Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Action against unprincipled passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: CK or bust
Just to throw one more log on the fire, since the distinction between PE and economy may not be clear to travelers who don't travel much (and is still somewhat "new" to some), without having first seen the regular economy seats it could have just been a kind gesture on the junior travelers' part and only upon arriving at their new seats would they have realized that they were given a nickel for their dime.

If you think about it, for folks that aren't as up to date on the marketing speak/products, premium economy, economy, and basic economy all literally include the word economy even though their hard/soft products can differ greatly. Then to top it all off, there's also the "main cabin extra" pitch that gets thrown around too. Depending on the route, we then have international F on the 77W and the SFO/LAX-JFK A321 transcons, international business, domestic F (paling in comparison to int'l business despite "First" sounding more premium than business), business on the trans-cons (much nicer than domestic F), and then the "four" economy types which appear on different routes/aircraft types, two of which have their own distinct physical seat-room differences.

On the bright side, at least nobody told anyone else that Coke Zero was bad for them on the flight and neither the CK nor the teenagers were checking frozen fish or this thread would be 14 pages instead of 7 pages long .
ijgordon, C17PSGR and LovePrunes like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
On the bright side, at least nobody told anyone else that Coke Zero was bad for them on the flight and neither the CK nor the teenagers were checking frozen fish or this thread would be 14 pages instead of 7 pages long .
post of the month ^^^^^^^^
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by abk
I agree with you 100%. I have a senior in college who hates to fly in middle seats. If I can't book her an aisle or a window on some flights I will buy her a window. Several times others have taken her seat leaving her with a middle and she will sit there rather than cause what my kids would describe as an awkward and embarrassing situation. This is what happens when you cross my type A personality with my wife's good southern upbringing. My older one has grown out of it and will now ask you if you are in the correct seat.
FWIW, a simple "Excuse me, you're in my seat" from me has never created any awkward situation.

Once I was in 10A (window) and the guy sitting there said, "no, I'm in the right seat. 10B." He pointed to a label on the right-hand armrest which read 10B.

I said, "how about the left armrest?"

He lifted his left arm to reveal a label that said 10A. Without another word, he moved. You might think the rest of the flight was awkward, but it was just silent, which frankly a lot of people like.

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Yes, anyone can be an dingus and ask anything. But polite behavior is different, and polite behavior is to not ask someone to downgrade. And it is very widely considered that middle is less than aisle or window, mce better than regular coach, pe is better than mce, j better than pe, f better than j. That leaves grey areas and preferences, but this isn't one of those cases.
I'm a little torn. I align with the view of @Dr. HFH that a question in good faith is never out of line. "Very widely" does not equal "universally, objectively."

I seem to recall an old promotional campaign which posed the hypothetical: on a 12 hour flight, would you rather sit in J alone, or in economy next to the future love of your life?

To play devil's advocate against the OP, we still don't know if the CK offered something in exchange for the downgrade. Coasean bargaining, anyone? (Econ majors get this.)
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by davie355

I seem to recall an old promotional campaign which posed the hypothetical: on a 12 hour flight, would you rather sit in J alone, or in economy next to the future love of your life?
Alone - and meet her the next day?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
On a flight from DFW to LGA I was in 6A with a gentleman and his friend seated in 6B and 3A. The FA came back and asked if I would switch to 3A so the gentleman could sit next to his friend. I suggested to the FA that he ask the person in 3B to switch to 6B instead, and it solves the problem. The gentleman in 6B said to me in a huff, that they don't like sitting in the bulkhead. And I replied that at 6'5", neither do I.
JDiver, ijgordon, C17PSGR and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by davie355
To play devil's advocate against the OP, we still don't know if the CK offered something in exchange for the downgrade. Coasean bargaining, anyone? (Econ majors get this.)
Nothing was offered, and he certainly didn't tell them it was in a different class.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:42 pm

Next time I should carry the 1998 Chateau Margaux and pour to my “kids” in econ. Seems like an acceptable flying etiquette now aday.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Next time I should carry the 1998 Chateau Margaux and pour to my “kids” in econ. Seems like an acceptable flying etiquette now aday.
98 was spotty. Try an 82, 89 or 2000.
5DMarkIIguy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Scott Carroll
Maybe the person at the subject of this matter is on this site?

Welcome to Flyertalk. are you suggesting that you are the CK mentioned in the OP?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: CK or bust
An interesting uptick in threads featuring questions/"what would you do-esq" scenarios "for my friend" in general in the past month...

It would be helpful to get first-hand knowledge if "the friends" could post on FT. Equally helpful, however unlikely, would be if the other side would post their side too so com'n CK and let's here your take .

While we're at it I'd love to hear the perspective from the FA just to clear the air (pun intended). These threads might have less speculation and certainly could get more interesting!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
W class has only been sold for a few weeks - you might be giving the CK too much credit - he may have received a complimentary upgrade to W and didn't realize that it was a different fare class.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny
98 was spotty. Try an 82, 89 or 2000.
Off vintage first growth, but first growth, nevertheless.
Then if some guy with high status somehow got my kids to switch seats, maybe I will come back and create a thread how angry I am and how to punish this guy some more. Lol.

The whole thing is so over the top ridiculous. Uncouth people complain about other uncouth people.
txpenny likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Someone tried this on my (then) 15 yr old daughter coming back from Vancouver to London.

she was travelling in PE, whilst I was in J (and yes we had very good reasons why she wasn’t in business with me!) Being 15 she was feeling very “Grown up”, and despite being allowed to board with me, she elected to do it herself. She boarded to find her seat had been poached (nice window seat in PE) by a lady who insisted that my daughter had managed to bag the seat whilst she was checking herself in, thus stopping her sitting with her mother. Not true as daughters seat had been chosen for her at time of booking). This woman insisted that my daughter should take her seat to allow mother and daughter to sit together. Turns out that daughters seat was a middle middle in deepest Y. My daughter had flown enough and head me talking to know that the PE seat was hers, and she wasn’t going to take a downgrade, so got the FA to come and chuck the poacher out back to her crappy seat.

the mother then proceeded to try and make my daughters trip a misery by not letting her out when she needed to go - but found out that refusing to move simply means an athletic youngster will just step over you! FA intervened when she saw it happening and told the older woman to behave, and even offered to see if the passenger next to her daughter would like to change seats!

some kids know their rights whilst being polite about it..... what a shame that a middle aged woman couldn’t do the same!
ESPECIALROB, Ex-SIN, Gerbs and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:54 am

I probably would have told him to return his family members to their original seats, taken my kids to my J seats, and sat behind the guy for the rest of the flight with my wife, saying nothing, but making it clear that I was now in charge of the situation.
jmail1 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:58 am

An aside to this tale is the father who thought it was okay to bring his children ice cream, a treat to which they clearly were not entitled due to their seat status.

This is just as bad as someone in FC or J bringing drinks back to their friends in Y. Why did he think his children should get sundaes when no one else back there was? Dad was also taking advantage, though, perhaps, to a lesser degree than Mr CK.
5DMarkIIguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.