Action against unprincipled passenger?

Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by andresmdn
This guy... one of those situations where I can't tell if it's purposeful trolling, or if he was just raised to be a s***head. Although I suppose it could very well be a combination of both. Here's a short story to demonstrate that not all teenagers have heads full of poo, like this guy implies.

About a year ago met a 15 year old traveling by himself on a domestic transcon. We were seated together in J. His parents had used their miles. An elderly woman and her daughter were boarding with the other Y passengers, presumably having missed the call for preboarding. She's making her way slowly down the aisle, walkign with her cane. The 15yo jumps into the aisle in front of her, and gestures for her to take his seat. Wouldn't take no for an answer. Taking the example of this 'kid', I subsequently offer my seat to the woman's daughter so they could stay seated together.

Moral of the story? Not every teen is raised the same way you were @5DMarkIIguy. No need to project your own childhood onto every young adult.
That is the moral of the story? LOL.
Moral of this story is you are making a lot of assumptions about this teen, the OP’s teen, my upbringing. Some older person with a cane walks by and you and the kid jump up and offer J seats?
Make sure you tell people where you are going next and what class so someone can bring a cane. What an idiot!

jhartvu likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:59 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy

Moral of this story is you are making a lot of assumptions about this teen, the OPs teen, my upbringing. Some older person with a cane walks by and you and the kid jump up and offer J seats?
Make sure you tell people where you are going next and what class so someone can bring a cane. What an idiot!

I would not call him an idiot for doing something nice but it seems nuts to me.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Wow that is just crazy to me. Did you at least get MCE? I am not trolling but what were you thinking? She could have been filthy rich for all you know and too cheap to buy J.
Yes they had bulkhead MCE, the same ones they usually block for assignment at the airport. But it's not like we confirmed any of that beforehand.

As for the wealth question, I left out the context clues. The older woman didn't speak any english beyond a few simple words, with the daughter translating for her from Vietnamese. The way they dressed also didn't suggest wealth or that either of them were well-traveled. Suppose it is still possible they had money, but not all that likely IMO.

Regardless, had the teen not taken the first step in offering his seat, then I wouldn't have either. He was to be commended for being selfless. Eventually that trait will likely get beat out of him, as the .......s of the world exploit it. Then he can be just like the rest of us. Hurray? :/
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:36 am

Interesting. I am too selfish with my J/F seats to do that for anyone except my mom. My significant other is often left behind when only one seat clears - yet l love him more than anything in this world. Except an upgrade, I suppose....
jhartvu and apeortdz like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:52 am

Moral of this story is you are making a lot of assumptions about this teen, the OPs teen, my upbringing. Some older person with a cane walks by and you and the kid jump up and offer J seats?

I do love when people who generate boatloads of sweeping and baseless assumptions then they turn around and accuse others of doing the same. With no sense of irony. It's an absolute hoot.

You had this whole argument going for several posts that the parents were hypocrites, etc. And it was all based on the assumption that they were potentially "stealing" desert from other passengers. Yet the OP corrected your assumption, turns out they brought their own deserts back. Whoops.

You assumed that the seat exchange agreement necessarily closed in mere seconds. And yet the CK would have had quite some time during the boarding process to talk to the teens and fabricate stories to play on their better nature.

All of your posts reek of projection. I get the urge to be a contrarian just for the sake of it. To jump to conclusions and assume the worst possible case, however unlikely. But how about you take a step back and realize how ridiculous you're being?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This guy... one of those situations where I can't tell if it's purposeful trolling, or if he was just raised to be a s***head. Although I suppose it could very well be a combination of both. Here's a short story to demonstrate that not all teenagers have heads full of poo, like this guy implies.

About a year ago met a 15 year old traveling by himself on a domestic transcon. We were seated together in J. His parents had used their miles. An elderly woman and her daughter were boarding with the other Y passengers, presumably having missed the call for preboarding. She's making her way slowly down the aisle, walkign with her cane. The 15yo jumps into the aisle in front of her, and gestures for her to take his seat. Wouldn't take no for an answer. Taking the example of this 'kid', I subsequently offer my seat to the woman's daughter so they could stay seated together.

