Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: survey about upgrades 23 Jul 2018 -- changes on the way?

Speculation: survey about upgrades 23 Jul 2018 -- changes on the way?

Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Traveling Salesman
I received the same survey only scud a little different based on my Delta status. I hope they don't make any changes.
I moved from delta because of the lack of upgrades.
If you don't realize that the world of complimentary upgrades on most airlines is rapidly coming to a close you are in denial...

Regards
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
If you don't realize that the world of complimentary upgrades on most airlines is rapidly coming to a close you are in denial...
Its been that way on non USA airlines for a very looong time.
Or free things like SWU's.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
If they mess with systemwide upgrades too much then I would be likely to change my flying from AA. The systemwide upgrades and OWE are pretty much the only reason I stick with them. I got the same survey and not sure if they were trying to find out what would fly and what wouldnt or just fishing for answers to justify changes they want to make already. Programs change all the time and that is normal so you just have to make a decision year after year which makes the most sense for your situation.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt GLB
Hope that everyone is looking forward to TOD upgrades and more elite "benefit" devaluations. I agree about the lack of freeform comments. SDCFC is absolutely worthless garbage now, so why would I choose it as a benefit.

Very happy that I'm pursing free agency.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
This would also increase the value of Basic Economy and decrease the value of regular Main Cabin Fares. They're already charging a premium for the possibility to get an upgrade while decreasing your ability to actually upgrade. As an NYC based AA flyer, I think maybe I'll just status match to Delta once these get announced.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
My questions (even as EXP and United Gold) were different than yours.

I would say that they have realized (a bit late) that using EQD running totals as the decider means that the same people always get the upgrades and they have discovered that they need a way to bring upgrades to more people, as well as a way to extract more revenue (or miles) from upgrades.

The odd thing to me was that there was no mention of killing the copay on mileage upgrades, which would be a nice thing to do for elites.

Also, the two confirmable at any time SWUs could simply for a 1-for-2 arrangement (for twice as many upgrade points you can confirm an upgrade at any time).

I would also have liked to tell them ti kill complementary upgrades for a few and give everyone (in differing amounts) confirmable domestic upgrade vouchers. That would still be completely fair to everyone but would spread out the upgrade benefits to more people.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
I normally go out of my way to avoid unnecessary cynicism, but this survey (for which I received my invitation yesterday) strongly smacked of a search for "How can we generate more revenue from tier benefits, in the least objectionable manner".

ATL being my "home" airport, there's typically a dearth of "high-tiered" AA flyers on a majority of the routes I fly. (I'm also fortunate in that my schedule tends not to coincide with the higher volume Monday am/Friday pm business traffic.) Consequently, I enjoy a very strong upgrade success rate. I'm selfishly averse to any change that might reduce the number of complimentary upgrades I benefit from, or which might require fees that I currently don't incur.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Wow. If AA messes with their upgrades, as a Colorado based flyer...I am GONE! If they move to a TOD based system a la UA, then there is no longer a reason for me to NOT fly UA as it is much more convenient and has more options out of all of Colorado airports. The much better upgrade percentage on AA is THE deciding factor for me to book AA over UA on most trips.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Wow. If AA messes with their upgrades, as a Colorado based flyer...I am GONE! If they move to a TOD based system a la UA, then there is no longer a reason for me to NOT fly UA as it is much more convenient and has more options out of all of Colorado airports. The much better upgrade percentage on AA is THE deciding factor for me to book AA over UA on most trips.
I have similar thoughts as an ORD flyer. Ive always chosen AA in the past because of SWUs and domestic upgrades. If AAs system is just like UAs then there will be no reason to stay. UA has better award availability using miles and better partners to fly where I want to go.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If AA were to make unlimited upgrades an either/or alternative to 4 domestic upgrade coupons, this would make AA a much worse plan for elites than United. United currently awards Regional Upgrade (RUP) coupons in addition to unlimited complimentary upgrades. Of course, RUP space isn't highly available, nor are complimentary upgrades. My upgrade percentage on AA is far better than on United.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:11 am

Going against the grain here.......the number of upgrades handed out on AA reduces my ability as a paid Domestic F flyer to standby on earlier services and retaining my F seat. Therefore, if the number of upgrades handed out are reduced, I would actually be quite happy.

Fully expecting to get shot down in flames
Spanish likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I share the high skepticism that this will all lead to a devaluation of the program and a better monetization of the first class cabin on non-peak business routes. Hence the question regarding how long will be consider a flight change for a paid-upgrade into first.

However, I wouldn't mind some shake-up with upgrade procedures as a plat pro that gets no SWUs anyways, and is far enough behind other elites on my routes through DFW that I don't really think I have any decent chance on getting an upgrade when it matters right now anyways. That, and it bugs me that about half the MCE seats are being filled with seat-assigned-at-check-in basic economy passengers. There should be a better way to manage that.

My overall opinion of the AA system is that sure the top tier gets great treatment (SWUs, always top of the list, etc), but the upgrade benefits quickly depreciate from there on down especially for hub-based members that fly elite-heavy routes. I know that most of you here are in that top tier and want to protect your great treatment, but I wouldn't mind getting a bone thrown at me every once in a while. Or even be able to pay a bit to get a confirmed F seat if they are available and about to be given away to ExecPlats otherwise.
cfw likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Nerdy and possibly irrelevant side comment on this survey, which I also received: part of my work is in survey research. This was a classic conjoint survey - a way to determine which attributes are most important to which kind of elite customers on AA. Quoting from Wikipedia: "A controlled set of potential products or services is shown to survey respondents and by analyzing how they make preferences between these products, the implicit valuation of the individual elements making up the product or service can be determined. These implicit valuations (utilities or part-worths) can be used to create market models that estimate market share, revenue and even profitability of new designs." In other words, there are too many options to show each respondent all of them, so everyone gets some options to rank, and the survey firm can assemble preferences of the overall group or any sub-part with enough respondents to tell AA which options will piss off more of which kind of flyer.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by yoganeck
Some scary questions, indeed.

And, also very annoyed at the inability for any free-form comments whatsoever. Specifically, why do $ co-pays for upgrades (whether requested ahead of time, or last-minute offerings at check-in) NOT count toward EQD?

And I hate survey questions that, on purpose, lack the response selection that one would obviously make if it were there. Forced to choose from two crappy options.
They probably know you don't want any of them, so of these bad choices, which one will you hate the least.

#GoingForGreat
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Or even be able to pay a bit to get a confirmed F seat if they are available and about to be given away to ExecPlats otherwise.
Woah... doubt many EXPs will share that view!

However, I do think this is key to monetizing the Premium Cabins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.