Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seat assignments on JL and JL as AA codeshares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
From the thread Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare (link)In the Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank forum

Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:

N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.

**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.
If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:58 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC

Some slightly vexing weirdness due to lack of oneworld systems integration:

I booked LGA-ORD-NRT on AA connecting to NRT-PUS on JL. I was able to get the JAL record locator and assign an exit row seat for the JL segment on JAL.com at the time of booking. In the ExpertFlyer seatmap, that row showed up as blocked, but after I selected the seat, it did indeed show the seat occupied with the rest of the row blocked.

My concern is that when I checked in with AA, I only got boarding passes for the two AA segments, and the occupied seat on the JL segment has disappeared from the EF seatmap. JAL.com still shows me assigned to that seat, but I got all the way to the end of Web Check-in only to have the "Issue" button be grayed out for my boarding pass.

Any first-hand experiences with how to deal with this and whether to sweat it or not? JAL US Customer Service is closed for the night, so I guess I will have to try to get a BP at LGA tomorrow.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:32 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Well, got my BP at the LGA AC apparently without incident.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:12 am

Seat assignments on JL award flights

I have an upcoming JL award in F and I called JL to see if I could swap my pre-assigned center seat to a window but they said all they could do was put in a request to the checkin desk and that I should follow up day of departure. I totally understand that they want to hold the best F seats for paid fares and JMB members, but is there any point in pursuing this further? Does JL open up these window seats for assignment closer in to departure?

The CSR said they were blocked for bassinet and wheelchair bound passengers.

Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Assuming you used AAdvantage miles, did you try calling AA? If that doesn't work, you may need to ask to have this thread moved to the JL forum so the experts there can explain how JL handles seat assignments in advance. Long shot: have you tried getting the JL PNR and adjusting the seat assignment on JL's site?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:33 am

I haven't asked AA to swap seats but I'll try at lunch. I have the JL pnr and actually called JL For the info above.

The JL website only shows two center seats available, hence why I was calling to see if a CSR could force it through.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
If you're on Twitter, tweet the AA handle. I've found them very responsive, including changing seats on OW partners.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Try the RJ site, I changed my seat in PY, and in pretty sure it stuck even though it didn't completely look like it.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:00 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Also note that the JAL site for US region is not fully functional (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...10-2015-a.html). If this affects you, you can use JAL's site for non-US regions (e.g., http://www.hk.jal.com/hkl/en/).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by swy
Also note that the JAL site for US region is not fully functional (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...10-2015-a.html). If this affects you, you can use JAL's site for non-US regions (e.g., http://www.hk.jal.com/hkl/en/).
Thanks, the HK site worked. Both flights are showing only 2G open so I'll cross my fingers and hope for a reassignment at the gate.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Abidjan
If you're on Twitter, tweet the AA handle. I've found them very responsive, including changing seats on OW partners.
Thanks for the suggestion. Twitter team was very responsive but ultimately couldn't get me another seat.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.9MM and counting, HHDiamond, SPG Plat
Help! JAL not allowing AA codeshare flight to select seats or check in

Booked multi segment flight US to orient, via USA AA website and confirm w AA exp desk over 1 month ago. At booking, was told JAL seats Wd be assigned in a day or two. Flight is under 72 hrs away. JAL site doesn't recognize AA codeshare, and AA exp desk, after multiple phone calls is useless. Have JAL booking locator # which is different than AA locator, but when entered on JAL site no option to pull up the AA codeshare flight, only JL listed by their flight #, and cross system doesn't allow further progress. Says call local office for help. When call AA they say JAL issue, JAL say AA, catch 22. I need a seat assignment, pref exit row. Flight is aa8412 on oct 24 BKK-NRT. ANY SUGGESTIONS? Have very limited Internet due to rural destination here in Asia. Many thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:33 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Frustrating indeed. If you purchased a discounted fare you indeed may not be able to select a seat ahead of time.

However, give this a shot. Go to the Japan Airlines main welcome page. Select "Japan" as your country, then "English" as language.

On the next page you'll need to click on the top navigation on "International Flights". On the left, below the booking interface, you'll see "My International Booking." Try logging in there with your confirmation code for the JL flight.

The Japanese site uses a different interface than the US site and I've found that it will pull up my reservations when the US site won't. The AA-coded JL flights can be problematic that way. You may still not be able to select seats but that's one way to check.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.9MM and counting, HHDiamond, SPG Plat
Thanks, but tried that. Once past the page of no dangerous goods, system says no itennary found. Any other suggestions? U can pm me email or text # that may have worked. Many thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
JL seat pre-assignment AA marketed/JL operated

Booked NRT-CGK AA marketed/JL operated. Went to JL Japan site here is what I received above my booking:
Please note that there are some restrictions because the reservation made by other than JAL' reservation system.
It might not be updated.
It might not be shown all.
Unable to assign or change your seats through JAL home page.
Please ask your travel agents or airlines you asked.
If you made the reservation on other than JAL home page at Japan region, please call JMB award reservations and services.

I suppose that O on JL does not allow for pre-assigned even though PLT status???
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:17 am
Suspended

I definitely do NOT know if this has changed at all, but other threads, etc., I tried to summarize here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25648451-post3.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.