Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite Qualifying Miles for purchased AA business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM

I am pretty sure this information is available in a prior thread and/or on the AA website but I searched and did not find the answer, so please forgive me if this is an old question.
I just flew SMF-DFW-KEF-DFW-SMF in paid business class.
For the DFW-KEF-DFW segments I received EQMs equal to 1.5 times the flight miles.
The booking code was R for these segments and J for the domestic segments.
Did I receive the correct EQMs?--I thought paid business class received 2 times or even 3 times EQMs.
I am planning to call AAdvantage Customer Service, but I thought I should be armed with the facts before calling.
Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by card1953
I am pretty sure this information is available in a prior thread and/or on the AA website but I searched and did not find the answer, so please forgive me if this is an old question.
I just flew SMF-DFW-KEF-DFW-SMF in paid business class.
For the DFW-KEF-DFW segments I received EQMs equal to 1.5 times the flight miles.
The booking code was R for these segments and J for the domestic segments.
Did I receive the correct EQMs?--I thought paid business class received 2 times or even 3 times EQMs.
I am planning to call AAdvantage Customer Service, but I thought I should be armed with the facts before calling.
Thanks for any help.
Yes , all paid business class should earn 2.0 EQM, give AAdvantage Customer Service a call.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks, just what I was looking for.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes , all paid business class should earn 2.0 EQM
And J class earns 3x, although OP didn't state there were any issues on the domestic segments.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Thanks, just what I was looking for.
I assume that the flights were on AA numbers, 1.5 would be correct for another OW flight.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MADPhil
I assume that the flights were on AA numbers, 1.5 would be correct for another OW flight.
Has to be right? SMF-DFW-KEF and back, there is no partner that AA codeshares with/alliance member that would fly that routing.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Has to be right? SMF-DFW-KEF and back, there is no partner that AA codeshares with/alliance member that would fly that routing.
I would assume that, but you never know and the 1.5 factor fits.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:56 pm

I have noticed several times now that you can get 1.5 instead of 2.0

I noticed this only recently, but I have now seen a few Business class tickets booking with a code that is designated as a 1.5x instead of 2.0. You almost always see it if the price is much lower than a typical business flight for a segment. I was looking at a few randomly because I wanted to get in a 2x multiplier to maintain status and that's when I came across it. It can happen.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enichols22124
I noticed this only recently, but I have now seen a few Business class tickets booking with a code that is designated as a 1.5x instead of 2.0. You almost always see it if the price is much lower than a typical business flight for a segment. I was looking at a few randomly because I wanted to get in a 2x multiplier to maintain status and that's when I came across it. It can happen.
not that I can see. See the link - none if the business class buckets give less than 2 EQM.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2018 at 11:07 pm Reason: Activate link
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
From the link above:

Discount First / Business A, D, I , R 2.00 EQM

We’re doing SMF-DFW-KEF Business next month (albeit on award).
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Enjoy

Originally Posted by JDiver
From the link above:

Discount First / Business A, D, I , R 2.00 EQM

We’re doing SMF-DFW-KEF Business next month (albeit on award).
It was a good trip. But raining and 50 degrees almost the whole time!
And yes, the domestic segments were in J and 3 times EQMs posted correctly.
I called AACS today and explained the discrepancy in posting of the international segments which should have been 2 times EQMs, not 1.5 times EQMs.
The agent said the best course of action was to refer the issue to the "fare review department" rather than to "complicate things" by making a manual adjustment. I hope he was right.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It was a good trip. But raining and 50 degrees almost the whole time!
And yes, the domestic segments were in J and 3 times EQMs posted correctly.
I called AACS today and explained the discrepancy in posting of the international segments which should have been 2 times EQMs, not 1.5 times EQMs.
The agent said the best course of action was to refer the issue to the "fare review department" rather than to "complicate things" by making a manual adjustment. I hope he was right.
I'd rather have the agent "complicate things" if that gets me what I want faster
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:11 am
Original Poster

I wasn't surprised there was a problem

Originally Posted by mvoight
I'd rather have the agent "complicate things" if that gets me what I want faster
The "funny" thing was that I expected there to be a problem because I could not check in on line, and when I checked in at the counter at SMF the agent said the system kept asking for an upgrade instrument. I said it was purchased business class, not upgraded. She then "went into the back" and used a different computer to bypass the screen asking for an upgrade. Never seen that before.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
The "funny" thing was that I expected there to be a problem because I could not check in on line, and when I checked in at the counter at SMF the agent said the system kept asking for an upgrade instrument. I said it was purchased business class, not upgraded. She then "went into the back" and used a different computer to bypass the screen asking for an upgrade. Never seen that before.

Edit: Looking in the wrong place, apparently
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

R class is used on domestic/short-haul flights for elite upgrades to first/business class. But it is also a paid business class fare on long-haul flights (between J and D in the hierarchy). That may have caused the confusion at check-in -- seeing you booked in what they thought was an upgrade class but with no upgrade instrument attached as would be required on this flight (i.e., no complimentary EXP upgrades). However, you'd think the computer system would be set up for this.

Doesn't really explain how they came up with 1.5x EQMs though, as the only AA-marketed flights that earn that level are in W/P/Y class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.