Wiki Posts
Search

DEN - SFO via LAX or PHX?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
DEN - SFO via LAX or PHX?

Hello all, I am looking to book a flight from DEN-SFO, both of which connect. One is through LAX, one PHX. They are both 1:05hrs and 1:00hrs for their layover. PHX has a better schedule, but I am looking at, on time record considering the small window. I assume PHX would be easier to connect through, or does LAX have more frequencies a misconnect is not the worst thing? Second, PHX accumulates more miles, I'll need just about as many as I can get at this time to keep status, albeit only 60 more, does AA do a minimum of 500 mile type that some airlines do? I checked the website but saw nothing of it.

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
  • Go for PHX and yes AA awards 500 EQMs if you already have elite status,
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
PHX is a pretty shabby airport, but the connections experience is easier on AA than at LAX
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
DEN-LAX and LAX-SFO used to both be Eagle flights and so your connection would be only at the Eagle's nest, but I think DEN-LAX reverted to mainline for at least some flights.

The LAX connection is really easy if they are both Eagle's nest flights, or if they are both mainline - but if they are one of each I would avoid LAX.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Life lesson

Why not just fly UA (or a LCC) to SFO and The Peoples Republic of San Francisco, and and get that done.

And then plan and do a mileage run (MR) that will satisfy ALL of your self imposed metrics*.

OR: One could just throw caution to the wind, live life dangerously, take life as it comes, .... and just pick an itinerary and go!

Good Luck!

* Metrics work on paper ONLY, not in the real world and real life. They conflict with real life with real weather (unpredictable), real mechanicals (unpredictable), real down line issues (late/illegal crew, etc.)... Statistics are nothing more than that-predictors of the PAST.

I have a fine Swiss watch on my wrist which has 374 moving parts and keeps excellent time. The US air transport system has a kazillion squared moving parts, so to expect Swiss watch efficiency is delusional at best.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Aug 10, 2018 at 7:48 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Why not just fly UA (or a LCC) to SFO and and get that done.
That's what I was thinking. I've done plenty of mileage runs over the years but the value of miles and status have declined significantly in the last decade.

United or Frontier to SFO, or Southwest to Oakland. Easy, cheap - DONE.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
United or Frontier to SFO, or Southwest to Oakland.
Southwest also flies DEN-SFO.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I vote for PHX. Not sure what advantage LAX has in this situation. And I would take the Eagle flights over any mainline flight anyday given the option (Not sure some's aversion to the 'small planes' -- they offer quicker boarding, deplaning, and honestly I think there is a little more room in the shoulder-head area if you are next to the window in coach).

And if AA is your only airline you go for status on, I would do the short layover and earn the needed mileage vs flying direct on UA and having to figure a mileage run on AA later. The last thing I want to do (ever) is spend a day and money doing nothing but mileage running; and AA's 'buy up' rates usually offered at the end of the year are rather pricy.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
  • Go for PHX and yes AA awards 500 EQMs if you already have elite status,
(I always got 500 EQMs minimum before I got any elite status. My family members have no elite status and always get credited the 500 EQM minimum. I really don't know why AA describes this as an "Elite member" benefit vs simple an Aadvantage member benefit)

Last edited by MarkOK; Aug 10, 2018 at 7:53 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
Hello all, I am looking to book a flight from DEN-SFO, both of which connect. One is through LAX, one PHX. They are both 1:05hrs and 1:00hrs for their layover. PHX has a better schedule, but I am looking at, on time record considering the small window. I assume PHX would be easier to connect through, or does LAX have more frequencies a misconnect is not the worst thing? Second, PHX accumulates more miles, I'll need just about as many as I can get at this time to keep status, albeit only 60 more, does AA do a minimum of 500 mile type that some airlines do? I checked the website but saw nothing of it.

Thanks
Don't travel much, do you?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I vote PHX. At LAX, you have better chance of the aircraft having to wait long time for a gate after landing which can cause you to misconnect. Plus, LAX-SFO flights tend to be delayed or cancelled when SFO goes into flow control.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
The LAX connection is really easy if they are both Eagle's nest flights, or if they are both mainline - but if they are one of each I would avoid LAX.
I totally forgot LAX-SFO would be out of the eagles nest, and yes DEN-LAX is mainline. So had I remembered, it wouldn't have even been a thought.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkOK
And if AA is your only airline you go for status on, I would do the short layover and earn the needed mileage vs flying direct on UA and having to figure a mileage run on AA later. The last thing I want to do (ever) is spend a day and money doing nothing but mileage running; and AA's 'buy up' rates usually offered at the end of the year are rather pricy.
This is my thought as well, I already have status on another airline, but will be flying AA next year for work again so want to retain it, and another 1-2 hours on a plane when I am already flying will save me time and money down the road. Living in Denver I have avoided UA up until this point, and will continue to do so.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's what I was thinking. I've done plenty of mileage runs over the years but the value of miles and status have declined significantly in the last decade.

United or Frontier to SFO, or Southwest to Oakland. Easy, cheap - DONE.
Welcome to the new and disimproved "DisAAdvantage" program, where if you ain't CK, you ain't ... poo poo. What IVY League MBA thinks that HIGHER status thresholds, combined with fewer and almost useless "benefits" is a good idea? University of Phoenix?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
With UA, F9, WN and AS all flying nonstop on this route... I too am puzzled why one would choose AA.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
With UA, F9, WN and AS all flying nonstop on this route... I too am puzzled why one would choose AA.
AS pulled out of this route in the early part of June. If I hadn't a clue about these routes I would have added that, I made my decision to fly AA and take a detour for an extra hour of flying, not asking for advice or sympathy around this, simply asking LAX or PHX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.