Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking Award or $$ Trip to Hawaii - What are the best options?

Booking Award or $$ Trip to Hawaii - What are the best options?

Old Sep 17, 18, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
Wanted to post an update since everyone here gave me some good advice overall - I appreciate everyone's comments. Were looking at ~11 days - October 22 - November 2.
2) Should we rent a car? It would be convenient with having our kid with us where we can strap in and leave the car seat... HOWEVER, it looks REALLY expensive IMO. I'm looking at $500-650 for just the rental - add on top of that $30 PER NIGHT for a parking fee at each hotel. Overall I estimate $1000. Should we just use taxi's / ubers? Would appreciate any input from others that have traveled to Hawaii.
You might shop around for the rental car. I'm seeing minivans that are under $400 on kayak. No way I wouldn't have a car there unless I planned to hardly ever leave the resort.

Originally Posted by krakendown View Post
Congrats on the match from Delta. My wife and I are going Nov 11-18 so we are going to miss you. We are renting a jeep from Hertz because we want to experience "the road to hana" and plan on stopping at many waterfalls along the way. If you're not paying for a car, you'll have to pay for Uber's which may not be as convenient. Luckily I have enough Hertz points to use so I was good there. Lastly, if you haven't already you need to book now for a spot at Big Mama's Fish House. https://www.mamasfishhouse.com/ It is a tourist spot but hey you are a tourist.

Enjoy and malaho!
Just FYI but you don't need a jeep for the road to Hana. If you want a jeep and the price is right, go for it, but it's not needed. Even if you plan to continue on around Haleakala and come back that way you don't really need a jeep. I've done it in a car and a minivan and had no issues whatsoever. Well other than people in the car screaming "I'm scared".
Old Sep 17, 18, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat | Delta Plat | Marriott Gold
Congrats on the match from Delta. My wife and I are going Nov 11-18 so we are going to miss you. We are renting a jeep from Hertz because we want to experience "the road to hana" and plan on stopping at many waterfalls along the way. If you're not paying for a car, you'll have to pay for Uber's which may not be as convenient. Luckily I have enough Hertz points to use so I was good there. Lastly, if you haven't already you need to book now for a spot at Big Mama's Fish House. https://www.mamasfishhouse.com/ It is a tourist spot but hey you are a tourist.

Enjoy and malaho!

Enjoy and malaho!
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
Maui isn't the place to go if you're pinching pennies. Worrying about a car parking fee, etc.
I'd rent the car and not worry about it, just enjoy the flexibility it'll give you. It's a LONG uber from Ritz to Wailea.
If you have to pay to get out and see anything in an uber it's going to add up anyway. There's nothing up by the Ritz and in 4 days you're going to want to have left a few times to explore that part of Maui
11 days on Maui and no trip to Hana? You need a car for that for SURE.
Can't speak to your upgrade chances. Enjoy Maui..
Thanks for the advice - and this is definitely where I can use all the advice I can get.

Yes, I agree - pinching pennies in general doesn't seem smart here. I guess that's why I booked a Ritz ($300/night) and another Marriott resort (7 night certificate) + resort fees. Definitely won't be cheap at the end of the day.

My general thoughts with the car is that with a kid - traveling isn't going to easy or appealing. I don't think hiking is going to be smart with a 1.5 year old - nor do I think driving around mountain ranges to be smart either with a 1.5 year old. So my general conclusion was that staying within 5-20 minutes (uber range) within the resorts would be smarter. Plus - these resorts tend to have events/activities that also include transportation, no? And like I said, my general budget calculation was ~$1000 total for the rental car + parking fees - does uber/taxi sound significantly cheaper or easier? Obviously I haven't been on Maui to know how long it takes for a cab to get to me. 20 minutes vs. 2 minutes can be quite the difference maker.

If you're overall still recommending having a rental car - I will hang on to my Avis booking. Thanks for the advise!

Also - I'm a Marriott Platinum, what are my chances at these resorts (Ritz + Wailea) of getting upgraded to a nice view and/or suite?
Old Sep 19, 18, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post

Thanks for the advice - and this is definitely where I can use all the advice I can get.

Yes, I agree - pinching pennies in general doesn't seem smart here. I guess that's why I booked a Ritz ($300/night) and another Marriott resort (7 night certificate) + resort fees. Definitely won't be cheap at the end of the day.

My general thoughts with the car is that with a kid - traveling isn't going to easy or appealing. I don't think hiking is going to be smart with a 1.5 year old - nor do I think driving around mountain ranges to be smart either with a 1.5 year old. So my general conclusion was that staying within 5-20 minutes (uber range) within the resorts would be smarter. Plus - these resorts tend to have events/activities that also include transportation, no? And like I said, my general budget calculation was ~$1000 total for the rental car + parking fees - does uber/taxi sound significantly cheaper or easier? Obviously I haven't been on Maui to know how long it takes for a cab to get to me. 20 minutes vs. 2 minutes can be quite the difference maker.

If you're overall still recommending having a rental car - I will hang on to my Avis booking. Thanks for the advise!

Also - I'm a Marriott Platinum, what are my chances at these resorts (Ritz + Wailea) of getting upgraded to a nice view and/or suite?
unless you're returning to Maui soon for just you 2, I'd be sure to get out on some excursions in your rental car as it's a once in a lifetime or a once in a long time experience. Hana isn't a mountain range, it's a daylong twisty road filed with scenery. Your kid will conk out in the car while the two of you enjoy the views and stops for photos. Mama's Fish House is great if your kid does well out at restaurants. If not, it'll be an expensive nightmare for you and the rest of the adult patrons, but you know your child the best.

Ritz is situated pretty much at the end of civilization and you're going to want to go see more beach areas and a luau somewhere at some point. and with the drive down to Wailea and both ways to the airport...I can't imagine you're going to save THAT much by skipping the rental car for ubers. I'd recommend you do Hana during your 7 day stay not your 4 day stay, as it takes an entire day. But it is SO worth it.
Old Mar 2, 20, 9:50 am

any pattern for when AA releases upgrade space for EXPs using VIPs? booking a mid-week flight for 2 at end of schedule OGG-LAX and wondering if I'll sit on the waitlist for 330 days until day of departure crapshoot.
Old Mar 2, 20, 11:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
I recently got C=4 inventory on a Hawaii flight later in the summer on a very peak travel time after booking that did process automatically, so I think 4-6 months prior to travel date to get inventory to open up seems possible. However, it could be anytime. I think inventory will definitely open up, the only issue is if anyone will be above you who had a similar request. I am still waiting for similar inventory on the other AA Hawaii flight

I suspect looking at MCE bookings might provide some clue, but not all because of Plats below you and people who actually pay for MCE would be there as well.

However, the restricted first/business fare difference is not as much as I expected, so I had to do my math carefully.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: