Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Overseas Member AA Tier Requirement: EQD minima?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, HH

I will be changing my address to an overseas address. Will it be mandatory to meet the dollar spend in addition to mileage to attain a status?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by acader
I will be changing my address to an overseas address. Will it be mandatory to meet the dollar spend in addition to mileage to attain a status?
Yes. Unlike Delta and United, AA still requires dollar spend regardless of address...
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Yes. Unlike Delta and United, AA still requires dollar spend regardless of address...
Although unlike United, AA awards “dollar spend” (calculated as a fraction of the miles flown) for partner flights, in most cases at a high enough rate so that it’s actually pretty difficult to reach the EQM threshold without reaching the EQD threshold when you fly mostly partners. But it of course depends on the fare classes purchased.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ashill

Although unlike United, AA awards “dollar spend” (calculated as a fraction of the miles flown) for partner flights, in most cases at a high enough rate so that it’s actually pretty difficult to reach the EQM threshold without reaching the EQD threshold when you fly mostly partners. But it of course depends on the fare classes purchased.
If you observe AA’s partner charts, you will notice one thing, most partner EQM:EQD ratios are 5:1 with the most extreme being 10:1. Partner discount coach fares earn only 50% EQMs and 10% EQDs or in some cases 5% EQDs.

Thus, to achieve EXP if you flew only partner tickets, then you’d need at most 120,000 EQMs. However, the trick is because you would only earn 50% EQMs, you’d need to fly twice as many miles. So in effect, you flew 240,000 miles to earn 120,000 EQMs and 12,000 EQDs in this scenario.

It’s only flying AA where the true ticket fare can produce EQM:EQD ratios way wackier than 10:1. Such as my LAX-HKG ticket that ran me only $171 but ended up with a ratio of 42.5:1
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

If you observe AA’s partner charts, you will notice one thing, most partner EQM:EQD ratios are 5:1 with the most extreme being 10:1. Partner discount coach fares earn only 50% EQMs and 10% EQDs or in some cases 5% EQDs.

Thus, to achieve EXP if you flew only partner tickets, then you’d need at most 120,000 EQMs. However, the trick is because you would only earn 50% EQMs, you’d need to fly twice as many miles. So in effect, you flew 240,000 miles to earn 120,000 EQMs and 12,000 EQDs in this scenario.

It’s only flying AA where the true ticket fare can produce EQM:EQD ratios way wackier than 10:1. Such as my LAX-HKG ticket that ran me only $171 but ended up with a ratio of 42.5:1
Indeed. There are a few wacky scenarios if you fly very, very short hops on partner flights (for example SIN-KUL, or LIM-CUZ, GIG-CGH), which often are part of a larger int'l itinerary which books those short hops into "Y" or "B" buckets, giving 500 EQM because they're too short (I consistently get GIG-CGH booked into Y while the longer segments are in a promotional bucket, X/O/G), you tend to get 10:1 ratios way more often and it's a pain to get EQD in that case.

However, no short in EQD can't be solved with a well-timed CX Premium Economy run
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jimmielin
However, no short in EQD can't be solved with a well-timed CX Premium Economy run
Depends if he moves to HKG or not. If HKG based, doesn’t work so well. CX PE runs work best when a trip is routed something like NAM-HKG-AUS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.