Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Doug Parker: Not many people have complained about Y legroom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

From WSJ's article today https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-ai...ats-1532441990 - where UA's Munoz didn't even want to sit in the economy seat and be interviewed

Parker says:
"American hasn't done anything that makes the main cabin product less desirable than it was before"
"If customers complain enough about tight seating space, American would change. He says that hasn't happened"
"Customer survey scores on 737MAX are higher than existing planes"
Pledges 30 inch will be the lowest he will go
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
And the lavatories???
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by samwise6222
From WSJ's article today https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-ai...ats-1532441990 - where UA's Munoz didn't even want to sit in the economy seat and be interviewed

Parker says:
"American hasn't done anything that makes the main cabin product less desirable than it was before"
"If customers complain enough about tight seating space, American would change. He says that hasn't happened"
"Customer survey scores on 737MAX are higher than existing planes"
Pledges 30 inch will be the lowest he will go
I honestly have not been on a MAX8 yet. I've seen complaints on here, but complaining here doesn't product a "complaint" to AA. I suggest writing in directly to AA about the legroom on the MAX8's.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by formeraa
I honestly have not been on a MAX8 yet. I've seen complaints on here, but complaining here doesn't product a "complaint" to AA. I suggest writing in directly to AA about the legroom on the MAX8's.
Me neither. Just where are these 737 MAX's being deployed? As a DFW flyer 99% of the time I'm on either a dino 738 or a 320/321.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Doug wont ride the 7M8 FYI, what does that say. I want to know what he is smoking, he knows Project Oasis is crap. Delta will soon win over business travelers as they are trying to be the comfort big 3.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-ceo-wont-fly/

Lack of Leadership? CEO Parker unfamiliar with 737 MAX 8
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
Me neither. Just where are these 737 MAX's being deployed? As a DFW flyer 99% of the time I'm on either a dino 738 or a 320/321.
Miami

Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Doug wont ride the 7M8 FYI, what does that say. I want to know what he is smoking, he knows Project Oasis is crap. Delta will soon win over business travelers as they are trying to be the comfort big 3.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-ceo-wont-fly/

Lack of Leadership? CEO Parker unfamiliar with 737 MAX 8
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by samwise6222

Parker says:
Planespotters.net puts 12 active 7M8s in the AA fleet. Figure at least three flights a day (they should be on the longest 738/7M8 routes, logically) so that's about 4,000 people daily having the joy of 30" seat pitch. Make it a FlyerTalk challenge: fly a 7M8 and write to Parker complaining about (non-F, non-MCE) seat pitch.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Make it a FlyerTalk challenge: fly a 7M8 and write to Parker complaining about (non-F, non-MCE) seat pitch.
That's just it though: as an EXP - the chances of me being in a non-MCE, non-exit row (or non-F) seaton one of these things is minuscule. The 30" pitch that the once-a-year flier is experiencing in the back is not a concern of mine. And evidently - if AA's not getting complaints - not a concern of those flyers either.
railmatt and dciolli like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by bse118
That's just it though: as an EXP - the chances of me being in a non-MCE, non-exit row (or non-F) seaton one of these things is minuscule. The 30" pitch that the once-a-year flier is experiencing in the back is not a concern of mine. And evidently - if AA's not getting complaints - not a concern of those flyers either.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP. Rarely am I in a non-preferred seat - the exception being a list minute booking where even then I'm usually able to monitor the seat chart for a better seat. For that exact reason I wouldn't complain. I suspect the average once-a-year flyer just hears what they hear on social media, the news, etc., and comes to expect that and wouldn't complain. If they actually surveyed people and got true responses I suspect there would be much more negative feedback.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
I was on one out of IAH to SAN a few months back. Although typically that's a 320/321 with an old USairways interior.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I suspect the average once-a-year flyer just hears what they hear on social media, the news, etc., and comes to expect that and wouldn't complain. If they actually surveyed people and got true responses I suspect there would be much more negative feedback.
I suspect the that average flyer doesn't know what type of aircraft he or she is flying on until the moment they set foot on the plane. And maybe not even then.

If you survey after - sure there may be be some displeasure with the legroom. But the question is - does that displeasure translate to actual purchasing behavior? Or when AA is $10 cheaper the next time that person travels, is that all that matters?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by bse118
I suspect the that average flyer doesn't know what type of aircraft he or she is flying on until the moment they set foot on the plane. And maybe not even then.

If you survey after - sure there may be be some displeasure with the legroom. But the question is - does that displeasure translate to actual purchasing behavior? Or when AA is $10 cheaper the next time that person travels, is that all that matters?
I don't think it sways the average flyer's choice one bit. If they care they would purchase extra legroom. For those just getting from A to B the majority care about doing just that as cheap as possible. Comes as no surprise that no body is complaining.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I don't fly AA regularly but I recently had flights from SEA-MIA, MIA-BAQ, MDE-MIA and all of those were relatively pleasant. The SEA-MIA one was by far the worst, a jam packed 737 with no entertainment. It was overnight, but the return flight was worse, same plane, but just a night flight stared into the seatback David Puddy style.

Their legroom currently seems ok, but I haven't been on a MAX from any airline yet.

I do love though when the CEO's or whoever make statements like this when they haven't tried the product. Was there not another article where he raved about the plane, but then took a flight in business?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I was on one out of IAH to SAN a few months back. Although typically that's a 320/321 with an old USairways interior.
I'm fairly certain AA doesn't fly that route.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by skunker
I'm fairly certain AA doesn't fly that route.
unless he means he went via dfw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.