Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by arlflyer
It is interesting to read this as someone who is fairly young (early 30's). My knee-jerk reaction upon reading the original post was to wonder, not snidely, but genuinely, why someone so wealthy would have maintained a sole-source relationship with AA for so long anyhow. Most of the benefits of status are things that you get when you buy J or F, which this poster can clearly afford. If I could just buy J or F to wherever I wanted, my life would be a lot easier!

But then I realize that perhaps the real issue is beneath the surface - that OP has lived most of his life and professional career in an era where loyalty was in fact expected and cherished, and he is struggling with the relationship being unilaterally terminated, not on the material grounds of the benefits, but on the philosophical grounds of what the relationship represented. People of my age, we've never had that. We never experienced "service" or customer relationships the way that past generations have been able to, because by the time we came of age, everything had already been downsized, outsourced, leaned out, and automated. So, as a cultural phenomenon, or a representation of one, this is an interesting thread to read.

I wish OP the best of luck, but he needs neither luck nor my wishes!
WOW!

Well thought out, well constructed, and well presented. You see my point.

There is a Masters thesis in there somewhere. Not for me. 10th grade book report on "The Old Man and the Sea"-Old Cuban fisherman goes out to catch fish. Catches big one. Sharks eat fish. Old man goes home with nothing. Will do it again tomorrow. (25 words or less) Got a A/F.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
"Qatar Airways CEO sorry for calling US air hostesses 'grandmothers'"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40593396
Apologizing for the truth. The American way being exported to the Middle East.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Will agree to disagree, if you choose.

Our tipping point: Flight home from CDG last week in paid J. Crap crew, with a crap attitude. Then we took off. Rushed meal service (Entree cart right behind salad cart, right behind drinks cart, all in a row all in the aisle at the same time. J crew clears at the speed of light, draws curtains, and when I go up and ask for refill of wine, ELDERLY BURNEDOUT FA says "The curtains are there for reason!. We are on break!". Me: All I want is a refill of wine. Its been 30 minutes since anybody came through the cabin. ELDERLY BURNEDOUT FA says "You all are suppose to sleep on this flight. That's why I bid it." Me: Sorry to bother. May I have refill of wine, and my wife would like more hot water for her tea. ELDERLY BURNEDOUT FA says "OK, I'll be right there." Me: Its ok. I'll wait here. ELDERLY BURNEDOUT FA says "Oh ok" and gets up. Me: How about 2 hot waters for my wife and 2 wines for me, so we don't inconvenience you and your staff any more than we obviously have. We only have 6 hours to go. Then service went to ...
Absolutely unacceptable and I hope you reported this to AA.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Absolutely unacceptable and I hope you reported this to AA.
Of course it is unacceptable but nothing is going to come of reporting it since (1) AA can't do anything about it, and (2) no one at AA is going to care.
Even if the complaint gets sent down the chain, the FA will deny and the union slug bosses will defend her to the end. OP has wisely decided to move to greener pastures... like many of us.
allset2travel and enpremiere like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 14, 2018 at 2:42 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
For Question #3 . Is it really loyalty on the part of either party?
Frequent flyers are in it for the benefits it brings. That is NOT loyalty As you have indicated you don't want to be EXP anymore because the level of benefits has been reduced.
That isn't really loyalty on your part, now is it?
The goal for the airlines, as a corporation, is the bottom line. It is called fiduciary responsibility.
The airline doesn't exist to benefit mankind. It exists to benefit its shareholders.
Loyalty is a TWO way street. You seem to wish to place all the burdens on the fliers and forgive what the airline does or doesn't do.

AA made ExPlat much harder [for most] to achieve, and at the same time diminished the benefits fairly dramatically.

The flier has shown they are loyal by flying enough and spending enough to qualify for ExPlat. What loyalty has AA shown to its fliers in return?

Demand more--give less.

Sounds like a one-way street to me.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The vast majority of people who make these posts (on the AA forum, other airlines, blogs, etc) seem to be retired, have lifetime status, or otherwise have flown a lot of miles. Or they only fly international trips for leisure. I am in my early 30s, and I just am starting to travel a lot more for work. I could have 20 more years of frequent domestic travel. I've noticed the benefit of status (even mid level status) on my business travels and I am actually getting more serious about securing status on the airlines I fly. It's all about life circumstance.
What benefits exactly?

Originally Posted by beachfan
A perfect example of the diminished treatment of ExPlats is now the priority check in line for Exp is the same as any Citi AAdvantage credit card holder.

Particularly irritating.

Even UA has separate 1K desks at major airports. Not AA.

