Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will award tickets earn EQMs? (Generally no.)

Will award tickets earn EQMs? (Generally no.)

Reply

Old Aug 10, 18, 2:21 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: PHX
Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Gold
Posts: 13
Will award tickets earn EQMs? (Generally no.)

Hi everyone,

If this was previously answered in previous threads my apologies.

I have a reservation on hold with AA for 3 award tickets from Phx to BKK for me and family. Two PPro reps gave me different answers on earning EQMs for non revenue tickets. Once said you'll ONLY earn EQMs since its non-rev ticket and the other said you will NOT earn any EQDs, EQMs, RDMs.

Love to hear what everyone has experienced in the past with award tickets?

Itineary (All "T" booking code)

PHX-LAX
LAX-NRT (JL operated)
NRT-BKK (JL operated)

BKK-NRT (JL operated)
NRT-SAN (JL operated)
SAN-PHX
A651346 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Land of 10,000 Upgrades
Posts: 9,413
Of course not.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Earn miles

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on American and American Eagle flights and codeshare flights operated by other airlines:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
UpgradeMe is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:27 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,268
No. Award tickets earn no miles, EQDs, or EQMs.
777lover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:35 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: PHX
Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Gold
Posts: 13
Makes perfect sense that award tickets shouldn't earn anything. Thank you!
A651346 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:48 pm
  #5  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 58,690
Originally Posted by A651346 View Post
Hi everyone,

If this was previously answered in previous threads my apologies.

I have a reservation on hold with AA for 3 award tickets from Phx to BKK for me and family. Two PPro reps gave me different answers on earning EQMs for non revenue tickets. Once said you'll ONLY earn EQMs since its non-rev ticket and the other said you will NOT earn any EQDs, EQMs, RDMs.

Love to hear what everyone has experienced in the past with award tickets?

Itineary (All "T" booking code)

PHX-LAX
LAX-NRT (JL operated)

NRT-BKK (JL operated)

BKK-NRT (JL operated)
NRT-SAN (JL operated)
SAN-PHX
Certainly not. As they’re not revenue tickets, you’ll earn nothing. Enjoy the fact that you were able to acquire some nice award tickets.

There’s always an off chance IROPS will throw a passenger into a revenue fare bucket in error, but it’s akso possible those miles would be pulled back by AA.

Btw, there are no “PPro reps”. Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro members get prioritized lines, answered by the same folks that answer the calls of non-status passengers.

Enjoy your travels!
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:53 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 50
The appropriate answer is no. However, it has happened.

Last edited by rumboj; Aug 11, 18 at 1:55 am
rumboj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 3:22 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: BOS, TPE
Programs: AA
Posts: 38
I had award tickets last fall booked on the AA web site: JFK-LHR in first on AA
LHR-DUB in eurofraud bus. on BA
DUB-LHR in eurofraud bus. on BA
LHR-BOS in first on BA
I earned EQD, EQM, and RDM on all the BA flights.
TaiwanIndependence is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 3:29 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: BOS, TPE
Programs: AA
Posts: 38
Forgot to mention EQDs were based on miles flown. Have always respected and enjoyed JDivers input on these forums and would love his input on this as I am planning another European trip and getting EQDs takes the sting off the BA fees.
rumboj likes this.
TaiwanIndependence is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 4:30 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Land of 10,000 Upgrades
Posts: 9,413
<redacted>

There is no logic. If you call AA and report the discrepancy, AA will be happy to clawback the miles.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 11, 18 at 4:52 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
UpgradeMe is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 4:58 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Irving, TX
Programs: AA EXP, National Executive Elite, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,932
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe View Post
There is no logic. If you call AA and report the discrepancy, AA will be happy to clawback the miles.
Agreed. This happened to me a few years ago when I accrued miles on an award flight. I immediately called them and had them removed. AA was happy to have me call. Why did I? I didn't want to be in the middle of an award flight sometime down the road only to have AA audit my account and take out miles that were never mine to be begin with. What if this happened when I was on vacation using an award ticket. Suddenly miles that were never entitled to me were yanked and now I don't have enough miles to satisfy the saver J flight I'm taking home. Obviously an example but nonetheless something that could be of a concern.
GTITAN likes this.
enviroian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:03 pm
  #11  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP; HH Life <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 58,690
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Agreed. This happened to me a few years ago when I accrued miles on an award flight. I immediately called them and had them removed. AA was happy to have me call. Why did I? I didn't want to be in the middle of an award flight sometime down the road only to have AA audit my account and take out miles that were never mine to be begin with. What if this happened when I was on vacation using an award ticket. Suddenly miles that were never entitled to me were yanked and now I don't have enough miles to satisfy the saver J flight I'm taking home. Obviously an example but nonetheless something that could be of a concern.
That does t sound very plausible to me, though clawing back miles does sound plausible. (We also know from previous evidence AA reads here.)
JDiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:51 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Raleigh
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 42
While I completely understand the logic of why an award ticket should not earn award miles or EQD, I’ve often wondered why it would not accrue EQM. You can’t redeem EQM, and you’re flying BIS miles, so counting towards elite status requalification seems plausible.

It’s not unprecedented in other travel industries; for example, you earn qualifying nights with Hilton for points stays.
razzaba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:53 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: HOU
Programs: AA EXP | SPG Plat | Marriott Plat
Posts: 3,401
<redacted> (Why EQM earned on award flight?)

something happened, maybe a change was made at the airport that resulted in a specific segment being coded as a revenue fare bucket vs miles.

It is not intentional and is a mistake in your favor.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 11, 18 at 4:53 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Antarius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:57 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: CoUniHound 1K, AA EXP 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat. SPG Plat
Posts: 957
AA awards EQMs for BA mileage tickets out of shame for collecting the outrageous surcharges charged by BA.
Catbert10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 18, 7:27 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,218
Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
AA awards EQMs for BA mileage tickets out of shame for collecting the outrageous surcharges charged by BA.
Well, a BA award ticket should be considered a ticket bought with cash, and so earning miles is entirely appropriate.
SeeBuyFly is online now  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread