Wiki Posts
Search

Elite status: a pointless goal?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by drsh99
(and I avoid the carriers that have fake premium, like Delta's transatlantic)...
As Yoda told Luke Skywalker to use the force, Use the chart. Delta.com clearly identifies Basic Economy, Main Cabin, Comfort+, Premium Select (that's what you'd be looking for), First, and Delta One. The cabin categories are all hyperlinks that lead to product descriptions. Yes, Delta has started Premium Select on some routes USA-Europe as well as USA-Asia.

I don't disagree with a course of action that evaluates the service attributes most valuable to you and finds the cheapest way to get them. But, among other things, elite status also shapes redeemable miles earning.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:57 am

There's no way that elite status is pointless. Assuming you fly American with any sort of frequency, there almost certainly has to be a benefit or two which add value to your personal situation (MCE seating, free bags, help w/ irrops, lounge access for international trips, some upgrades, etc.)

Sounds like your issue is that the cost to get status (in terms of cash + time) is outweighing the benefits you care about.

In that case, the advice you've received is sound. Don't chase status and fly who/what/where makes sense for you.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
It’s not the same game it was 10 years ago and much less rewarding. But I still channel my travel to AA/OW and don’t regret it.
GTITAN and 1111 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:27 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I do only leisure travel, jfk-las and jfk-zrh. I'm EXP until 2/20 and should get to 150K EQM shortly. I would stick with AA if they didn't remove the jfk-zrh non-stops (connecting in LHR, PHL is a PITA). I'm considering doing a DL challenge (DL still has n/s between JFK and ZRH^).
I have 4 SWUs and should get 2 more at 150K...I can only use these on AA metal, but that means connecting to get to ZRH...so I still will have to fly on AA for 3 rts to use them up--a vicious circle.
[My trips to ZRH were part of an AA Vacation package, their Europe promo gave me 20,000 RDM per trip (in addition to the miles for flying)...the only plus for staying with AA.]
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Many people feel the same way you do. I don't but to each his/her own.I was Delta GM for a few years back in the early 2000's. I realized I hated flying through CVG or ATL to get anywhere. I was Delta GM for a few years back in the early 2000's. I realized I hated flying through CVG or ATL to get anywhere.

I live in a fortress city (PHL). My reason for status:

-I prefer the flexibility and options of flights I have.
- I like shorter priority check in lines (go to SFO and see the check in line for the early flight, not pretty).
- I like being able to choose where I sit in economy.
- I like having my miles pooled into one account so that I can use them to up-J.
- I like boarding before the mostly non-seasoned travelers. I prefer to watch the insanity as opposed to being stuck behind it.
- I like that I only have to try to understand one airline's arcane policies instead of all of them.
- My Citi Executive pays for Global Entry and AC for me and my family, regardless if we are traveling together or not.
- I like the little orange tag on my luggage, even though it means nothing to the ground grew.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United, Iberia, US Airways
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Africa probably makes oneworld a harder sell, but not if it's on the BA route map or close to it, perhaps oneworld can still be a good option (it's a great option for LAX-LHR-JNB, I'd imagine, but not for getting some place like Goma). I'd have to think that whatever alliance best fits your Africa trips in terms of scheduling, good seats, etc. -- that's the alliance to shoot for top-tier status on (and 5 Africa RTs a year are pretty much guaranteed to get you the $12k and 100,000 qualifying miles if you're buying PE). Buy those without regard to airline perks, buy the tickets you want to buy. But think about buying them all on the same alliance so that you can get top-tier with one of AA, UA, or DL -- and the benefits you'll get on the 3-5 trips domestically, even if it's just confirmed extra-legroom seats at booking, the ability to do same-day changes, and a shot at an upgrade -- will probably be worth the slight time and money invested. If not, then not. But worth spending a few hours thinking about to optimize your travel happiness for a year or two.
Yes, when most of my work was on the BA routes 5+ years ago, making plat AA each year brought some nice benefits of miles for family travel and frequent upgrades to business for domestic travel. Since I"m lifetime gold, I still get the free bags and occasional upgrades on low-volume domestic routes. I hadn't noticed some of the other benefits listed by the knowledgeable folks responding in this thread (many thanks!). I'll probably make midlevel Delta elite this year since AF flies most of my current routes. I'll have to do my research to learn how to make the most of that. I sincerely don't want to fly so much that I make the top tiers...
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Now that I've retired and do consulting work, making my EXP is more of a game to me than a necessity. I can usually do it for around 6k in travel by using BA, CX and JL in PE. My wife will only travel J, so the SWU's are nice but could probably purchase J, too. Figure the SWU's gain us about 10K in travel benefit per year....my OP- ups on BA are at 75-100% as top tier (never on JL or CX!) so that is a nice perk! My upgrades as an EXP are almost 100%, so that is nice for my 3-4 trips.month. I guess I just like planes and traveling...I know....I'm a geek!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Everyone is different. I've never been a road warrior; when I was working I made silver maybe 25% of the time, but that was also before they charged for everything but Splenda for your coffee. Since retiring I decided that travel will be the luxury I allow myself, and I'm also in a fortress hub (PHL). Everything gets degraded, so that "Platinum is the new Gold" but it's not like any particular airline is overall better or worse than any other. I'm aiming for Plat Pro because I mostly fly elite-lite routes (red-eyes back from LAS anyone?) and hate sitting in coach, as well as SDC so I know when I have to get to the airport and can check my bag rather than sweating out standby. I have the Silver Aviator card so I can get 6K EQD's which makes the EQD requirement irrelevant for me. I know people who can plop down in a coach seat and go to sleep, and I envy them but I can't do that.

