Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA - When Upgraded Passenger w Higher Status Changes Flight (and other pax keeps f

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA - When Upgraded Passenger w Higher Status Changes Flight (and other pax keeps f

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Dear Experts - first post and unique question. I am EXP on AA and booked a ticket together w my fiancee (Platinum) and we both received an upgrade a few days before the flight (MIA/PHX). I am guessing it was my status that was responsible for triggering the upgrade.

I ended up needing to take an earlier flight the day prior to my original itinerary which I did without making any changes to the original reservation I have with her. She is staying on that original flight the next day. Is there a risk that she will get “de upgraded” if I don’t show for the original flight we were booked together on? My ticket was $230 so I am OK with checking in and just throwing the ticket value away and even checking in etc. as I assume by then boarding will be complete and she’ll be OK. Just trying to figure out the best way to handle to make sure she can keep her upgraded seat in first class as the flight now is very full and she is 5 months pregnant so trying to keep her comfortable.

Thank you in advance for your opinions!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @el hoze.
Please follow the redirect as we send this to our AA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by el hoze
Dear Experts - first post and unique question. I am EXP on AA and booked a ticket together w my fiancee (Platinum) and we both received an upgrade a few days before the flight (MIA/PHX). I am guessing it was my status that was responsible for triggering the upgrade.

I ended up needing to take an earlier flight the day prior to my original itinerary which I did without making any changes to the original reservation I have with her. She is staying on that original flight the next day. Is there a risk that she will get “de upgraded” if I don’t show for the original flight we were booked together on? My ticket was $230 so I am OK with checking in and just throwing the ticket value away and even checking in etc. as I assume by then boarding will be complete and she’ll be OK. Just trying to figure out the best way to handle to make sure she can keep her upgraded seat in first class as the flight now is very full and she is 5 months pregnant so trying to keep her comfortable.

Thank you in advance for your opinions!
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

She might well retain her upgrade at this point, but the issue here is she got her upgrade as your traveling companion, which of course she no longer is. If there are operational changes, etc. she may lose her upgrade, as she no longer will have your “borrowed status” and reverts to her own.

AA Adds New Companion Upgrades Policy 5 May 2018

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

in the AA | AAdvantage forum, where this has moved to.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:41 am
Original Poster

thank you all for the move and the responses!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Are the upgrades being pulled from her account or yours?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I've had this happen a small handful of times over the past couple years, only on short regionals (e.g., SDF-DCA) and my companion's seat (whether a comp MCE seat or an F upgrade) has not been changed. I think I've had it happen both when I've opted to take a later flight (meaning I either just miss the scheduled flight, show up at the airport, and take the next one, or I call to do SDFC), and when I've gone to a different city instead or something. JDiver has it right -- if there's any sort of aircraft swap or IRROPS, your companion may lose the upgrade, but odds are it won't be affected otherwise, especially if you are on the same PNR. Of course, as with anything else that's in the grey areas, I wouldn't make a habit out of upgrading companions and not joining them!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Not sure if this would be the same situation but just my experience. I am just a PLT but I moved all of my family to MCE seats, then I split the PNR to me and my wife so we could upgrade. After they seperated the PNR 2(Wife and I) and 3(Kids), the kids still kept their MCE seats for free and it didn't move them, even though I was no longer attached to them. I understand it's just MCE but they didn't give me any issue moving them even though I was a seperate PNR now. Not sure if helpful or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.