Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Eagle by Compas SEA - LAX - why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Eagle by Compas SEA - LAX - why?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
E175 is probably the best narrowbody in the sky. Enjoy it.
E175 is probably without a doubt the best narrowbody in the domestic sky other than the A321T.

After getting spoiled in 1A on these suckers, it's really hard to go back to mainline (or PSA regional) flights.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
What is DL flying on this route nowadays? I flew DL on this route a few years ago and it, too, was on an E175 operated by Compass (which I quite enjoyed, especially with the hot soup that DL offered on this aircraft/route).
Delta has been upgauging some SEA and LAX flights as they approach practical limits on frequency at both airports. That route today is all 738/739 - it's a summer Monday.

OP shouldn't expect a hot meal on Delta for a flight of that length. Flights less that 1400 miles generally get a cold plated meal.

I'm happy with E75s. OP's comment about pilot experience is fair - the lure of mainline flying is strong for those who qualify and are chosen. But space and meal comments are off the mark.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Among other things, it's worth noting that the e175 is designed to carry 76 passengers but is configured by American to only carry 70 because of the contract with its main line Pilots. That means, the plane has two less rows and very good legroom.

of course... The CR7 experience is very different even though it is a plane with the same capacity.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than debating the relative merits of the aircraft, the practical answer here is:

1. If OP booked an AA mainline ticket and the operating carrier has been changed, DOT rules require AA to refund the ticket at the passenger's option, allowing him to purchase whatever else he wants.
2. If OP booked this service as it is being performed, one should note that DOT rules specifically require that when the flight is not operated by the marketing carrier, that must be prominently disclosed. AA does so on its booking screen in language and size which can't be missed. But, may be ignored. In addition, the type of aircraft scheduled is also disclosed.

As to the why, the answer is simply that it makes economic sense for AA. It does not have unlimited aircraft and perhaps has found a route with better PRASM for the larger aircraft. Another way to put the question is, to ask what service OP would recommend cancelling somewhere in the AA route system so that the particular service in question may be performed by a mainline aircraft.
jhartvu likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by formeraa
AA was a recent entry into the already crowded SEA-LAX market. They don't have the loyal customer base that AS or DL have. Therefore, they use smaller planes. I'm old enough to remember flying on DC-9-10's -- the E175's are about the same size and seat width.
Well, DL is a relatively recent entrant too, starting this route in 2012 or 2013 with a single E175 going back and forth three times a day (as the first domestic addition in what ultimately became the SEA hub buildup). But now it’s a full-fledged hub-to-hub route for DL, so they need more capacity, which means flying less-comfortable 737s vs AA’s E175s.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Buzzz
I fell into the old trap and now find myself on a commuter carrier after booking on the AA website. It begs the question: Why would AA farm out a 3-hour flight between two major west coast cities to Compass? This is hardly a commuter flight. Had I been flying to Boise or Portland, I might have been more alert. But Seattle to Los Angeles on Embraer metal?

Coulda flown Delta....
Could have flown UA with a CR7 on that route

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Among other things, it's worth noting that the e175 is designed to carry 76 passengers but is configured by American to only carry 70 because of the contract with its main line Pilots. That means, the plane has two less rows and very good legroom.

of course... The CR7 experience is very different even though it is a plane with the same capacity.
not quite...all of CP's and MQ's 175s are configured with 76 seats and booked to 76 seats. There are some Republic 80 seat 175s floating around but those I think are being reconfigured for 76 seats. So far IIRC only Mesa has ordered 70 seat E-175s configured with 70 seats, and I suspect those will be replacing UA CR7s out of IAD.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:36 am

I think the E175 is designed to carry more like 80 or 84 passengers in a configuration with typical mainline legroom and F:Y ratio. Most E175s in the US are limited to 76 seats by mainline pilot contracts (some of AA's to 70 but some to 80, as you and @colpuck noted), hence the relatively high number of F seats and the very comfortable configuration. Much of the comfort of the E175 is due to the cabin height (large enough for a tall person to stand upright in the aisle) and the 2x2 seating with mainline-width seats (which are of course the same regardless of configuration), but the slightly higher pitch (or more F/MCE seats) to accommodate only 76 seats helps.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:18 am

