Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

when flight is cancelled, why does AA allow free changes to depart from another city?

when flight is cancelled, why does AA allow free changes to depart from another city?

Old Aug 19, 18, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

example:

I was near SF. I had planned to take Amtrak to LA, spend the day there, and then fly AA from LAX to ORD.

The LAX-ORD flight got cancelled due to weather.(incoming flight cancelled, so the outboung had no aircraft)

I called AA and asked if they could change my flight from SFO to ORD. They did and gave me a new flight on the SFO-ORD flight on the same day. Got a refund on my Amtrak ticket later.

So why would they allow such changes and what is the farthest they would allow? would they have agreed to change it to HNL-ORD or SEA-ORD? I'm just wondering what rules and policies they were following...

thanks!
Old Aug 19, 18, 5:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I regularly switch between NYC-area airports in case of irregular operations.

I get the sense that agents have broad discretion to do whatever it takes to get the passenger on a plane to the destination, or somewhere nearby, in case of irregular operations.

Why wouldn't AA do that? It's tough enough trying to rebook people on the same origin-to-destination routings, so why not allow flexibility?
Old Aug 19, 18, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geometry View Post
<snip>
The LAX-ORD flight got cancelled due to weather.(incoming flight cancelled, so the outbound had no aircraft)
With cancellations due to weather much more discretion to change. They are doing this to help the airline: not help you. From SFO you are 1 less problem for LAX flights.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 19, 18, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Someone will correct me, but I think there is plenty of leeway to change to an airport within 300 miles in case of weather delays etc (I've changed from SDF to CVG, BNA, DAY, IND). And I think there's another rule that provides a 600 mile radius in certain circumstances (perhaps cancellations only?) -- so I don't think you would have been successful in changing to HNL or SEA.

That said, I was recently successful in getting to fly JFK-PHX-CLT-DCA instead of JFK-DCA when the last flights of the day JFK-DCA and LGA-DCA canceled, the trains were full, I wasn't in a state to drive, and the decent hotels were full or way too expensive. Turned a quick hop into a full-Y EQM earning overnight mileage run... some of the only remaining "fun" you can have with routings is during IRROPS, it seems...
Old Aug 25, 18, 6:41 pm

I've always heard it quoted as the 500 mile rule:
Do You Know How To Use The "500 Mile" Airline Rule To Your Advantage? - God Save The Points
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by GWFan View Post
I think on AA it's 300 and 600, see e.g. this advisory: https://www.aa.com/content/images/uk..._Southeast.pdf
Old Aug 26, 18, 11:33 am

Even better!
Old Aug 26, 18, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
So why would they allow such changes and what is the farthest they would allow?
Because cancellations cause significant issues downstream, so if AA can get you out much sooner by booking you on a flight from another airport (at your own expense in this case since it's weather related), its in their best interest to accommodate this change.

Would they have agreed to change it to HNL-ORD or SEA-ORD?
This doesn't make sense. If you live in SFO, how would you get to Hawaii? Seattle is over 800 miles away.
Old Aug 26, 18, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Navig8R View Post
This doesn't make sense. If you live in SFO, how would you get to Hawaii? Seattle is over 800 miles away.
well, from a purely theoretical standpoint, you'd fly. could be a neat way to get some extra EQMs if there was an inexpensive SFO-HNL available that arrived in time to catch the new ORD. doesn't take a submarine to get to Hawaii.
Old Aug 26, 18, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
well, from a purely theoretical standpoint, you'd fly. could be a neat way to get some extra EQMs if there was an inexpensive SFO-HNL available that arrived in time to catch the new ORD. doesn't take a submarine to get to Hawaii.
We learn something new on FT everyday The question should've been; would AA have let the OP change from LAX-ORD to SFO-HNL-ORD or SFO-SEA-ORD? The answer is absolutely not.
Old Aug 26, 18, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Navig8R View Post
We learn something new on FT everyday The question should've been; would AA have let the OP change from LAX-ORD to SFO-HNL-ORD or SFO-SEA-ORD? The answer is absolutely not.
​​​​​​
Hey, never say never! The only way to find out is to try. Maybe one day...
Navig8R and enpremiere like this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Not an AA example but on Delta when my flight was delayed out of BDL they gave me the option to rebook onto another Delta flight out of either BDL, BOS, PVD, HPN, ISP, LGA, JFK, EWR, ALB, SWF, PHL, or ABE.
Old Aug 26, 18, 3:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
I have business in upstate NY from time to time, and I've never had an issue switching between SYR, ROC and ALB during IRROPS. An agent even offered me a switch from ALB to BUF once, though that was unworkable.
Old Sep 6, 18, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
One time, my JFK-LAX portion of JFK-LAX-SYD had irrops (equipment failure) and AA couldn't find me a seat on LAX-SYD until three days later. So they ended up putting me on JFK-LAX-SYD-PER (which is like rebooking you on a flight to San Francisco when your original destination was New York) on Qantas three days later, and moved my return flight back by three days.

Our group had 2 EXPs and 2 Plats.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: