Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Here!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I'd be interested
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Side note, I tried to use my Amex Platinum Boingo account recently and it didn't work anymore. I sent support a message and got this back:

Thank you for contacting Boingo regarding your recent connection trouble with inflight Wi-Fi. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. Inflight Wi-Fi is not a benefit included with the complimentary service provided through American Express. Due to a recently discovered bug you may have received access on certain flights. Moving forward your American Express plan will include all the land based hotspots you’ve been enjoying but inflight Wi-Fi will no longer work.

If there's anything more we can do to help, please don't hesitate to let us know.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton Honors-PLT Admirals Club
Im in, how many devices per user?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I'm in!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:28 am

TALLY LIST to be UPDATED as more people chime in for an accurate #.

Originally Posted by valuepac
Im in, how many devices per user?
I "believe".... but I would have to confirm.... that this is at least 2. When I've had iPass in the past, I was able to sign in both my laptop and my cell phone at the same time. I would need to confirm that however. I would like to figure out if we can get a large group though. The more we have, the better the discount.

So far:

Myself
ESpen36
valuepac
donotblink - interested
samewise622
swingaling
NickP 1K

Last edited by usafltg; Sep 21, 2018 at 11:39 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
I’m interested
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I'm interested
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Great idea but seems like it (1) doesn't add value for domestic travel for those who have T-mobile or (2) deal with the ViaSat problem. Wish there was a ViaSat solution!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Great idea but seems like it (1) doesn't add value for domestic travel for those who have T-mobile or (2) deal with the ViaSat problem. Wish there was a ViaSat solution!
1 - T-Mobile subscribers only get 1 hour on domestic flights, on a mobile device only. There is some trickery you can do to "hack" this to work on your laptop, and even extend the 1 hour range.... but I'm assuming the majority don't want to mess with this.
2 - iPass handles gogo, aainflight (panasonic) and they're in the process of dealing with the upgraded ViaSat. I've been told a Q4 roll-out is in the works - but would love confirmation of this.
3 - the majority of air carriers, hotspots (paid ones, not just free ones) are covered through the service. One ring to rule them all so to speak.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by usafltg
1 - T-Mobile subscribers only get 1 hour on domestic flights, on a mobile device only. There is some trickery you can do to "hack" this to work on your laptop, and even extend the 1 hour range.... but I'm assuming the majority don't want to mess with this.
2 - iPass handles gogo, aainflight (panasonic) and they're in the process of dealing with the upgraded ViaSat. I've been told a Q4 roll-out is in the works - but would love confirmation of this.
3 - the majority of air carriers, hotspots (paid ones, not just free ones) are covered through the service. One ring to rule them all so to speak.

Well ... many T-Mobile subscribers have plans that give unlimited inflight gogo. On Samsung phones, one simply needs to turn on the phone hotspot so not any trickery involved.
AAinflight (panasonic) is a definite plus!

As for ViaSat, that would be an excellent addition but I'm a bit skeptical based on other rumors regarding viasat.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well ... many T-Mobile subscribers have plans that give unlimited inflight gogo. On Samsung phones, one simply needs to turn on the phone hotspot so not any trickery involved.
AAinflight (panasonic) is a definite plus!

As for ViaSat, that would be an excellent addition but I'm a bit skeptical based on other rumors regarding viasat.
Unless the T-Mobile Samsung handsets do something special, when you turn on a hotspot on a Samsung phone (or any Android handset for that matter), it disables the WiFi. It does not pass WiFi through to other devices.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Originally Posted by genotonda
Unless the T-Mobile Samsung handsets do something special, when you turn on a hotspot on a Samsung phone (or any Android handset for that matter), it disables the WiFi. It does not pass WiFi through to other devices.
samsung phones do pass wifi to other devices its called wifi sharing
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
If memory serves, many/most iPass accounts allow unlimited devices, though you have to activate each one separately.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I'm interested

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.