Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Underseat storage in exit row

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Which is likely not going to be the case if there is an emergency stop and the bag slides back out!
As someone else noted, that is not for a "stop". It is for a "go", like a go-around. The laws of physics still apply even in emergencies.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Which is likely not going to be the case if there is an emergency stop and the bag slides back out!

Unless you're going backwards. The physics of a forward stop would typically keep the bags forward.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Unless you're going backwards. The physics of a forward stop would typically keep the bags forward.
And a plane doesn't go backwards at any great speed, because it cannot go backwards on its own power.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Edited do to too much sarcasm on my part.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: none
Indeed, very interesting thread
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I always place my backpack under the seat in front when flying AA and in a non-bulkhead exit row. It's highly unlikely to come out, as my feet are always up against it.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
And a plane doesn't go backwards at any great speed, because it cannot go backwards on its own power.
Actually, they can go backwards under their own power, though, as you noted, not at any great speed. Here is a video:

And discussed on Flyertalk in the past:

do planes ever use reverse thrusters to back away from the gate anymore?

Planes cannot go backwards very fast on reverse thrust, of course, as only a tiny portion of the total power can be redirected horizontally.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by coolcoil; Jul 25, 2018 at 1:21 am
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Sudden stops cause objects to move forward.........unless you are referring to a sudden stop while backing.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Rarely have I seen a more concise, direct question on this message board as we have with the OP and yet this thread has been massively derailed. Bravo!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
All bags go overhead for takeoff and landing.
Exit row means the row with emergency exits, typically over the plane's wings. In those rows, AA does not require bags go overhead (though some other airlines do; I don't know about Iberia, for example, which you might perhaps fly a lot if you're based in Barcelona).

But in case you misunderstood and though this was referring to the row nearest the front exit (the row from which you can exit quickest when the plane lands), that's called a bulkhead row, not an exit row, and in buikhead rows there is typically no floor storage space and that is why even on AA in a bulkhead row all bags go overhead for takeoff and landing.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Navig8R
Rarely have I seen a more concise, direct question on this message board as we have with the OP and yet this thread has been massively derailed. Bravo!
Thanks. I was able to sift through and get the answer I was looking for.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by theshaun
Thanks. I was able to sift through and get the answer I was looking for.
Haha. Welcome to FT

To summarize: on AA if your bag fits under the seat in front of you it is acceptable, no matter whether it is an exit row or not. Some other countries have different policies, where exit row bags MUST go above.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Does row 15 on 737-800 have the same leg room as 14 but with the ability to recline as well?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
As long as everything slides completely under the seat in front of you, that's permitted. It can't be sticking out at all.

I see my answer conflicts with the one above. Is that new?
Your answer is correct. The answer you’re commenting on applies to bulkhead row seats, not exitbrow seats. Unless:

The exception is if the row in front of you isn’t STCd for stowed baggage. I don’t recollect if AA / Eagle has any of these, but over the years I know I’ve come across a very few.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
Your answer is correct. The answer you’re commenting on applies to bulkhead row seats, not exitbrow seats. Unless:

The exception is if the row in front of you isn’t STCd for stowed baggage. I don’t recollect if AA / Eagle has any of these, but over the years I know I’ve come across a very few.
I'm pretty good with acronyms but I need help... STCd??
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by theshaun
Does row 15 on 737-800 have the same leg room as 14 but with the ability to recline as well?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.