Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is this IDB / involuntary denied boarding? (& compensation)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this IDB / involuntary denied boarding? (& compensation)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:29 am

I don't think it can be called IDB since the OP was offered coach and refused; however, what it can be called is a huge screw-up on behalf of AA's ops, IT system, and the front-line staff collectively responsible for the MX delays, phantom boarding pass, and poor treatment. I think the route to go is the formal complaint one based on all of these things, not IDB since there was in fact an offer to board.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I don't think it can be called IDB since the OP was offered coach and refused; however, what it can be called is a huge screw-up on behalf of AA's ops, IT system, and the front-line staff collectively responsible for the MX delays, phantom boarding pass, and poor treatment. I think the route to go is the formal complaint one based on all of these things, not IDB since there was in fact an offer to board.
Years ago, I also had a similar issue in SNA after a fire at an FAA facility somewhere in southern CA (radar???) causing big air traffic issues.
I was finally able to get a BP for a flight later in the day at the AC and then it was not accepted at boarding. Is there anyone knows what causes these to be canceled? It seems very bad to be issuing boarding passes for specific seats and then to later tell the passenger they do not really have a confirmed seat on the flight. I am fairly sure the computer didn't simply decide to cancel the BP
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
I was finally able to get a BP for a flight later in the day at the AC and then it was not accepted at boarding. Is there anyone knows what causes these to be canceled? It seems very bad to be issuing boarding passes for specific seats and then to later tell the passenger they do not really have a confirmed seat on the flight. I am fairly sure the computer didn't simply decide to cancel the BP
Well, one thing that comes to mind is that some of the in-the-know folks around here have mentioned that AA's systems will in fact cancel out a ticket for a passenger who is double-booked in the same time frame. And, if I'm recalling correctly, it's the later one that gets cancelled (people who know this, please tell me if I'm wrong).

So one - completely unsubstantiated - hypothesis could be that if someone's original ticket/PNR is still live and an AAgent issues a new one, the system might in fact sniff it out and cancel it. Again, probably way off the mark, just thinking out loud.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
You lost me at "urgent".
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
I'm confused re "the boarding pass is AA's property"...and they might want to return it to the OP.
(1)Once his seat [new] assignment was "in the system", couldn't he have gone to one of the kiosks in DFW to re-print his bp?
(2)Some airports like LAS VEGAS, have "generic" terminals, you can print (and c/I) for most airlines, could/would AA claim these as AA's property?
(3)Based on this thread (and others), it might be prudent when checking in to: (a)have aa e-mail you a bp, (b)have a duplicate copy stored on google drive
(4)Are the paper bps I print at home also AA's property
(1) odds are that OP had a situation where he had been "booked" but not "ticketed" or something similar (pardon my ignorance of all the lingo). I had something very similar happen at SFO a while back after my LAX-JFK was canceled and I was sent LAX-SFO to catch an SFO-JFK, only to be snubbed at the gate because we had reservations but no tickets or some noise like that. (ended up okay after customer service vouchers but missed the day in NYC). so, long story short, if OP had tried to reprint a BP, I bet it would have said something like "unable to check you in, see an agent" or if on the app "see airport to check in," etc. Of course, if OP really hadn't tried doing that before going to the gate, then he would have had no reason to know of any such problem.

(2-4) The "it's AA's property" line just makes my blood boil. And I can totally see the agent saying it too. Agent needs to be repurposed.

OP, you have my sympathies.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I did not think you could get a boarding pass without being ticketed at the time it was issued.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:45 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
(1) odds are that OP had a situation where he had been "booked" but not "ticketed" or something similar (pardon my ignorance of all the lingo). I had something very similar happen at SFO a while back after my LAX-JFK was canceled and I was sent LAX-SFO to catch an SFO-JFK, only to be snubbed at the gate because we had reservations but no tickets or some noise like that. (ended up okay after customer service vouchers but missed the day in NYC). so, long story short, if OP had tried to reprint a BP, I bet it would have said something like "unable to check you in, see an agent" or if on the app "see airport to check in," etc. Of course, if OP really hadn't tried doing that before going to the gate, then he would have had no reason to know of any such problem.

(2-4) The "it's AA's property" line just makes my blood boil. And I can totally see the agent saying it too. Agent needs to be repurposed.

