BA vs AA J seat width

Old Aug 14, 18, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex-EXP 1.7 MM
BA vs AA J seat width

Hi,
I'm a big guy and I need to do some time on BA. I am worried about seat width. I fit OK in the JAL window seats, but it is tight in the aisle seats as the pod walls dig into my shoulders. I fit fine in the AA 787-800 seats. Appreciate any insight.
Old Aug 14, 18, 5:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by danosu77 View Post
Hi,
I'm a big guy and I need to do some time on BA. I am worried about seat width. I fit OK in the JAL window seats, but it is tight in the aisle seats as the pod walls dig into my shoulders. I fit fine in the AA 787-800 seats. Appreciate any insight.
I think you’ll have to tell is more. Specific aircraft type, etc.

For instance, in Business class, the 787-8 and 787-9 have different seats. 777-200s have the same seats - some have the -8 Zodiac seats, and others the same Super Diamond as the -9.

If it’s Business Class, BA uses a rather older design where the seat is narrow, the extension to a bed is basically a fold-down footrest and most BA. Budiness seats are set up in pairs - you’ll generally have to climb over, or be climbed over, by another passenger in most seats.

I’m a bigger guy and have flown all the ones I’ve discussed. AA hands down - unless it means connecting to a BA narrowbody, as its Club Europe is worse than most AA coach but offers an empty seat between an aisle and exit seats. Though I may recall the seats may be expandable in some narrowbodies. BA forum has a “dashboard” that makes it easy finding threads on aircraft types with greater seat detail.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 14, 18 at 5:56 pm
Old Aug 14, 18, 5:50 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by danosu77 View Post
Hi,
The BA seats are awful and 10 years behind most other carriers. Most carriers are doing 1-2-1 while BA is doing 2-4-2 or 2-3-2 on their 787s.

Given the choice between AA and BA I would pick the AA flight every time.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex-EXP 1.7 MM
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I think you’ll have to tell is more. Specific aircraft type, etc.

For instance, in Business class, the 787-8 and 787-9 have different seats. 777-200s have the same seats - some have the -8 Zodiac seats, and others the same Super Diamond as the -9.

If it’s Business Class, BA uses a rather older design where the seat is narrow, the extension to a bed is basically a fold-down footrest and most BA. Budiness seats are set up in pairs - you’ll generally have to climb over, or be climbed over, by another passenger in most seats.

I’m a bigger guy and have flown all the ones I’ve discussed. AA hands down - unless it means connecting to a BA narrowbody, as its Club Europe is worse than most AA coach but offers an empty seat between an aisle and exit seats. Though I may recall the seats may be expandable in some narrowbodies. BA forum has a “dashboard” that makes it easy finding threads on aircraft types with greater seat detail.
I am flying SAN-LHR-DXB-LHR-ORD-IND. I can go to LAX, but I will miss the AA metal. I will be on the BA 777 LHR to DXB. I will also miss the AA flight LAX-LHR so I will be stuck on BA. The other option is to leave on Saturday and I can go from on Royal Jordanian. Is that a safer bet?
Old Aug 14, 18, 6:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Cross-posting is prohibited on FkyerTalk. As you seem familiar with AA seats and are actually inquiring about BA seats, please continue with your question and replies in the BAEC forum thread you have posted in.

UpgradeMe likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: