Wiki Posts
Search

Underseat storage in exit row

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Underseat storage in exit row

It has been ages since riding in an exit row. Are bags permitted to be stowed under the seat in front of you in an exit row on AA? 737-800. Row 14 if that makes a difference.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
All bags go overhead for takeoff and landing.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
As long as everything slides completely under the seat in front of you, that's permitted. It can't be sticking out at all.

I see my answer conflicts with the one above. Is that new?
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
what? For exit row? No.

Bulkhead yes of course but I always use the underseat storage in front of me.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:59 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If it is a BA flt. they require bags for EXIT rows to go in overhead compartments.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
As long as everything slides completely under the seat in front of you, that's permitted. It can't be sticking out at all.
Which is likely not going to be the case if there is an emergency stop and the bag slides back out!
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
If it is a BA flt. they require bags for EXIT rows to go in overhead compartments.
Same for LATAM.

But the OP is asking about AA 737-800.
TWA884 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Same for LATAM.

But the OP is asking about AA 737-800.
Yep.

also, when flying a 32S and I'm in the exit row with no seat in front of me but two up I put my bag under that seat, often to the dismay in the middle seat in the row in front of me. They have their own space in front of them just as I do. Mine is just farther away.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theshaun
It has been ages since riding in an exit row. Are bags permitted to be stowed under the seat in front of you in an exit row on AA? 737-800. Row 14 if that makes a difference.
Your personal item, yes. Your rollaboard bag, no. If you're not familiar with it, your personal item has smaller allowed dimensions than your main "bag"; examples of personal item are a laptop bag or a smaller backpack (I have a photo+laptop backpack which can barely hold my 14" laptop as well as a camera and several lenses, and it's right at the limit of the personal item size). And, as mentioned above, your personal item has to fit completely under the seat in front of you, with no protruding straps/etc, in an exit row on AA.

And be aware that the horizontal space under the seat in front of you can vary, depending on which type of 737-800 you have. If you have the 737-800 with in-seat AVOD, then the window and middle seats have entertainment system boxes taking up some of the space. But the aisle seats start with less space, no I'm not sure if you end up with any more net space in the aisle seat than in a window seat with the entertainment system box. But AFAIK there's no way to tell whether you'll have the 737-800 with or without the in-seat AVOD; On the LAX<->BNA nonstop route, for example, it tends to alternate between the two types of 737-800s (which both have the same seating chart AFAIK). Whether it has AVOD or not depends on when AA ordered the plane, no it's a difference of vintage, not model.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by theshaun
Sat in 14A on an -800 yesterday and stowed my backpack under the seat in front with no issues.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Which is likely not going to be the case if there is an emergency stop and the bag slides back out!
If there's an emergency stop, the momentum will make bags slide forward.
(Unless the pilot put the plane in reverse, that is. )
etiene, wrp96 and flying4workNfun like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
This is not correct
TWA884, lbbzman, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Yep.

also, when flying a 32S and I'm in the exit row with no seat in front of me but two up I put my bag under that seat, often to the dismay in the middle seat in the row in front of me. They have their own space in front of them just as I do. Mine is just farther away.
And then the overhead at that 32S row is filed with cabin equipment (raft?), makes perfect sense. Actually back at the second set of doors is worse, was back there fortunately only with a backpack, but the lav is directly ahead, so all you have is above, and it's already full before boarding.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The law of physics disagree with you.
bawm, JoeWoodstock and ijgordon like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
On AA, bags may go on floor in exit row but they -must- be completely clear of the walking area. This is in contrast with BA (as others have noted) where you may -not- place anything in the under seat area of the exit row.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.