help with refund

Old Aug 2, 18, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR, DL
Angry help with refund

Hi team, wanted to see if I can get some help. I was supposed to fly CLT-GPT yesterday on AA3355, but it got cancelled after continuous delays over 4 hours. This left me stranded on CLT airport without a hotel, ride or food. Eventually, I was rebooked for next day flight CLT-Mobile on AA5337. They wanted to rebook me with connections and I said no. The ONLY reason I chose American over Delta is so I have a direct flight. I would have never used them based on my last 5 flights with them and all my friends saying they suck, which they clearly do.

The people on the rebooking could not help me with hotel or rental, neither could the customer service desk. They said to go to aa.com/customerrelations to request refund. That's great, but when I go there I input my flight number and it says it's not cancelled so not subject to refund. There is no e-mair or phone number. When I call the AAdvantage number, they have high call volume and automatically hang up (wtaf?).

In summary, my direct flight got 4hr delay and cancelled at midnight, no hotel was provided and I stayed (not slept) at the airport all night, and had to out of pocket book rental from different airport to my home place. Is there any place I can contact to get a refund for the $125 rental from Mobile to Gulfport? The ticket was award flight with $75 fee as it was last moment thing, I had to drop a car off. I am also filing credit card dispute for the $75 as that is the only place willing to work with me. I can't believe there is nobody to contact and I was told to f-off.
Old Aug 2, 18, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Why was the flight cancelled? If it was weather, the airline won't offer you any reimbursement for hotel/meals/car as it's out of their control. Their option is to get you to your destination at the earliest possible convenience, even if that involves extra stops. If it was mechanical, then you should get reimbursed for your reasonable out-of-pocket expenses from the airline. In either case, a credit card with proper insurance (or other 3rd party) is usually the best option if you're not prepared to handle possible expenses due to typical travel issues.

As for the mileage refund: You'll have to do like everyone else and call and queue up for your turn.

Regarding the award ticket fee, what are the terms of the fee? If it's refundable, then you should get it refunded with the mileage. However, doing a charge-back on your card is unrecommended. Travel companies have been known to ban you from future travel if you use this for something that wasn't allowed (trying to refund a non-refundable fee).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: