Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any strategic reason to withhold instrument upgrades on undersold J cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any strategic reason to withhold instrument upgrades on undersold J cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by mcrw00

Oh believe me, I did!

By moot I just mean that my pontificating on the upgrade list dynamics for that particular flight don’t matter.
How did the rebooking go? Did they keep you in J?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by rubikcube

How did the rebooking go? Did they keep you in J?
Very well. They did, ORD-HKG CX in J
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PresRDC
You don't need your upgrade until the flight boards.
With all due respect, this is patently false, at least for me. I only use upgrade instruments on flights with confirmable space at booking. Even if that's not the case, take the case of, say, a GLD with a miles+copay upgrade on an international itinerary, where the difference between getting the upgrade confirmed in advance and at the gate impacts whether he/she has lounge access.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I also suppose if AA has an inkling of potential IRROPS, like crew/maintenance/weather (for that flight or the day before/after) they would hold off clearing upgrades. How's the reliability of this route now? Wasn't it pretty terrible in the early days (or was that LAX-HKG)?
Hmmmm...
AA125 DFW-HKG diverted to Narita Aug 17, cancelled Aug 18

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.