KY youth group misses AA flight in CVG

Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
So I know the news reported they removed the bags from the flight, but why? I understand that international flights have positive bag matching, but the flight in question wasn't the international segment. Shouldn't the bags have still been able to fly on the domestic leg then never loaded on the international segment? Or does AA positive bag match for all segments of an international itinerary?
Even if the bags were loaded and could have flown on the 1st segment, doing so would not have been a good thing for the passengers whose bags they were, would it?

I know any other country where I travel, bags are not left onboard a flight if the passengers are not travelling
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
So I know the news reported they removed the bags from the flight, but why? I understand that international flights have positive bag matching, but the flight in question wasn't the international segment. Shouldn't the bags have still been able to fly on the domestic leg then never loaded on the international segment? Or does AA positive bag match for all segments of an international itinerary?
Positive bag is for international, I bet the real reason for removal is to allow them to have some clothing and toiletries. Imagine if bags where allowed to go, then following day they had to claim 40pcs of luggage and re check them again. That would have been time consuming.

Last edited by arollins; Aug 21, 2018 at 9:28 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by arollins
The repercussions on this are enormous, as mentioned above, 40 families have a negative image and opinion of AA, but it also shows a level of insensitivity on AA regarding charity work. I wonder if this group had made prior arrangements with AA to organize this and perhaps get a group rate. I can only hope that this is used as a learning experience on AA and perhaps loosen up a bit and allow some flexibility on the GA.
Honestly, having 40 families have a negative image and opinion of AA isn't a big deal to a company that flies 51.1 million passengers annually and has a market capitalization of ~ $25 billion. Unless one of those parents is a travel manager at a major corporation, in which case, this still probably wouldn't have a huge impact.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by arollins

Positive bag is for international, I bet the real reason for removal is to allow them to have some clothing and toiletries. Imagine if bags where allowed to go, then following day they had to claim 40pcs of luggage and re check them again. That would have been time consuming.
I doubt that that was the reason. The passengers were travelling internationally , just not on that flight. If the airline had transported the bags, they would have ended up left behind at the connection point and the potentally have to be flown back to the origin
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I doubt that that was the reason. The passengers were travelling internationally , just not on that flight. If the airline had transported the bags, they would have ended up left behind at the connection point and the potentally have to be flown back to the origin
Yes, this^^^. Add in the possibility of a re-reoutig to accommodate this large group ad there's no telling where the bags end up. AA didn't remove the bags out of the goodness of their heart. They did it because it was the easiest thing for them to do.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:59 am

Epic fAAil. And the usual, tedious blame the passenger thing. "well they should have known to . . ." No they should not, unless there are specific instruction that the group ignored.

If the airline can't process a group, then the group tix shouldn't be sold. Period.

Group shows up as instructed, before the counters are even open. Airlines fails. End of story.
Spiff, jordyn, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by donotblink
Honestly, having 40 families have a negative image and opinion of AA isn't a big deal to a company that flies 51.1 million passengers annually and has a market capitalization of ~ $25 billion. Unless one of those parents is a travel manager at a major corporation, in which case, this still probably wouldn't have a huge impact.
Until it hits the news, and then 4,000,000 people are getting that negative image.
ijgordon and george 3 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by bostonkarl
Epic fAAil. And the usual, tedious blame the passenger thing. "well they should have known to . . ." No they should not, unless there are specific instruction that the group ignored.

If the airline can't process a group, then the group tix shouldn't be sold. Period.

Group shows up as instructed, before the counters are even open. Airlines fails. End of story.
Indeed - if, as suggested, the check in counters wereclosed, how could getting there any earlier have helped anyway
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Due to airline consolidation, most people don't have much real choice anymore among airlines.
True. However, I have friends and colleagues who've sworn off an airline due to slights similar to this. While there are fewer options, there remains options.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Don't know about AA, but UA has group checkin facilities at most of their hubs. I am thinking this was booked as a group and hence there should have been some coordination through "group check-in" no?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: CK or bust
S P O T O N.

It's CVG. Even if were a major station, it's just 40 passengers and once in a year flyers families. That's not part of AA's business model and as long as it's not front page anywhere and no meaningful liability that they'd want to avoid in the future arose, no real changes to operating procedures.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Don't know about AA, but UA has group checkin facilities at most of their hubs. I am thinking this was booked as a group and hence there should have been some coordination through "group check-in" no?
AA might however CVG is an outstation for them with only a couple mainline flights a day to DFW and the rest of the destinations/flights being Eagle operated. I doubt their check-in counter is that big let alone have a separate "group check-in".
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Collierkr
I see it in PHL and SFO. Oddly enough, my last SFO I saw the CSA turn a group of 8 away saying they weren't really a group, just a large family.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
AA has a group check in counter in T5 at LAX. Unfortunately, it is adjacent to the Priority Counter and when I was at the counter with an issue recently, checkin was a mess because they were trying to deal with a group who didn't speak English well, several had overweight bags, and who appeared to have purchased basic economy tickets and were having a hard time understanding why they needed to check carryons.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by DCP2016
AA might however CVG is an outstation for them with only a couple mainline flights a day to DFW and the rest of the destinations/flights being Eagle operated. I doubt their check-in counter is that big let alone have a separate "group check-in".
good point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.