I have no idea why AA continues to fly the E175 SEA-LAX, but I also avoid it constantly. It's not that it's a bad aircraft, but it's the hassle of dealing with the remote terminal. I've only had the misfortune of landing there a few times, and every single time I remember why I avoid it like the plague. Luckily for the most part I can just fly AS between SEA-LAX instead of dealing with that place.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
OP shouldn't expect a hot meal on Delta for a flight of that length. Flights less that 1400 miles generally get a cold plated meal.
Definitely not true by policy or in practice, at least at dinnertime.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Actually I quite like the E175 on the LAX/SEA route. I'm particularly fond of the single seat side in first class and almost always sit in 1A or 2A. Also, I find the bus ride from the Eagles' nest to T4 fascinating. You get to ride on the airport tarmac surrounded by passenger aircraft of all types. For an airplane geek like me, it's pretty much heaven!
jhartvu and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

AA.com lists E175s as 76-seat and 80-seat versions.

As others have alluded, AA doesn't see much demand on the route (unlike Alaska, king of SEA; unlike Delta, who sees this as a hub-to-hub route). It uses smaller planes to be able to offer decent frequency (better than UA but still far fewer than AS or DL).

If the OP thinks this is too small a plane for the distance he needs to be wary of 1400+ mile routes that are flown by E75s in the U.S. SEA-LAX is only 954 statute miles.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'd pay extra to fly the E175 over any narrow body plane in the fleet other than the A321T. And while the Eagle's Nest isn't the best experience, I don't find it that bad.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Not sure if the Compass E75s are configured the same way, but when I flew SYR-DCA on an AA E75 not too long ago, I took the port side aisle seat in the first row of Coach, and had more leg room than any passenger in First. (The bulkhead does not extend to the aisle seats in that row.)

And since it's a Main Cabin Extra seat, alcohol is free, but no meal service.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
The -only- problem to me with Eagle flights is the potential for delays and cancellations on later afternoon and evening flights (most of these planes have a dozen or more legs in a day with very little turnaround time built in). I only noticed something 'odd' about a pilot's performance once (A flight that went off the normal route on a clear evening, had very odd sharp turns both at depature and arrival, and who piloted a very hard landing)

Otherwise, I think they the Eagle flights are roomy enough (even the old ERJ140 I have on my local route), are quick to unload/load, there are no middle seats!, and the FAs on Eagle flights are more often great (in my opinion) compared to mainline coach FAs. Also, the really nice thing is that there is only 30-70 other people on the jet to do something of special annoyance to everyone else (crying babies, yappy pets, DYKWIA fusses, etc), Even on a packed RJ, I find that the cabin to be much quieter and more peaceful, to the point, I only notice it is a packed plane when I actively look around.

Now, I do use DFW for my hub and most RJ flights, and DFW Term B is just as pleasant and convenient as any other there (though, I am unsure how I feel about the future use of the Term E satellite terminal). And, I don't carry on roller bags so the gate check on the small RJs means nothing for me other than I always have plenty of space for my laptop up above, which is very nice and lets my feet have plenty of space).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Not sure if the Compass E75s are configured the same way, but when I flew SYR-DCA on an AA E75 not too long ago, I took the port side aisle seat in the first row of Coach, and had more leg room than any passenger in First. (The bulkhead does not extend to the aisle seats in that row.)
Pretty sure that all 2-class E75s (or really all planes in which the aisle[s] is not in the same place in different cabins) are configured that way to accomodate the necessary zig (or is it a zag? ) in the aisle while maintaining accessibility and perhaps the ability to move a food cart down the aisle. It's probably more extreme on the E75 than DC-9 derivatives because the aisle in the 1x2 F section is more off-center than the aisle in the 2x3 Y section of DC-9 derivatives, so the zig is bigger.

The aisle seat on the 3-seat side of a DC-9 derivative likewise has infinite legroom (though it comes with the increased probability of getting bumped by passing passengers or carts).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.