Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: Tomorrow's flight delayed already, can I sleep in?

AA: Tomorrow's flight delayed already, can I sleep in?

Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by KansasMike
Here's an absolutely crazy idea: When AA posts a delay, then pax can bank on it and the OP can sleep in.
It is reasonable that once an announcement has been made, as official policy it should never be reversed. Otherwise, what is the point of notifying passengers?

Now I don't mean information obtained on EF or FlightAware or such; but an e-mail from AA, you should be able to take it to the bank.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Get to the airport. You'll have plenty of time to catch up on your sleep flying to NRT.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
It is reasonable that once an announcement has been made, as official policy it should never be reversed. Otherwise, what is the point of notifying passengers?

Now I don't mean information obtained on EF or FlightAware or such; but an e-mail from AA, you should be able to take it to the bank.
What about this situation:
A flight to XYZ is delayed until 7 pm because the incoming aircraft is late. The crew is available, but there’s no plane. At 5:30 pm, passengers are told that the flight is delayed until 7 pm.

Shortly thereafter, the first officer for a flight at an adjacent gate becomes ill and the flight is cancelled because of the lack of crew.

The flight to XYZ could now use the aircraft that is available.

Option 1: Use the available aircraft for the flight to XYZ and it is able to leave at 6:30 pm.
Option 2: “Official policy” means that once the delay has been communicated to passengers, the flight cannot leave before 7 pm.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:49 pm

There 3 ways I see that the airline can handle this:
a) Keep posting 10 minute delays until the issue is resolved, making everyone hang around the gate waiting, without the reasonable chance to go to a bar/lounge/restaurant.
b) Post a delay of when the flight is expected to leave, and if the issue is resolved earlier than expected, then the crew can hang out in the gate with the passengers looking at the ready plane, but unable to depart because of official policy.
c) The current situation, which gives passengers an estimate of the delay, allowing them to make alternate arrangements for different routings to deal with misconnects, etc., but with the knowledge that if they can leave earlier they will.

Which alternative do you think is better?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
We’ve had a few members who assumed the delay was reliable and missed their flights because they departed earlier than originally rescheduled. You’d be taking a significant risk sleeping in IMO.
I realize that Chinese policies aren't of much relevance here, but the current rule is updated departure times become actual departure times. I am a big fan of this.
ashill likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
I concur with what most people have recommended: plan for both the original scheduled time (get there on time) and plan for delays if they really happen (lounge, book, etc). I had a flight last week where a delay was announced the night before, and reverted back to the original scheduled time only about an hour before the original scheduled time. I was right in the middle of a work assignment that I thought I would have time to complete given the announced delay.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by djheini
There 3 ways I see that the airline can handle this:
a) Keep posting 10 minute delays until the issue is resolved, making everyone hang around the gate waiting, without the reasonable chance to go to a bar/lounge/restaurant.
b) Post a delay of when the flight is expected to leave, and if the issue is resolved earlier than expected, then the crew can hang out in the gate with the passengers looking at the ready plane, but unable to depart because of official policy.
c) The current situation, which gives passengers an estimate of the delay, allowing them to make alternate arrangements for different routings to deal with misconnects, etc., but with the knowledge that if they can leave earlier they will.

Which alternative do you think is better?
Alternative (b), obviously.

If you can't trust the revised schedule, what is the point of announcing it? Otherwise you don't really have "a reasonable chance to go to a bar/lounge/restaurant" and it's a potentially unnecessary hassle to "make alternate arrangements for different routings".

I believe train schedules in Europe and India work that way...if a delay is announced, it is written in stone.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:29 am

So you're OK with 120 people waiting around for 30 minutes unnecessarily so that you can have a couple of beers in the AC?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:34 am

OP - if you're on 2435 this morning, it's currently showing an on time departure.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:49 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Another option re post #19 (from personal experience), I was flying DFW to LAS, the inbound was delayed, after deplaning arriving pax the GA announced "we won't boarding for approx. 30 minutes--plane cleaning issues", 5 minutes later "we are ready to board"...I wonder if all the pax who left the gate area actually made it onto the flt.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:15 am
Original Poster

A couple of hours after notifying us of the delay—-and after being told by the AA rep that it was unlikely to change—-they reverted to the original time. The incoming flight was several hours late but apparently not close enough to trigger the crew rest limit after all.
cedric likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
So, you are back to regular schedule, hopefully on your way to the airport.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Alternative (b), obviously.
Even if it means you risk missing a tight connection?
I believe train schedules in Europe and India work that way...if a delay is announced, it is written in stone.
Based on my experiences traveling around Europe on trains, that is not the case.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I never trust any delay times published by AA's flight information system. AA is horrible about passing along accurate operational data to front line systems. This includes GAs, CSRs, web alerts, etc. Everyone gets the same bad data from Ops.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT-Pro, Priority Club Plt, Hilton Gold, Hyatt
Where do you find that kind of info on EF? I've been a paid member for years but have only used it for figuring out upgrades etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.