Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HVN New Haven-CLT, DFW-CYS Cheyenne: One New AA Station, One New Route

Old Aug 3, 18, 11:09 am
Original Poster

One of the smallest AA route announcements in recent memory, but I figure someone here will find this useful.

AA will put two new routes on sale this weekend. Unfortunately I don't have a schedule yet.

HVN-CLT: Year-round, Saturdays only, begins in November (? - not sure on this) on a CR2
DFW-CYS: Year-round, daily, begins 4 November on a CR2

Personally, I'm surprised that HVN-CLT is only once a week and that DFW-CYS exists at all. Airlines have been trying and failing to fly to CYS for years. Guess it's AA's turn to give it a shot.

Edit:
The schedule has been posted on RoutesOnline. Here it is:
AA5053 CLT0735 - 0920HVN CRJ 6
AA5053 HVN0955 - 1158CLT CRJ 6

AA3123 DFW0905 - 1005CYS CRJ D
AA3123 CYS1035 - 1335DFW CRJ D

Last edited by dfw88; Aug 6, 18 at 7:34 am Reason: Added Schedule
Old Aug 3, 18, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dfw88 View Post
DFW-CYS: Year-round, daily, begins 4 November on a CR2

Personally, I'm surprised that HVN-CLT is only once a week and that DFW-CYS exists at all. Airlines have been trying and failing to fly to CYS for years. Guess it's AA's turn to give it a shot.
AA's tried Cheyenne before - it didn't work. Maybe this time will be different somehow.

Reference thread in pre-merger forum: AA/AE announce new nonstop from DFW-CYS (Cheyenne, Wyo.)

That route is longer than I am willing to ride a CR2.
TechMarauder likes this.
Old Aug 3, 18, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Not that I think it will matter, but I just did a quick check and it appears that ZK was also flying to CYS the whole time that AA tried it the last time around. Maybe they think that with no competition (ZK just filed for bankruptcy and quit flying) and only 1 daily flight they'll be able to get enough traffic? I'm not convinced, but that could be what they're thinking.
bse118 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 18, 3:06 pm

CYS put up ~600k in subsidy... I believe they were trying to re-attract AA or G4 to LAS and AA won out

The last time they tried this was like 2010/2011 after the recession as the industry started to regain traction, so maybe without ZK and given the economy it might do better this time around, but who knows. Great option for me though, I'm halfway b/w CYS and DEN...

Though as somebody noted on A.net, no idea why they didn't just go after UA to DEN or DL to SLC...way better connection points for CYS
Old Aug 3, 18, 3:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Out of curiosity, what's the point in having a route that's once a week-unless AA is looking for passengers that book on Expedia and don't care which airline they're flying? Wouldn't a large portion of customers book on the AA website and see that only one leg of their trip to HVN is available, get frustrated and try another airline?
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 18, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Even though it's on Saturday's only, I am happy to see CLT-HVN. Baby steps and hopefully it does well enough for AA to have it daily.
Old Aug 3, 18, 7:20 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
AA recently announced a similar move out of ITH-CLT with Saturday only service. I have a feeling AA is testing deploying parked aircraft to collgetowns on a Saturdays where I suspect students and faculty looking to get out of town create higher loads
superweak and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 6, 18, 7:03 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage PPRO, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the point in having a route that's once a week-unless AA is looking for passengers that book on Expedia and don't care which airline they're flying? Wouldn't a large portion of customers book on the AA website and see that only one leg of their trip to HVN is available, get frustrated and try another airline?
I'm guessing there must be AA service to somewhere else where you could make connections (PHL?), so they'd just have a different route on the other day.
Old Aug 6, 18, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GNVFlyer View Post
AA recently announced a similar move out of ITH-CLT with Saturday only service. I have a feeling AA is testing deploying parked aircraft to collgetowns on a Saturdays where I suspect students and faculty looking to get out of town create higher loads
This would be my logic too, but I'd bet on Friday rather than Saturday and get people coming into college towns for weekend sportis activities. Students leaving town for the weekend would also generally try to leave on Friday, not Saturday.

BTW, when I've checked schedules, I've noticed that DL has fewer flights/seats to/from ITH on Saturday compared to weekdays.
Old Aug 6, 18, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
In the case of HVN AA is the only airline there, so no. I suspect this is about a higher percentage of Saturday passengers than other days going to Florida (and a spare Saturday aircraft). When the passenger returns home Monday or Tuesday they just fly via PHL.
Old Aug 6, 18, 8:36 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Bummer. I would have flown the CYS route last year. Had a client in the Nebraska panhandle - this route would have saved me an hour of driving versus flying into Denver.(of course, the return flight would have been of no help getting work done the day of travel).
Old Aug 6, 18, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
AA's tried Cheyenne before - it didn't work. Maybe this time will be different somehow.

Reference thread in pre-merger forum: AA/AE announce new nonstop from DFW-CYS (Cheyenne, Wyo.)

That route is longer than I am willing to ride a CR2.
Although I would prefer any other aircraft in the AA fleet, the CR2 beats the alternative of flying to DEN and driving.
Old Aug 6, 18, 3:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Silver,
Originally Posted by jk88usa View Post
CYS put up ~600k in subsidy... I believe they were trying to re-attract AA or G4 to LAS and AA won out

The last time they tried this was like 2010/2011 after the recession as the industry started to regain traction, so maybe without ZK and given the economy it might do better this time around, but who knows. Great option for me though, I'm halfway b/w CYS and DEN...

Though as somebody noted on A.net, no idea why they didn't just go after UA to DEN or DL to SLC...way better connection points for CYS
It is closer to $1.2 million per year (2 years) with the State money put in. The local city leaders here in Cheyenne are desperate for an airline to go with the $20 million in tax payer dollars they are using to build a new terminal building. Only about 5 people per day each way use the Great Lakes service (UA codeshare). You can get to DIA (DEN) in way less time than it took to complete your layover. The last time they were here AA left the day after the revenue guarantees ended...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: