2 pax on same pnr

Old Aug 13, 18, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM
2 pax on same pnr

Can I book a flight for pax1 using $, and same flight for pax2 using miles (either from pax1 account, or pax2 account) and have these two on the same PNR? I'm sure this has been answered before, but don't know how to search for this... Thanks
Old Aug 13, 18, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by eliteone View Post
Can I book a flight for pax1 using $, and same flight for pax2 using miles (either from pax1 account, or pax2 account) and have these two on the same PNR? I'm sure this has been answered before, but don't know how to search for this... Thanks
Nope...
Old Aug 13, 18, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United Silver
Nope but you can do both using money on the same PNR
Old Aug 14, 18, 2:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ooops misread query

No - you cannot have a cash booking and a redemption booking on the same booking reference
Old Aug 14, 18, 5:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
If you are concerned about having travelers on same PNR, only way is to separate travel into 2 one way, outbound ticket one, and return ticket two. Then pay for both; tickets one with cash, ticket two with miles, or vice versa. You'll have 2 PNR's but both travelers will be together on same PNR each way. Provided cost and miles used are same as in roundtrip case, should not be a problem.
Old Aug 14, 18, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A better question is what you are trying to accomplish. While you cannot book award and cash tickets into the same PNR, it may be possible to accomplish what you want through other means. So, the better question is, what do you want?
Old Aug 14, 18, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by arollins View Post
. Provided cost and miles used are same as in roundtrip case, should not be a problem.

There is a good chance that the cash cost for 2 x one ways will be higher than the cost of a roundtrip ticket
Old Aug 14, 18, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
There is a good chance that the cash cost for 2 x one ways will be higher than the cost of a roundtrip ticket
On a domestic US flight, it will very likely be equivalent.
On an international flight, it will very likely be much more expensive to buy the two one-ways.
Old Aug 15, 18, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM
trying to keep pax together & with status benefits of paid tix

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
A better question is what you are trying to accomplish. While you cannot book award and cash tickets into the same PNR, it may be possible to accomplish what you want through other means. So, the better question is, what do you want?
Thanks, I'm concerned that in case of IRROPS, only one pax (likely the paid one) would be protected. Or, perhaps the flight was "oversold" and they kick one pax to a lower class of service (likely the award tix). What is the best way to mitigate this risk?
Old Aug 15, 18, 11:58 am

Thanks, I'm concerned that in case of IRROPS, only one pax (likely the paid one) would be protected. Or, perhaps the flight was "oversold" and they kick one pax to a lower class of service (likely the award tix). What is the best way to mitigate this risk?
It's easy. For irrops or any other situation, tell whoever you're working with (phone agent, gate agent, etc.) that you're traveling with a companion on another PNR and you will not accept any rebooking unless the both of you can be accommodated on the same flight. If you happen to get auto rebooked onto different flights, then just call AA or speak with someone at the airport and they will fix it. That's really all there is to it.
eliteone likes this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arollins View Post
If you are concerned about having travelers on same PNR, only way is to separate travel into 2 one way, outbound ticket one, and return ticket two. Then pay for both; tickets one with cash, ticket two with miles, or vice versa. You'll have 2 PNR's but both travelers will be together on same PNR each way. Provided cost and miles used are same as in roundtrip case, should not be a problem.
Ooh. I like this! I'm about to book a DSM-ORD R/T with my 4-year old granddaughter (a quick overnight at the Hilton ORD - plenty to see and do in the airport and vicinity that will fascinate a curious 4-year old) and was thinking of using miles for her. Naturally I want our PNRs linked, at least! Your solution (provided 2*OW isn't a lot more than RT) would work better and allow me to try and get both of us upgraded with 500-mile certs on the leg with paid fare.

ETA: Oops. Looks like mostly ERJs. Upgrades worthless. May still do it this way though.

Last edited by Athena53; Aug 15, 18 at 5:25 pm
Old Aug 16, 18, 1:41 am

What if one person was EXP or PLT and the other had no status? Would the no status pax be able to use the otherís benefits if traveling on separate PNRís - checked baggage allowance, boarding privileges, etc?
Old Aug 16, 18, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by carryononly View Post
What if one person was EXP or PLT and the other had no status? Would the no status pax be able to use the otherís benefits if traveling on separate PNRís - checked baggage allowance, boarding privileges, etc?
Baggage is YMMV depending on the agent, but everything else yes. A simple "he/she is with me" at priority check-in, priority security, priority boarding, etc. works 99% of the time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: