Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Was this an Involuntary change done by AA and is Compensation due?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was this an Involuntary change done by AA and is Compensation due?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
Angry

Originally Posted by Redwood839
You'll find no symphathy here as you can tell from multiple posters. You paid to get someone somewhere and they got there. Mistakes happen, it doesn't mean everyone has to be shelling out money for it.

They took you on a round the world trip? Please, BOM-HKG-DFW is only 1,500 miles more in GC then BOM-AMS-DFW. Hardly a round the world trip.

As I said, if you were concerned about the issues these passengers had, you shouldn't have had them flying halfway across the world.
Just 1500 miles more? Would you like an airline to just add 1500 miles to your scheduled flying distance the next time you travel? You make it sound like it's 150 miles or something. Sheesh...
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:18 am

AA may want to offer the passengers a modest voucher or a handful of miles for their inconvenience. You are entitled to nothing.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by swingaling
I’m curious as to what the actual issue with the ticket was. I recently booked an AA ticket with a segment on 9W and reading about OP’s issues with them is concerning. Even flying J, I haven’t been able to get a seat assigned online for 9W.
I’m not familiar with how Jet’s site works, but a DM to @AmericanAir on Twitter requesting the Jet PNR may give you what you need to pull your itinerary on the Jet site, possibly manage your booking.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’m not familiar with how Jet’s site works, but a DM to @AmericanAir on Twitter requesting the Jet PNR may give you what you need to pull your itinerary on the Jet site, possibly manage your booking.
Luckily, no issues pulling up the booking on Jet's site using my 9W PNR. I was even able to print out a concise 2 page eTicket listing all 11 segments (even though only 1 segment is on 9W). Much more condensed and manageable than the multi-page junk that AA.com spits out.

Upon reading Jet's site more closely, it appears that seat selection is only possible on tickets issued by and flights operated by 9W. Since AA issued my ticket, that would presumably preclude seat selection. Not a huge deal since I'm flying J on a 737 in a 2+2 config. I was able to select a seat when viewing the 9W flight on both QR and UL sites, but I highly doubt the seat assignment will stick.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by swingaling
Luckily, no issues pulling up the booking on Jet's site using my 9W PNR. I was even able to print out a concise 2 page eTicket listing all 11 segments (even though only 1 segment is on 9W). Much more condensed and manageable than the multi-page junk that AA.com spits out.

Upon reading Jet's site more closely, it appears that seat selection is only possible on tickets issued by and flights operated by 9W. Since AA issued my ticket, that would presumably preclude seat selection. Not a huge deal since I'm flying J on a 737 in a 2+2 config. I was able to select a seat when viewing the 9W flight on both QR and UL sites, but I highly doubt the seat assignment will stick.
Yes. You are good. In my case, when entering the Jet Airways PNR# on the Jet site it would show up with an error message stating - There are no segments to display (the words maybe wrong). I tried it with the Eticket# and same issue.

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
AA may want to offer the passengers a modest voucher or a handful of miles for their inconvenience. You are entitled to nothing.
You do realize that these tickets were for my close family. I paid for the tickets. Either they or me getting anything does not matter. They are not going to come on Flyertalk and post about it.
The issue was two fold - Me going thru the hassles for days together keeping me on my toes and my family going thru the extra routing for no fault of theirs.

Originally Posted by mrwise
Just 1500 miles more? Would you like an airline to just add 1500 miles to your scheduled flying distance the next time you travel? You make it sound like it's 150 miles or something. Sheesh...
Thanks. I thought I was the only person here thinking this was not ok. Some of the folks here on FT simply seem to think that an Airline had a duty to bring a Passenger from Point A to Point B and it did not matter how they did it.

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
OP was not a pax but was still AA's customer, and this complaint (for better or worse) is about customer service. I don't see that an experience worthy of some level of complaint (repeatedly stringing a customer along before finally acknowledging the need to fix the ticket) if the pax had booked themselves is absolved just because someone booked on their behalf. As has been noted, compensation (if any) might be miles to the pax. How AA treated OP really is part of how they treated the pax because OP was acting for the pax. Yes, this is not an issue calling for "hard compensation", but a modest customer service gesture to make up for it can still be reasonable even though the person spending time on the phone was not the person spending time on the plane.
Thanks and appreciate your comments. I did not start this thread with saying that I want a full refund or an obnoxious amount of money or vouchers. I was curious to find out if this incident triggered some kind of compensation from AA for the hassles and the extra routing. Unfortunately, some of the FT members simply resorted to bashing for as if I was at fault for the entire episode. I wish they have to some day deal with a similar Travel Agency who would refuse to respond to your concerns and then they would understand what I had to endure until the last minute.

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Skype is a wonderful tool to use in this case. I've had issues with AA Asia #'s and Skyped to the US numbers to have my issues solved.
Unfortunately, this is India. Not everyone has Internet and even if you had it, the speed sucks. It is getting better with Reliance Jio etc. but there is still a long way to go with people having the right devices etc.
swingaling likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Unfortunately, this is India. Not everyone has Internet and even if you had it, the speed sucks. It is getting better with Reliance Jio etc. but there is still a long way to go with people having the right devices etc.

We're not talking about "everyone", are we? We're talking about YOU having access. Judging by your ability to answer/argue with every single person who replied to your posts you have PLENTY of access to the internet.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Started as two 8 - 9 hours journey, ended up with 6 hours to HKG and 16 hours for the next flight for two patients with Arthritis.
If the passengers could handle one 8-9 hour flight followed by some time to walk around before getting on the next 8-9 hour flight, why wouldn't the passengers be able to get out of their seats in the middle of the 16 hour flight to walk around in the aisle, thereby simulating the "walk break" they were expecting between the two original flights?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Why is that no one on Flyertalk can seem to take a moderate position on anything?

OP's post was wayyy too breathless for a relatively minor inconvenience. But of course it was an inconvenience, and by the sound of it, an unnecessary one. AA messed up issuing a ticket, through several calls refused to fix it, and finally "fixed" it by causing the passengers to have to fly an extra 3-4 hours.

[A poster is overreacting] =/= [There is no problem]
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
We do not know how the ticket got screwed up, but it was still screwed up after AA said it had been reissued.
By June 23, it was still showing to be a problem for Jet. At that point, I would not have fooled around with it any longer. That would have been the time to ask AA to resolve it or refund it.
Waiting longer not only increases the anxiety, but also reduces the alternatives.
That said. It is clear someone, probably the AA contract agency, screwed up.
OP: If it makes you feel any better, request compensation again, and state exactly what you want.
Leave out the part about how they have dealt with the person or people who screwed up, as frankly, from AA's viewpoint, that is none of your business.

Last edited by mvoight; Aug 8, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Thanks everyone for your comments. It helped.
I had replied back politely to AA Customer Relations and stressed on the undue hassles caused increasing my BP until the last minute which was definitely not something I bargained for.
In the end, they still would not confirm that they are taking ANY action on the erring Agency (which based off many of your comments seems normal and that no company does that), they have agreed to provide a Voucher with a pretty generous amount (quite a lot more than what I had imagined).
In the end, AA Customer Relations lived to the expectations and have done the right thing by me and my family and I applaud them for that.

Thanks again everyone. Good night!
JDiver and ijgordon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.