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Kind of shocking nobody has mentioned taking offense at your ageism. Good grief. Congrats on finishing what was an apparently successful career such that you can ride out the remainder of life with some nice trips served by "the elderly burnouts."
But YIKES the DYKWIA attitude.
YIKES, the condescension in your post. I saw no DYKWIA at all.

He is an ExPlat who is tired of AA demanding more for obtaining the status and receiving less in return. True.

He is tired of sub-par service in premium cabins filled with senior flight attendants who are frankly burnt out, but are who work those cabins due to their seniority and union rules. True.

If you haven't seen it, that tells me you are flying in the back of the bus (or not much at all).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Check out PEK-ORD 9/5
Hopefully not; 7M8 = Boeing 737 MAX 8.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:17 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
JL, CX,just to start. Longer list available on demand.
Have you seen the recent comments on CX? They seem to have gone down the tube big time. JL on the other hand look good.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
It's not really ageist.

The fact is that AA's most premium routes -- are bid by those with the most seniority. If I was in their shoes, I'd be excited to work LAX-HKG three times a month, have AA travel privileges to use the other 20 days of free time, etc Alas, it's not so in most cases unfortunately.
You also have worked for a living.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
What benefits exactly?
Is that a serious question?

- the 100% clearance record I have on long-haul Y-->J SWUs over the past 4 years as EXP
- Lounge access
- Phone lines that actually pick up and provide service during IROPs
- MCE
- Priority check-in lines and fast track security access (primarily beneficial outside of the U.S.)
- baggage fee and award fee waivers
- etc...

I get that people think status isn't as good as it used to be. Fine. I get that people think status is not useful for them. Fine. I get that people don't want to "chase" status. It never made sense to do that.

But to say there are no benefits. Come on.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:01 pm

"ELDERLY burnouts, union protected burnouts and slugs, other burnouts, industrial strength attitudish, and people who just refuse to do their JOB, over and over, and over again" <- you sound nice

"Financial sales for 40+ years-Mr. Parker, I am revenue, and you are expense. Your model is flawed. Recognize this and Dare to be original" <- and pleasant to be around.

You should DEFINITELY take your business elsewhere. Far away preferably.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
"ELDERLY burnouts, union protected burnouts and slugs, other burnouts, industrial strength attitudish, and people who just refuse to do their JOB, over and over, and over again" <- you sound nice
"Financial sales for 40+ years-Mr. Parker, I am revenue, and you are expense. Your model is flawed. Recognize this and Dare to be original" <- and pleasant to be around.
You should DEFINITELY take your business elsewhere. Far away preferably.
Sounds like an AA employee or apologist having trouble dealing with the truth.
jcatman likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Sounds like an AA employee or apologist having trouble dealing with the truth.
Sorry to disappoint but no connection at all. Simply noting the OPs, quite unnecessary, attitude.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:38 pm

I left last year and status matched/challenged to UA 1K. May as well get the last little bit of value out of that last year of EXP....
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I left last year and status matched/challenged to UA 1K. May as well get the last little bit of value out of that last year of EXP....
Proof that there are still some benefits to being EXP.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:32 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I did that as well the end of 2017, after I had more than requalified for EXP. The grass is only greener because we think it is. It's not. Same problems: low percentage of UPG's but higher fare basis for the international UPG's, same service issues, same airplane food. Guess what: it's an airline not your own private Idaho. OP: Get over it. When it comes to service issues-I know the FA's are not the young, attractive Asian/European/(fill in the blank here) you would prefer- the Zen Master story comes to mind:

The Zen Master lived on the path between two cities, one in the north and the other the south. Travelers would stop and stay at his house on their journey. One traveler coming from the north asked over dinner what the people were like in the south. The Zen Master asked him how he found the people in the north. “Terrible” was the reply. “Most unfriendly and unwelcoming people I’ve ever met. I couldn’t wait to leave” The Zen Master replied that he would find the people in the south much the same. Sometime later, another traveler, coming from the south, stayed with the Zen Master and asked what the people were like in the north. The Zen Master asked how he found the people in the south. “Fantastic, nicest people I’ve ever met. Made me feel like I was a part of their family and treated me so well. I hated to leave.” The Zen Master replied that he would find the people in the north much the same.

CX is not the CX of old either. BA: much worse than AA. I do like QR and OS as I think they still have their eye on the ball. But, I'm just a poor, retired ex-pat in BKK and need to pay less and get more than I'm paying for, which of course is all relative. AA still is that option, as I can always plan ahead and have used all my SWU's every year, finding the flights that are immediately available to UPG at booking, for the lowest price. Of course, I am always doing the HKG-LAX RT midweek, which is one of the easier UPG's, but I recently had a JFK-LHR UPG immediately as well, etc.

The rules may change but the game remains the same. Deal with it or don't. No one is forcing you to get on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.