OP, you have my sympathies.
When they give you a bp, besides the pnr code, (hidden away somewhere) there should be a ticket number, without that OP is not really "legal" for his seat. [on 001 ticket stock there are other numbers, but the real tickets begin with 001]
So, should we (now) routinely try to reprint bps issued in the AC?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

I asked again when I got to Boston this AM (instead of PVD).
Just to recap...
-Numerous delays from DFW to CLT (4+ hours), ORD (6+ hours) and DCA (1.5+ hours) making it impossible to connect to PVD
-Finally rebooked and baggage transferred to AA's last non-stop to DFW at 8:20pm of course delayed to 9pm due to waiting for crew
-One of the first to board in group 1 - machine beeped not accepting BP
-First uniformed supervisor came by - at first was going to pull passenger in R who as upgraded at gate back to coach (see below - this contradicts her manager's quoted AA policy)
-She decided against this when she saw my segment was cancelled by AA and I wasn't confirmed on the flight
-I asked for IDB and said I was going to complain to DOT - with that she called her manager - then arrived a kid of about 25 who was The Manager of Terminal D - big job it seems for youthful guy
-He told me they will never pull someone who is seated regardless of situation - remnants of Dr. Dao (not his exact words buy my interpretation)
-He questioned me about the course of the day, who rebooked what, when, what time did I try to board, why didn't I reconfirm seat,, boarding pass was AA property, etc..No apologies. Felt a bit like an inquisition trying to get me to trip up somewhere where he could clearly base the blame on me
-Declined IDB because offered seat in lower cabin with offer of refund TBD (which I know is sometimes ridiculously low)
-At that point I declined because I thought he was wrong about IDB and I had the BP - but I've since read CoC and he was right about lower cabiin
-By then they were closing the door and he offered first DFW-ORD with an overnight and then ORD-BOS the next morning with about 3 hours of useful rest at O'hare Hilton
-Bags were waiting at BOS this AM

I keep asking about the history of this record. The DFW manager said it was cancelled 1 minute after it was booked. Maybe or maybe not. Whatever happened the AC agent at DFW had time to book it and reissue it so that a BP appeared with ticket number.

The BOS AC agent, looiking at the record upon arrival, thought someone cancelled the segment when trying to clean up all the other segments after the ticket was reissued and I was checked in.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
I did not think you could get a boarding pass without being ticketed at the time it was issued.
That would have been my guess, but I don't understand why they would be able to later canceled the BP after they AA said you were confirmed and gave you a BP
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

A booking can be cancelled after check in/boarding pass issuance and the traveler can be unaware of it until they try and board the aircraft.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
When they give you a bp, besides the pnr code, (hidden away somewhere) there should be a ticket number, without that OP is not really "legal" for his seat. [on 001 ticket stock there are other numbers, but the real tickets begin with 001]
So, should we (now) routinely try to reprint bps issued in the AC?
I'm sure he had a ticket number when it was printed. Call this a downside of e-ticketing.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I'm sure he had a ticket number when it was printed. Call this a downside of e-ticketing.
Exactly. It sounds to me like the AAgent and/or computer system left a lot of loose segments hanging around, artifacts of the previous (failed) routings, and someone or something started hitting delete...
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I had a situation somewhat like this a few weeks ago. I was in the IAH AC and my direct flight to MIA was delayed. I inquired about a reroute through DFW but the staff wasn't sure my ticket allowed for the change and he therefore called someone at AA. They said it was allowable but I decided in the end to stay with my original flight as I would have been in Y- seats all the way back. When I got to the gate I noticed the app had put me back into my orginal Y seat to MIA and when I approached the card reader it went berzek. After a quick explantation the GA told me reservations actually change my flight (not sure why my BP then showed my original Y seat). GA said just board in 1F and she'd fix. I'm very luck that seat wasn't given away to someone waiting for an upgrade (all non revers in the F cabin).
JDiver and arlflyer like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Not involuntary denied boarding since you were still offered a seat, albeit in lower cabin.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Why is it DFW, AA largest hub/HQ/flagship operation, is a hit or miss with the employees? I've had some wonderful, "anything I can do to help you" types and I've also had Satan's cousins as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.