiting would have got them to the gate in time for the flight ( if they really missed it by 3 minutes )

It does sound like the passengers did do what they should have done by getting there nearly 2 hours before departure
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It will be interesting to hear the other side of the story.

Checking 40 people with luggage in for a flight happens every single day. The fact that they were together should be irrelevant.

Trying to check 40 bags under one person's ticket is idiotic.
JDiver, chrisny2 and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
According to https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/arrival-times.jsp , AA recommends that passengers arrive 90 minutes before departure - it seems that they were more than 90 minutes before departure
Originally Posted by https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/arrival-times.jsp
Outside the U.S. - at least 2 hours
Pretty sure Leon, Mexico is outside the U.S.

According to article, they were at airport 2 hours in advance.
Pedantically, no it didn't.
arrived to the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport at 5:58 ...7:54 a.m. flight
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Pretty sure Leon, Mexico is outside the U.S..
Except that they were flying TO Mexico, not checking in in Mexico

Originally Posted by AA
When to arrive at the airport

Our recommended arrival times are meant to allow plenty of time to check in (with or without bags) and clear security before scheduled departure.
Within the U.S. - 1.5 hours
■Outside the U.S. - at least 2 hours
They were not outside the US
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:04 am

I read that the CSR issued boarding passes for everyone and then was going to put all the bags on the group leaders ticket. This could have been done back in the day but not anymore. I stand by my earlier post <<This is what happens when an Airline locks down the computer system so much that common sense overrides can not be completed by a customer service representative.>>
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
I read that the CSR issued boarding passes for everyone and then was going to put all the bags on the group leaders ticket. This could have been done back in the day but not anymore. I stand by my earlier post <<This is what happens when an Airline locks down the computer system so much that common sense overrides can not be completed by a customer service representative.>>
I don't see how having a procedure that is supposed to be followed is not common sense

Agents should follow correct procedure and not be making up their own ideas on how they would like to do it

Agents shouldn't be able to normally override procedures that are in place

If this was the cause of their missing the flight, then it sounds like it is AA's fault
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:55 am
C46

40 bags pooled - the respective Station GSC should get smacked over the head, with a full AOSSP-printout, for allowing such bullcrap at his station!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
According to article, they were at airport 2 hours in advance. What should AA do?

Kentucky youth group kept off American Airlines flight over check-in delay Fox News

Refund everyone's ticket.
Pay the added hotel and meal expenses.
Offer vouchers to each passenger.
Stop doing idiotic things like this to customers who follow the rules.
Be proactive instead of reactive. Issues should not have to make the internet before they re resolved in a common sense manner. For every occurrence such as this one, there are dozens that go unnoticed by the general public.
SK, ijgordon and enpremiere like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:21 am

Seems like basically every AA employee they interacted with did something silly. One agent suggests the bizarre procedure of doing all the checkins and then all the bags which seems like a bunch more total work than just doing a series of regular checkins. The next agent tries to check 40 bags against one person. Then the GA decides to hold to a technicality on boarding time despite the fact that it's a HUGE group, they have checked bags already on the plane, and it's almost certainly slower and going to delay everyone else on the plane more to pull 40 bags out of the hold. What a dumb, lose-lose decision. Maybe the GA gets to claim the plane left "on-time" this way, though. (Good job AA execs! If there's ever proof of "you get what you measure", this is it...)

Seems like a series of bad customer service interactions by AA. Hopefully they're doing a lot to make it right, but probably they're not.
windscar and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by jordyn
Then the GA decides to hold to a technicality on boarding time despite the fact that it's a HUGE group, they have checked bags already on the plane, and it's almost certainly slower and going to delay everyone else on the plane more to pull 40 bags out of the hold. What a dumb, lose-lose decision. Maybe the GA gets to claim the plane left "on-time" this way, though. (Good job AA execs! If there's ever proof of "you get what you measure", this is it...)
This is what I don't get. I would imagine if a group of 40 is at the gate before the plane has pushed back- and the luggage is in the hold- any reasonable captain would override the GA and the group board. Surely the captain had to know 40 expected passengers weren't on board. I suspect most of us on FT have had a plane held for far fewer people.

Of course, we only have the 1-sided view from the group, but if what they're saying is reasonably close, it's hard to believe a GA would rather try to rebook 40 unhappy people than simply let them board.
apeortdz and windscar like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by jordyn
Seems like basically every AA employee they interacted with did something silly. One agent suggests the bizarre procedure of doing all the checkins and then all the bags which seems like a bunch more total work than just doing a series of regular checkins. The next agent tries to check 40 bags against one person. Then the GA decides to hold to a technicality on boarding time despite the fact that it's a HUGE group, they have checked bags already on the plane, and it's almost certainly slower and going to delay everyone else on the plane more to pull 40 bags out of the hold. What a dumb, lose-lose decision. Maybe the GA gets to claim the plane left "on-time" this way, though. (Good job AA execs! If there's ever proof of "you get what you measure", this is it...)

Seems like a series of bad customer service interactions by AA. Hopefully they're doing a lot to make it right, but probably they're not.
I'm going to hit a lot of fault on closing the door without allowing the group to board. We're talking a large group - not one or two strays.

Common sense is lacking here.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I'm going to hit a lot of fault on closing the door without allowing the group to board. We're talking a large group - not one or two strays.

Common sense is lacking here.

Factor in that the GA knew they were checked in already. It's amazing how airlines continue to find creative ways to screw things up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.