Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KY youth group misses AA flight in CVG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
These replies don't make any sense. They were delayed at the check in counter and people are saying they should have arrived earlier. I'm sorry, can someone explain why it should take longer to check in one group of 40, than 20 groups of 2, or 40 individual passengers? All the people saying they should have known it would take so long to check 40 bags, please explain what AA would do if 40 "normal" passengers showed up on time for the flight and all needed to check bags??
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by zrs70
Someone upthread stated this, but I will restate....

Whether it's an individual or a group of 40 .... they are all going on the same plane. In fact, it should be faster to check in all the kids on this record than it would be to check in 40 separate records. I've done it with AA many times, and it usually works like a well oiled machine. It didn't take 3 minutes per person. It took 45 seconds, at most.

Seeing this is international, and Passports need to be checked, add a minute to that.

But it should not take any additional time at all.
I see we posted basically the same question at the same time... I think you phrased it better!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMorgana
The point is, they were departing the US. This was an international flight, hence the longer recommended arrival time.
The point is, that's not how reading comprehension works.

However, I don't know if there is different guidance for large group travel. That might seem to make sense.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wetrat0
These replies don't make any sense. They were delayed at the check in counter and people are saying they should have arrived earlier. I'm sorry, can someone explain why it should take longer to check in one group of 40, than 20 groups of 2, or 40 individual passengers? All the people saying they should have known it would take so long to check 40 bags, please explain what AA would do if 40 "normal" passengers showed up on time for the flight and all needed to check bags??
There is one difference - If there are , say, 4 check in deaks - then 1 group of 40 is going to likely be limited to 1 check in desk whilst 40 individuals would spread across the check in counters

From the wording on wthe website, it makes no mention of earlier arrival time for groups and it seems that they arrived in line with what is actually listed on the website for recommendation - hard to blame someone for following the recommendation and not "obviously knowing that this should be ignored and a longer time allowed"
wrp96 and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm certainly inclined to agree, but frankly, group travel is quite different from individual travel. Those 40 individual pax could probably be checked in by 3-4 or more different agents. The group may well have had to be handled by one agent. The fact that these were minors might have also played into it. I don't really know.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by zrs70
According to article, they were at airport 2 hours in advance. What should AA do?

Kentucky youth group kept off American Airlines flight over check-in delay Fox News
AA should make a $2k donation to the church to make up for it.

Or would that inflame things in this polarized country? Perhaps AA doesn't give to religious causes by policy.

AA should give them $2k worth of travel vouchers for use by the next group from that church, perhaps.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
AA should make a $2k donation to the church to make up for it.

Or would that inflame things in this polarized country? Perhaps AA doesn't give to religious causes by policy.

AA should give them $2k worth of travel vouchers for use by the next group from that church, perhaps.
If AA is at fault, it should meet their costs incurred , not give a donation to the church; those impacted should be compensated, not the church

From my understanding, the church ddn't fund the trip itself
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Another reason not to fly AA. I don’t care what the other side of the story is... this is just bad AA
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Another reason not to fly AA. I don’t care what the other side of the story is... this is just bad AA
There are dozens of reasons not to fly AA vs. UA (in your case) or DL, etc., etc.

I literally can't think of a stupider one than this.
IndyHoosier and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Well, it takes very little time for 40 individuals on individual bookings, especially if not international.
Many of them simply check in from home, the car, or the kiosk. In any case, if there are 40 people outside your plane 3 minutes after boarding cutoff, why give up that much goodwill?
Instead, they left these young people thinking AA is not the airline to fly............As the saying goes "penny wise, pound foolish"....
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:56 pm

All the people saying they should have known it would take so long to check 40 bags, please explain what AA would do if 40 "normal" passengers showed up on time for the flight and all needed to check bags??
Because the 40 "normal" passengers would have been handled in parallel, not as a whole group in series (one-at-a-time).

Wrangling 40 people is a difficult task, almost impossible when you're dealing with a group of young adults. There's too much stuff happening for 1 customer service rep to manage and keep straight in their head. What they should have done is split the group of 40 into 5 8-person groups; select a leader for each group, and give that leader responsibility for managing their group to the plane. Each leader can check in their people through the automated kiosks. Even better would be to book the tickets so AA sees several groups instead of 1 massive group.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by YOUR_FAVORITE_AUDITOR
Because the 40 "normal" passengers would have been handled in parallel, not as a whole group in series (one-at-a-time).

Wrangling 40 people is a difficult task, almost impossible when you're dealing with a group of young adults. There's too much stuff happening for 1 customer service rep to manage and keep straight in their head. What they should have done is split the group of 40 into 5 8-person groups; select a leader for each group, and give that leader responsibility for managing their group to the plane. Each leader can check in their people through the automated kiosks. Even better would be to book the tickets so AA sees several groups instead of 1 massive group.
It is not for someone making a group booking to try and second guess what would be easiest for the airline. The booking would have been made through AA's group booking department and it would be up to it to do what is most appropriate

5-8 passengers would not count as a group booking

Blaming the passenger for not trying to divine what would be best for the company it is making a purchase from , seems quite unreasonable

In many cases, where someone is complaining about issues with flights, it seems that the passenger was at fault. In this case, the documentation on the AA website says to arrive at least 90 minutes before departure and they seem to have arrived at 116 minutes before departure - the agent decided to try to circumvent the procedure for checking bags in , which would have wasted time

as is reported, it does seem that AA is at fault - trying to blame the passengers for making a group booking does seem risible to me
chrisny2, wrp96 and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by jayer
Too tight a connection for a 40-person inexperienced traveler youth group international trip; even if it is bookable. No slack even for a short hiccup. ... Even before the group got to the connecting airport.
What does a connection have to do with not being able to board at the origination? How do we even know what the connection time was?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it was. I got that. Restating, I'd hesitate to presume a 90 minute connection at DFW would work on an average day, with no back-up plan, and it's my home airport.
Again - how would having 2 hours, 3 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours in connection have made any difference to how long ti took them to board at their origination at CVG?

For this plan to work one GA had to check in one person, apparently with luggage, at least every three minutes.
As I posted above - AA checks in 40 people for an individual flight about 6,000 times a day. 40 is not a volume problem. It's a process problem where the agent tried to do everything and then, as the end, pull a rabbit out of his/her hat by putting 40 bags on 1 ticket.

40 individual tickets - treat them just like 40 passengers and have the many agents at the desk process them, just like they do for every other single flight. I've flown with many large groups - never has an agent said that every single person need to see the same agent in sequence.

Again - idiotic.
bchandler02 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is one difference - If there are , say, 4 check in deaks - then 1 group of 40 is going to likely be limited to 1 check in desk whilst 40 individuals would spread across the check in counters
Why?

I've never experienced this with large groups. I flew with my daughter's class trip to Quito/Galapagos last summer. Everyone stood in line and was processed by the next available agent, just like every other passenger/flight. The fact that we were together made absolutely no difference.

The kids, from the photo, aren't 9 years old. Teens are perfectly capable of handing a locator number, or first/last name, and passport to an agent by themselves.

I place the blame on the agent - I'm guessing a supervisor - that appears to have told the one agent to process everyone using a highly unusual (and, as we know now, not possible) process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.