Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Adding Aer lingus flight to AA award ticket (can not be done)

Old Jul 22, 18, 8:44 am
Original Poster

real quick please. Booking AA award flight from clt to dub and want to add a connection to lhr. Can I add a connection on Aer lingus for the same 30k saver award price? Thanks
Old Jul 22, 18, 8:46 am

Programs: AA PLT
No, Aer Lingus is not a Oneworld, nor an AAdvantage partner airline.
Old Jul 22, 18, 10:39 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
real quick please. Booking AA award flight from clt to dub and want to add a connection to lhr. Can I add a connection on Aer lingus for the same 30k saver award price? Thanks
As Djokison has already noted, you can't do this on Aer Lingus. But you can do it on British Airways, if space is available. The 30k saver award will still apply, though the fees will increase somewhat.
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Wasnít worth the headache. Just added a separate Aer lingus flight for $73.
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks. Wasnít worth the headache. Just added a separate Aer lingus flight for $73.
How much was BA for that leg? With a separate ticket on BA, AA would protect you in the event of IRROPS; with a separate ticket on EI, AA won't.
Old Jul 22, 18, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Ba wasnít much more but the timings on Aer lingus were better. Trying to get to Heathrow as early as possible. I land in Dublin at 715 am and I got the EI flight at 830. Should be enough time I hope. No checked bags
Old Jul 22, 18, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Ba wasn’t much more but the timings on Aer lingus were better. Trying to get to Heathrow as early as possible. I land in Dublin at 715 am and I got the EI flight at 830. Should be enough time I hope. No checked bags
I don't think that's going to work if you're starting in the USA, you've only given yourself 45 minutes to clear EU customs and immigration (even though the UK is your destination, you are on a separate ticket so you need to do EU customs first), then get back through airport security. If you can cancel or change that EI ticket still, I would.
Old Jul 22, 18, 1:22 pm

Ba wasnít much more but the timings on Aer lingus were better. Trying to get to Heathrow as early as possible. I land in Dublin at 715 am and I got the EI flight at 830. Should be enough time I hope. No checked bags
Good luck, you'll need it.
Old Jul 22, 18, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks for the advice. Iíll cancel and book the 940 am flight. Now if I clear security quickly can I try to standby on the earlier flight? Thanks for all the advice
Old Jul 22, 18, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Ok thanks for the advice. Iíll cancel and book the 940 am flight. Now if I clear security quickly can I try to standby on the earlier flight? Thanks for all the advice
Phew, I'm glad you were able to cancel, I was stressed out when I was replying last time on your behalf
You might be best off asking the standby question in the EI forum if folks here (like myself) don't know: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-lingus-aerclub-718/
Old Jul 22, 18, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Since you're rebooking DUB-LON, why not rebook on BA? You'd get a choice of LHR or LCY, and you'd be protected in case of IRROPS. In fact, if your CLT-DUB flight were to get cancelled or substantially delayed, you could ask AA to accommodate you on its CLT-LHR nonstop.
Old Jul 22, 18, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Standby is generally not allowed on international flights. Deep-discount tickets on European airlines are often non-changeable, full stop.

But the true answer would be a function of the fare rules of your ticket and the airlineís policies - generally out of the scope of this forum but probably not too difficult to find out.
Old Jul 23, 18, 7:28 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Umm..I get the website to show me award itins with Aer Lingus connections from DUB-LHR.
Old Jul 23, 18, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexbellamy View Post
Umm..I get the website to show me award itins with Aer Lingus connections from DUB-LHR.
it can be confusing. it's definitely not a one world partner anymore; even though on google flights when i put to show me only one world flights it showed me aer lingus flights (hence my initial confusion) but they seem to be a BA partner (like etihad airways partnership with AA)
Old Jul 23, 18, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by alexbellamy View Post
Not on aa.com you didn't.

it can be confusing. it's definitely not a one world partner anymore; even though on google flights when i put to show me only one world flights it showed me aer lingus flights (hence my initial confusion) but they seem to be a BA partner (like etihad airways partnership with AA)
Yep, Aer Lingus is a partner of BA (the two have the same parent company, IAG). BA codeshares on Aer Lingus flights, which is why Google Flights will sometimes show Aer Lingus options when oneworld is checked.

Back to the topic at hand, when is the flight in question?

A sAAver economy ticket to LHR is generally very easy to find. Depending on when it is I'm not sure I'd go through the hassle of an award to DUB with separate paid ticket to LHR. At the very least I would book CLT-DUB-LHR on AA/BA as a single award then just switch to an AA flight straight to LHR when it opens up. There are tons of options from CLT.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: