Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP for 2019 going free agent - Warning YMMV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

Warning: YMMV

DisAAdvantage changes have finally freed me, and driven me, and MrsDallas49er, to go free agent in 2019. We have both qualified for EXP-but if you ain't CK, you ain't s***!

Now semi-retired, where most travel is international (while I still can). We have an apartment in Paris, a bucket list a mile long and 50 yards wide, and (fortunately) we both worked hard enough to afford. MrsDallas49er also EXP since 2009

Question #1-Why should I chase "status", when if one is not CK, you ain't s***, and one's lower tier loyalty (EXP) is is continually being diluted, disrespected, and cheapened? Have you tried using one of your higher threshold/ fewer SWU's this year?

Question #2-Why should I ... be subject to, on most TATL and TPAC, to a mixed bag in flight crew of mostly ... ELDERLY burnouts, union protected burnouts and slugs, other burnouts, industrial strength attitudish, and people who just refuse to do their JOB, over and over, and over again (PDB anybody?)!, and then treat you like s...tuff (TPAC F FA refused turn down, saying it was "beneath" her). There is that occaisional superstar, but they will eventually be beaten down by the mediocrity. Other airlines, its like they are happy to welcome you.

Question #3-Why would I should I show loyalty to an airline/AIRLINE MANAGEMENT team that worships only their bottom line and shows me NO loyalty back?

Financial sales for 40+ years-Mr. Parker, I am revenue, and you are expense. Your model is flawed. Recognize this and Dare to be original

My hope is a visionary, AA, DL, UA ? recognizes BIS as well as $, but not holding my breath. That would require original, PAX based thinking, unheard of in the 21st century..

I will now vote with my $ and my butt. AA ain't going for great. Not even mediocre. Now just a P*** poor LCC with a legacy of an airline that used to be run by REAL airline people, not bean counters and spread sheet MBAs with zero real world human contact.

Maybe, with skilled (new) leadership, they could be one of the WORLDS top 100 airlines, but most likely not in my lifetime....

I am going for popcorn. Y'AAll can get your own.

FYI- 2018 Dallas49er AA Farewell tour-Tshirts available in the lobby
(8/29) DFW-BOS-PEK-BOS-DFW) In F/J
(9/26) DFW-BKK-CDG-DFW) In F
{11/10) DFW-SAN in F
(12/6) DFW-SDQ in F
(12/19) DFW-CDG In J

Last edited by Dallas49er; Aug 15, 2018 at 7:21 am Reason: Edited for rules compliance
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:00 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I can appreciate the sentiment. In my recent experience, especially if you're doing runs to Europe, AA is actually a better in-flight product than even many EU carriers. I like it better than Club World. Better than AF J (A380, at least). Better than KL, AY, IB, LH. So being free agent certainly has its upside, as it allows you to shop the best product and price, you might still find at least on the product point that AA is still the winner there. Rarely is it the winner on price.

An aside, but booking Air+Hotel packages on Expedia, Orbitz or even directly through the airline can often result in significant cost savings, especially if you choose to travel in J. It's not always a consistent alliance or carrier, so it's great for a free agent. I bagged a $1950 air and hotel special to Mumbai from LAX next year (work-related) on Virgin Upper Class, booked via Marriott Vacations. Several nights at the JW Marriott Mumbai included. Something to consider for your bucket list exploration! Congrats on a life well-lived and hope your free agent years are many and memorable.
Gerbs, apeortdz and Beltway2A like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dll
I can appreciate the sentiment. In my recent experience, especially if you're doing runs to Europe, AA is actually a better in-flight product than even many EU carriers. I like it better than Club World. Better than AF J (A380, at least). Better than KL, AY, IB, LH. So being free agent certainly has its upside, as it allows you to shop the best product and price, you might still find at least on the product point that AA is still the winner there. Rarely is it the winner on price.

An aside, but booking Air+Hotel packages on Expedia, Orbitz or even directly through the airline can often result in significant cost savings, especially if you choose to travel in J. It's not always a consistent alliance or carrier, so it's great for a free agent. I bagged a $1950 air and hotel special to Mumbai from LAX next year (work-related) on Virgin Upper Class, booked via Marriott Vacations. Several nights at the JW Marriott Mumbai included. Something to consider for your bucket list exploration! Congrats on a life well-lived and hope your free agent years are many and memorable.
Thank you for that kind thought.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I understand and agree completely. My 10 year run as EXP is also ending in February.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
In your case, go for it! You have done well in life and sounds like you can just buy your benefits anywhere anyways. I agree that a status with AA just isn't worth much and those of us that are stuck with AA for whatever reason, we need guys like you to vote with your wallet and hope that AA at some point learns to be more competitive. I don't think any US airline is necessarily any better, but you can at least go for convenient routing/timing as a free agent. Many international airlines on the other hand DO have very nice products, so as an international traveler, you should definitely enjoy those options freely.

I am trapped -- not using my eagle connection adds 2 hours of driving/extra lines and ~20$ a day for parking to my travel (and these extra hours would usually be in the middle of the night either to catch an early departure or after a late arrival), and, I am still relatively young with a young kid and mortgage, so I do enjoy a free trip somewhere every once in a while and the few hundred dollars of very minor benefits matter so I need to pile points somewhere specific to make that happen. Sounds like you are neither trapped nor young; live life freely.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkOK
In your case, go for it! You have done well in life and sounds like you can just buy your benefits anywhere anyways.
Sounds like you are neither trapped nor young; live life freely.
According to MrsDallas49er, 66 on the outside, 12 on the inside.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Warning: YMMV

DisAAdvantage changes have finally freed me, and driven me, and MrsDallas49er, to go free agent in 2019.