Moral of the story? Not every teen is raised the same way you were @5DMarkIIguy. No need to project your own childhood onto every young adult.
Maybe the teen just wanted to sit next to the daughter and you foiled his plan by offering your business class seat to her.
ijgordon, C17PSGR and andresmdn like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe the teen just wanted to sit next to the daughter and you foiled his plan by offering your business class seat to her.
The daughter was definitely in her 40s, but hey different strokes for different folks
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As this thread seems to continue on and on. If the original parents could not have seated the entire family in J they all should have rode in Y. People fly in Y everyday longhaul and beleive it or not do not suffer permanent physical and mental illness from the experience. As far as the 15 year old offering his seat to an elderly person, quite notable. But I have to agree that life will teach him not to be so generous.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I would not call him an idiot for doing something nice but it seems nuts to me.
He's not an idiot for doing something nice. He's an idiot for making any assumptions while being holier than thou.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:53 pm

I do love when people who generate boatloads of sweeping and baseless assumptions then they turn around and accuse others of doing the same. With no sense of irony. It's an absolute hoot.

You had this whole argument going for several posts that the parents were hypocrites, etc. And it was all based on the assumption that they were potentially "stealing" desert from other passengers. Yet the OP corrected your assumption, turns out they brought their own deserts back. Whoops.

You assumed that the seat exchange agreement necessarily closed in mere seconds. And yet the CK would have had quite some time during the boarding process to talk to the teens and fabricate stories to play on their better nature.

All of your posts reek of projection. I get the urge to be a contrarian just for the sake of it. To jump to conclusions and assume the worst possible case, however unlikely. But how about you take a step back and realize how ridiculous you're being?
If you don't want the deserts, others would want the deserts. It's not yours to give away.
Are you saying if you can drink 8 bottles of Dom Perignon, but you chose to drink 4, so you can give away 4 to your friends in the back? Whoops what?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:01 pm

He's not an idiot for doing something nice. He's an idiot for making any assumptions while being holier than thou.
We're really setting the bar low here for being an 'idiot'. Everybody makes assumptions, everyday. You wouldn't be able to function normally without assuming things. Maybe you meant BASELESS assumptions? I'll defer to you on those, as they are your specialty.

Hardly holier than thou. I didn't initiate jack squat. And wouldn't have. Only reason I ended up moving is because that teenage demonstrated I could do something randomly kind for strangers. And to be real, AA J meant a whole lot more to them than it did to me. They were all smiles and probably will remember it for a while. Whereas it's just another flight for the FTers. So why not go out of your way to be kind every blue moon, when the right occasion presents itself.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:09 pm

If you don't want the deserts, others would want the deserts. It's not yours to give away.
Are you saying if you can drink 8 bottles of Dom Perignon, but you chose to drink 4, so you can give away 4 to your friends in the back? Whoops what?
Oh boy, how about them apples and oranges. They really are the same, aren't they? With that strawman analogy, I feel the need to remind you of that warning about being ridiculous. I'll meet your absurd food ownership concept with an equally bizarre joke: Did you know that the contract of carriage specifies exactly who consumes the food that is served?

At this point, it's become clear that you have no intention of actually defending any of the weak arguments you make. The pattern is set. I demonstrate an argument of yours to be silly, and you just move on to the next one. Ad Nauseam. A classic Gish Gallop, in formal debate.

Anyway, feel free to declare how much of a pious, gullible, idiot I am, who was soundly defeated by your flawless arguments. I sincerely hope that you're not as miserable as you come across here online. I have a feeling you're the type of person to have a pathological need for the final say, so the last word is yours.

Last edited by andresmdn; Aug 28, 2018 at 3:15 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're back to this? J. H. C.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
People fly in Y everyday longhaul and beleive it or not do not suffer permanent physical and mental illness from the experience.
Eh, some people survive and some people die from DVT. I'd rather not take my chances.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
They's a gonna shut down this thread. The sooner the better.
KBMIFlyer and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
If the original parents could not have seated the entire family in J they all should have rode in Y.
That is not how I see it. Each of us has a different perspective but one is not right and the others' wrong. At my company, I worked hard to ensure that when we paid for annual family leave for our expats, we paid for J for the employee and spouse and kids sat in business class. I thought that was the appropriate use of our travel budget. I also stated that any bereavement travel was in coach so people did not decide to go to the funeral of every third cousin twice removed for the Krug and caviar but rather went when they really thought it was necessary!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.