There are a huge number of moving parts to status, how it's acquired and the benefits for different travel patterns. I'm sure I pay a few bucks extra by never checking any other airline, but overall it's worth it to me since AA usually had equal or better schedules to anywhere I go.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Any airline can get you from Point A to Point B safely.

There are 1001 details that differ from airline to airline, from the cushiness of the seats to the design of crew uniforms to the length of check-in lines, Some of those details are meaningless to you. Some are make-or-break. You need to assess your own individual situation and decide what is the most important, then choose flights that meet your own criteria.

If price and schedule are most important to you, then go with price and schedule.
Gerbs and jcatman like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by drsh99
Working in global development, I've traveled economy to developing countries for decades (mostly Africa).
My first thought was, "Grin and bear it." If your employer sends you that far in steerage or steerage+, and you accept this, then you must have a fantastically fulfilling job.

If I were in your shoes, I'd quit.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by boss315
My wife will only travel J,
When we first got married, I tried to explain to Mrs EnPremiere that I only travel in J as well but that requirement wasn't received as well as anticipated, and is probably less so these days with tiny frequent fliers in tow.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
A sizable number of companies require you to fly in Y or at least have lenghty time limites (my company is 10 hours flght time, connections not included). Its not always easy to just walk away from a job particulalry as you get older. Better a good full time paycheck flying in Y than unemployed and unable to fly at all. If one only cares about price then yes elite status has little meaning. Believe it or not there are many FFs that think that way.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by enpremiere
When we first got married, I tried to explain to Mrs EnPremiere that I only travel in J as well but that requirement wasn't received as well as anticipated, and is probably less so these days with tiny frequent fliers in tow.
I tried to be conservative and told a friend I travel in PEY for some LH, and the immediate response was "you are rich and wasting money!" (Didn't even bring up purchased J).

"Yeah, I don't dine in fancy restaurants every weekend for $200+ each, or "uber" dinners every night"
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:41 am
Suspended

It's not what it gets you. It's what it helps you avoid.
flyerbobflyer and Shrpchef like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I tried to be conservative and told a friend I travel in PEY for some LH, and the immediate response was "you are rich and wasting money!" (Didn't even bring up purchased J).

"Yeah, I don't dine in fancy restaurants every weekend for $200+ each, or "uber" dinners every night"
I take a similar approach as well by reminding Mrs. EnPremiere of my frugality with all of the $ saved on the toasted avocado in the club. She just rolls her eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.