Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: survey about upgrades 23 Jul 2018 -- changes on the way?

Speculation: survey about upgrades 23 Jul 2018 -- changes on the way?

Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:55 pm

Wow, so many posts about a survey. Surveys don't reveal what is going to happen or how management is thinking. It only means that some group of underlings was charged with doing a survey. It looks they're doing a good job.

Surveys are intended to tell them things, not to tell you anything.

Also, they don't have to survey everyone, just get enough data to reach statistically significant conclusions. Polling is all about sampling. It's not an election with universal suffrage. The fact that they didn't send you the survey isn't news.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 27, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My experience is that surveys are used to prove or display certain assumptions. Either way the days of “free stuff” in the airline loyalty schemes are slowly coming into an end except for the biggest of spenders.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
My experience is that surveys are used to prove or display certain assumptions. Either way the days of “free stuff” in the airline loyalty schemes are slowly coming into an end except for the biggest of spenders.
It's a fascinating concept isn't it? I mean I wonder how many of the people posting in this thread make their living (and thus earn their money for travel) working for companies that give their absolute "best stuff" away for free to people that don't spend the most money with them? I'm going to guess the answer is not many...

Regards
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
How much does AA get per year from Citibank and Barclays for the stuff that folks are calling free giveaways?
Spiff likes this.

Last edited by beachfan; Jul 29, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Actually, this isn't my experience at all.

Where I've worked, a survey is treated like a product launch. It is so highly visible and scrutinized that it needs to be treated as a company product launch. You should presume that the press, the public and your competitors will pore over it and speculate loudly about what they see. Underlings do not manage these things.

The length of this thread is evidence enough that all precautions are justified.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
If you don't realize that the world of complimentary upgrades on most airlines is rapidly coming to a close you are in denial...

Regards
What difference does it make? My domestic complimentary upgrades seldom clear anyway.

I am flying to ORD on Wednesday. The flight has been sold-out in F for over a week.

They make it far harder to gain status and give far less for it. And they expect loyalty? Someone at AA (and UA) forgot that loyalty is a two-way street.

I am flying to HKG next week in revenue C. It's not on AA, by choice. I'll enjoy my flight on CX far more.

Originally Posted by fotographer
I think AA has forgotten about me.. no email yet..
And me.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
To paraphrase the great Gordo & CO- these are "flip-flop flyers"

Plus Doug is working on his book "From First to Worst"
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
To paraphrase the great Gordo & CO- these are "flip-flop flyers"

Plus Doug is working on his book "From First to Worst"
With this caption at the bottom:

"We will never lose money again"

Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
What difference does it make? My domestic complimentary upgrades seldom clear anyway.
I agree- but then I booked an MCI-BOS round trip late last year, after maybe one other trip per year on AA for the past few years, but with LT Gold status and got upgraded on 3 out of 4 segments. Made no sense at all even though I was happy to be upgraded. I would have thought they could have found more "worthy" passengers.

To get back to the OT- I haven't seen the survey. I have a LOT of experience with e-Rewards and my guess, similar to others, is that they're testing ideas for downgrading the program and looking for the least distasteful, hence the forced choices. They lost my loyalty when they stopped offering lounge access to Golds on International coach flights, which was all my last employer would pay for.

Now that I'm retired I pay for Business Class when I want it and I take whatever airline fits my schedule and other preferences. Very liberating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.