Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Action against unprincipled passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enpremiere
One solution would be to add doors with employee card access in-flight between cabins to prevent cross-class activity between F, J, PE, and Y cabins. Then we no longer have lengthy threads about:
  • Sending drinks or desserts from J to Y
  • Switching from PE to economy
  • CK's in PE barging in on the calm and serenity of the J cabin to complain about the riffraff in Y
Productivity among FT members in the workplace would surge. This would effectively enable everyone to enjoy the classiness of the cabin that you're flying in. After all, PE is really in a world of its own!
I propose nightclub bouncers and a velvet rope. Just a dude sitting there on a chair between the cabins with arms crossed, saying "nope" to anyone who even looks at him.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I suspect the subtle difference here is that the person in J asked the FA about bringing sundaes to kids in PE. FA made a judgment call that it was okay. Had he/she said no, that would have been fine as well. It's a little different than trying to sneak a steady stream of drinks back to Y. Lower degree of entitlement.
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of (1) alcohol vs. ice cream, and (2) you are allotted a sundae (or whatever dessert) by sitting in business class. If you choose to give your one sundae to someone else (and yes, have asked the FA if it's okay), then that's completely different than just taking from the general pool of alcohol that's meant for everyone else, and diverting it to passengers in the back.

Not remotely the same.
Insulator-King likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sealink
Don't leave your kids in PE?
This sentiment has popped up a few times in this thread. As someone who often books trips for our family of 4 (sometimes 5 or 6 if we're bringing along one of more of our parents), I know how hard it is to find 4+ available in one cabin. If a single flight has 1F, 1J, and 3Y available, I'll probably book all of the seats and figure out later who sits where. Same goes if we've all booked Y and we get lucky on an upgrade: we'll take the upgrade and usually put my wife in J/F.

Our kids are still young enough that we've yet to leave them in Y by themselves, but when they're in their middle teens I don't think it's that big of a deal to leave them a few rows away from the rest of the family as long as the airline doesn't have a rule against it. I might mention it to the FA if I was in J and they were in PE, but that's it. Oh, and I would make sure the kids were aware of the etiquette: you stay in your cabin. Quietly speak to the FA if you have an urgent need to talk to family in other cabins. PE is a comfy enough ride for teenagers: I wouldn't feel compelled to share my ice cream.
Sealink likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
And, in other news, in most US homes the parents have large bedrooms with attached bathrooms and kids have smaller bedrooms with shared bathrooms. Oh, the humanity!!!

You must tell us where you are from where the adults drive Toyotas and their kids Mercedes.

What you said might make sense if it were for the basic needs of life (i.e. the bread scenario you point out), but when you devolve into material items of where kids sleep on a cruise ship it becomes a bit silly.
The WatchNugget agrees!!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I suspect the subtle difference here is that the person in J asked the FA about bringing sundaes to kids in PE. FA made a judgment call that it was okay. Had he/she said no, that would have been fine as well. It's a little different than trying to sneak a steady stream of drinks back to Y. Lower degree of entitlement.
So it is a subtle difference instead of not remotely close?
what if I ask the same FA right after the guy asked to bring sundae back if I can bring drinks back? The same FA wouldn’t dare say no, right? Is there a difference?
Shady is shady! I would never do something like that. And if I do, I wouldn’t be quick to judge someone else.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Chalk it up to bad parenting, my kids would have been like no thank you we’re great here.

You don’t blindly acquiesce to random requests from strangers. How do you expect these kids to make it in the real world if they can’t sense they’re getting swindled left and right
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
What if you take your one alcoholic drink back to Y?
The underlying premise wold then be be that you’re taking what you would have reasonably consumed yourself - whether food or drink - and transferring it. Vs just getting extra.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of (1) alcohol vs. ice cream, and (2) you are allotted a sundae (or whatever dessert) by sitting in business class. If you choose to give your one sundae to someone else (and yes, have asked the FA if it's okay), then that's completely different than just taking from the general pool of alcohol that's meant for everyone else, and diverting it to passengers in the back.

Not remotely the same.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Chalk it up to bad parenting, my kids would have been like no thank you we’re great here.
Can't tell apart bad parenting from genetics (some people naturally predisposed to acquiescence)
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by davie355
Can't tell apart bad parenting from genetics (some people naturally predisposed to acquiescence)
Absolutely. I know plenty of amazing people that loathe confrontation of any type. It had nothing to do with the way they were brought up. Five kids in my family and two of them would have handled it completely differently based on personality traits.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
what if I ask the same FA right after the guy asked to bring sundae back if I can bring drinks back? The same FA wouldn’t dare say no, right? Is there a difference?

As multiple posters have explained now, yes, there is.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:31 am

So it is a subtle difference instead of not remotely close?
Shady is shady! I would never do something like that. And if I do, I wouldn’t be quick to judge someone else.
I put it more in the subtle difference category.

I could easily see a passenger wanting to offer ice cream to his kids a couple rows back without any "shady" intent.
I generally think that passengers looking to send booze back to coach as know they really shouldn't do that.
That, to me, is the subtle difference.

And yes, I can see an FA allowing an ice cream but saying no to sending booze back.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by SamOF
As multiple posters have explained now, yes, there is.
And? The parents asked FA to bring sundae back. So it is ok to bring sundae back?
The CK asked the 16yo to swap seats, so it is also ok?
Both are not ok in my view, with slight difference in degree of shadiness. Thus, I find it hypocritical for people to complain about stuff they are also doing themselves, abeit, less shady.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent

And? The parents asked FA to bring sundae back. So it is ok to bring sundae back?
Both are not ok in my view, with slight difference in degree of shadiness. Thus, I find it hypocritical for people to complain about stuff they are also doing themselves, abeit, less shady.
I'm assuming by this definition there are very few humans alive that are not hypocrites on a daily basis.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by jmail1
I'm assuming by this definition there are very few humans alive that are not hypocrites on a daily basis.
Look, I could care less if someone brings something from J to Y for their kids. I also don’t care if a dad is trying to swap better seats for his own kid.
That is never the problem. The problem is the nerve to follow up on complaints that also exposes your own hypocrisy.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:13 pm

The seat-swapping thing is way worse. Orders of magnitude worse. Done by an adult, to a kid, negative consequences for the kid that he fully knew about. The ice cream thing has no victim.

You're clinging to this logic that if you jaywalk, it's hypocritical to judge murderers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.