FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Will award tickets earn EQMs? (Generally no.) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1924543-will-award-tickets-earn-eqms-generally-no.html)

A651346 Aug 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Will award tickets earn EQMs? (Generally no.)

Hi everyone,

If this was previously answered in previous threads my apologies.

I have a reservation on hold with AA for 3 award tickets from Phx to BKK for me and family. Two PPro reps gave me different answers on earning EQMs for non revenue tickets. Once said you'll ONLY earn EQMs since its non-rev ticket and the other said you will NOT earn any EQDs, EQMs, RDMs.

Love to hear what everyone has experienced in the past with award tickets?

Itineary (All "T" booking code)

PHX-LAX
LAX-NRT (JL operated)
NRT-BKK (JL operated)

BKK-NRT (JL operated)
NRT-SAN (JL operated)
SAN-PHX

UpgradeMe Aug 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Of course not.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Earn miles

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on American and American Eagle flights and codeshare flights operated by other airlines:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code

777lover Aug 10, 2018 2:27 pm

No. Award tickets earn no miles, EQDs, or EQMs.

A651346 Aug 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Makes perfect sense that award tickets shouldn't earn anything. Thank you!

JDiver Aug 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by A651346 (Post 30069283)
Hi everyone,

If this was previously answered in previous threads my apologies.

I have a reservation on hold with AA for 3 award tickets from Phx to BKK for me and family. Two PPro reps gave me different answers on earning EQMs for non revenue tickets. Once said you'll ONLY earn EQMs since its non-rev ticket and the other said you will NOT earn any EQDs, EQMs, RDMs.

Love to hear what everyone has experienced in the past with award tickets?

Itineary (All "T" booking code)

PHX-LAX
LAX-NRT (JL operated)

NRT-BKK (JL operated)

BKK-NRT (JL operated)
NRT-SAN (JL operated)
SAN-PHX

Certainly not. As they’re not revenue tickets, you’ll earn nothing. Enjoy the fact that you were able to acquire some nice award tickets.

There’s always an off chance IROPS will throw a passenger into a revenue fare bucket in error, but it’s akso possible those miles would be pulled back by AA.

Btw, there are no “PPro reps”. Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro members get prioritized lines, answered by the same folks that answer the calls of non-status passengers.

Enjoy your travels!

rumboj Aug 10, 2018 2:53 pm

The appropriate answer is no. However, it has happened.

TaiwanIndependence Aug 10, 2018 3:22 pm

I had award tickets last fall booked on the AA web site: JFK-LHR in first on AA
LHR-DUB in eurofraud bus. on BA
DUB-LHR in eurofraud bus. on BA
LHR-BOS in first on BA
I earned EQD, EQM, and RDM on all the BA flights.

TaiwanIndependence Aug 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Forgot to mention EQDs were based on miles flown. Have always respected and enjoyed JDivers input on these forums and would love his input on this as I am planning another European trip and getting EQDs takes the sting off the BA fees.

UpgradeMe Aug 10, 2018 4:30 pm

<redacted>

There is no logic. If you call AA and report the discrepancy, AA will be happy to clawback the miles.

enviroian Aug 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe (Post 30069643)
There is no logic. If you call AA and report the discrepancy, AA will be happy to clawback the miles.

Agreed. This happened to me a few years ago when I accrued miles on an award flight. I immediately called them and had them removed. AA was happy to have me call. Why did I? I didn't want to be in the middle of an award flight sometime down the road only to have AA audit my account and take out miles that were never mine to be begin with. What if this happened when I was on vacation using an award ticket. Suddenly miles that were never entitled to me were yanked and now I don't have enough miles to satisfy the saver J flight I'm taking home. Obviously an example but nonetheless something that could be of a concern.

JDiver Aug 10, 2018 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 30069715)
Agreed. This happened to me a few years ago when I accrued miles on an award flight. I immediately called them and had them removed. AA was happy to have me call. Why did I? I didn't want to be in the middle of an award flight sometime down the road only to have AA audit my account and take out miles that were never mine to be begin with. What if this happened when I was on vacation using an award ticket. Suddenly miles that were never entitled to me were yanked and now I don't have enough miles to satisfy the saver J flight I'm taking home. Obviously an example but nonetheless something that could be of a concern.

That does t sound very plausible to me, though clawing back miles does sound plausible. (We also know from previous evidence AA reads here.)

razzaba Aug 10, 2018 6:51 pm

While I completely understand the logic of why an award ticket should not earn award miles or EQD, I’ve often wondered why it would not accrue EQM. You can’t redeem EQM, and you’re flying BIS miles, so counting towards elite status requalification seems plausible.

It’s not unprecedented in other travel industries; for example, you earn qualifying nights with Hilton for points stays.

Antarius Aug 10, 2018 6:53 pm

<redacted> (Why EQM earned on award flight?)

something happened, maybe a change was made at the airport that resulted in a specific segment being coded as a revenue fare bucket vs miles.

It is not intentional and is a mistake in your favor.

Catbert10 Aug 10, 2018 6:57 pm

AA awards EQMs for BA mileage tickets out of shame for collecting the outrageous surcharges charged by BA. ;)

SeeBuyFly Aug 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10 (Post 30069986)
AA awards EQMs for BA mileage tickets out of shame for collecting the outrageous surcharges charged by BA. ;)

Well, a BA award ticket should be considered a ticket bought with cash, and so earning miles is entirely appropriate.