Now semi-retired, where most travel is international (while I still can). We have an apartment in Paris, a bucket list a mile long and 50 yards wide, and (fortunately) we both worked hard enough to afford. MrsDallas49er also EXP since 2009

Question #1-Why should I chase "status", when if one is not CK, you ain't s***, and one's lower tier loyalty (EXP) is is continually being diluted, disrespected, and cheapened?

Question #2-Why should I ... be subject to, on most TATL and TPAC, to a mixed bag in flight crew of... burnouts, industrial strength attitude, and people who just refuse to do their JOB, over and over, and over again (PDB anybody?)!, and treat you like s...tuff (TPAC F FA refused turn down, saying it was "beneath" her). There is that occaisional superstar, but they will eventually be beaten down by the mediocrity. Other airlines, its like they are happy to welcome you.

Question #3-Why would I should I show loyalty to an airline/AIRLINE MANAGEMENT team that worships only their bottom line and shows me NO loyalty back?

Financial sales for 40+ years-Mr. Parker, I am revenue, and you are expense. Your model is flawed. Recognize this and Dare to be original

My hope is a visionary, AA, DL, UA ? recognizes BIS as well as $, but not holding my breath. That would require original, PAX based thinking.

I will now vote with my $ and my butt. AA ain't going for great. Maybe, with skilled (new) leadership, they could be one of the WORLDS top 75 airlines.

(12/19) DFW-CDG In J
My wife and I will soon be in your position, and I've contemplated whether it makes sense to stick with AA to conquer our own bucket list. We will be flying J (combo of paid/awards using "free agent" CC), so access to clubs is pretty much assured subject to the airline and departing airport. We've tested airfare pricing, and in too many instances AA is wide. However, some of the alternatives to go across the pond aren't that desirable (no lie flats, undesirable location for change) so its a decision of price versus quality. I perfectly understand that AA is in it for a profit, and they too have to balance the cost of goodies offered to elites against the incremental revenue benefit. And I have to understand that AA management understands that passengers do in fact vote with their wallet using the inverse analysis of the benefit of additional goodies versus the incremental additional cost.

Good luck in your retirement quests, and we're right behind you !
Dallas49er and apeortdz like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
A friend of mine is famous for saying about the airlines that the "Brick does not love you back!" Go where your dreams take you and if that is away from AA because they are not consistent with your dreams then as they say, "Traffic is traffic. Go where life leads."

Safe Travels
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by george 3
My wife and I will soon be in your position, and I've contemplated whether it makes sense to stick with AA to conquer our own bucket list. We will be flying J (combo of paid/awards using "free agent" CC), so access to clubs is pretty much assured subject to the airline and departing airport. We've tested airfare pricing, and in too many instances AA is wide. However, some of the alternatives to go across the pond aren't that desirable (no lie flats, undesirable location for change) so its a decision of price versus quality. I perfectly understand that AA is in it for a profit, and they too have to balance the cost of goodies offered to elites against the incremental revenue benefit. And I have to understand that AA management understands that passengers do in fact vote with their wallet using the inverse analysis of the benefit of additional goodies versus the incremental additional cost.

Good luck in your retirement quests, and we're right behind you !
Bon chance!
george 3 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
For Question #3 . Is it really loyalty on the part of either party?
Frequent flyers are in it for the benefits it brings. That is NOT loyalty As you have indicated you don't want to be EXP anymore because the level of benefits has been reduced.
That isn't really loyalty on your part, now is it?
The goal for the airlines, as a corporation, is the bottom line. It is called fiduciary responsibility.
The airline doesn't exist to benefit mankind. It exists to benefit its shareholders.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
We all know that the AA product is sliding downward, and yes it seems to get worst every year, for me. its all about collecting miles that allows my wife and myself to travel to places that we would not otherwise go.
Granted, award space is very hard to find, especially for 2 and of course we only will book in J or F.
That said, I respect your choice, and maybe after my travels to India dry up and have no business there, I might be in the same state,
but for now, I will stick with AA .
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
We all know that the AA product is sliding downward, and yes it seems to get worst every year, for me. its all about collecting miles that allows my wife and myself to travel to places that we would not otherwise go.
Granted, award space is very hard to find, especially for 2 and of course we only will book in J or F.
That said, I respect your choice, and maybe after my travels to India dry up and have no business there, I might be in the same state,
but for now, I will stick with AA .
I respect that, and you. Safe travels.
fotographer likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by fotographer
We all know that the AA product is sliding downward...
Everyone has a different angle on this.

If you ask American, the AA product no longer slides downward now that that old school NGBC seats are no longer flying TATL.
no1cub17 and fotographer like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Big question is are you willing to skip the DFW-CDG direct to connect on some other airline? Methinks you'll be on AA a lot more than you think once you've taken a couple of painful connections.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Dallas49er

(12/19) DFW-CDG In J
Well sir, you certainly are going out with a bang on your farewell tour!

Oddly enough, I don't see any 7M8s in those segments. That would really help reinforce your decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.